260,260ack or creedmoor

Swarovski1

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the availability of .260 Lapua brass I would not bother necking down .308 brass. It can be down but there will always be that nagging thought that is this brass shooting as well as it could and am I going to get a donut forming at the neck and shoulder junction. Use the correct brass from the start and there will be no need to worry.

OAL of my .260 with 139 grn Scenars is 2.824, I use 42.5 grains of N160, BR-2 primers, 0.005" off the lands, velocity is about 2700 fps. Not tried any other bullets as the accuracy with the Scenars is outstanding.

I thought your scenar load was going to be warp speed,you say they are outstanding for accuracy,is that at 1000yds,did you have them stoked up and found slower was more accurate, how fast have you chronied them, ive only had 40 or 50 to try in my 6.5 06, had one load that shot half inch groups at 2861fps, have shot them at 1000yds but they wernt as good as 142gr smks or I didnt shoot aswell when I shot them, will get another box to try a couple more loads, will the 260 have any ballistic advantage over a 308 at 600yds

I run my .260 with 139scenars at 2710. Doesn't sound fast but the scenars have great bc and are still just supersonic at 1200yds. I found it shot well with this load (out to 1200) and don't feel the need for more speed. Brass lasts well and hopefully my barrel will too!

John. I am about to switch to n160 partly to do with availability and partly after all the hype about n560 burning barrels. Is your load near case capacity and have you tried hotter loads? Intersted to see where your setup starts to show pressure signs.

Rup

It's a Tikka 595 with 27" sendero profile 1:8 twist Pacnor throated for the 139 scenar on the lands at 2.950". ATM, I run it 15thou off with 43.5gr N560.

It now sits in a Master Sporter stock which I plan to fit with McKillops "top hat" pillars. Shoots pretty well unbedded but shoot it in all weather conditions and feel it will improve consistency with pillars. Not going to full bed though as not sure walnut stocks benefit that much and don't want to desecrate a classic stock.

It's my budget build that started as a £300 .243 donor :-)

Thats pretty impressive ballistics bradders,it must of shot pretty well at 1000yds,I think my mate runs uis on 42grs of n160 and 26 inch barrel and his are doing 2600fps I think, oaken, yours being throated for scenars makes for better velocities with less pressures then.

It won the 1000yd snaps in the PR Nationals 2 years running (once by someone I loaned it to)

yours being throated for scenars makes for better velocities with less pressures then.

I am not in any way,shape or form, an expert on ballistics.

The fact that I can seat the bullet a bit longer means more powder capacity and possibly that the butt of the bullet sits in a better position in the case but is this by no means indicates that the overall setup will handle any more pressure!

Interesting that John found that new brass showed extractor marks more readily than fire formed brass, I have not heard of that before. I did my initial load dev with the first firing of new brass and might explain how others (claim?) get significantly higher velocities without damaging their brass. My current load is .75grain lower than where extractor marks occurred but proved to be a sweet spot with ladder tests so stuck with it.

I am about to start working up a load from scratch with N160 so might find that more pressure can be handled. Time will tell :-)

Also contemplating using the 123gr scenar as many seem to get better accuracy with this bullet, it may suite the N160 better as I believe it is a tad faster than N560. I welcome any advice from those with experience .....

Rup

Mine will be armalon remy 700 with a 26 inch armalon barrel, probaly not fluted, probaly an armalon brake, aics green thumbhole stock which I think is the best looking stock ever made, leupy mk4 6.5x20x50, cracking scope, would like the 25 mag one for my 6.5 06, I would really like the roedale copy of the same stock to fit t3 action, still got that horrible t3v stock onnit at the mo, unfortunately havent the money to replace it at the mo, I struggle with seeing the markers on fig11 at 1000yds, its a colour blind thing, the extra mag would help a little, would like the 50 mag pm2, thats real nice.

Archived