NEW 52mm March tactical and hunting scopes NOW WITH PICS

Gary C

Those March scopes look very nice!

I converted over to FFP and milliradians (adjustment and reticle) a few years ago and I now wonder how I ever coped with SFP and MOA. FFP mil/mil just makes everything easy - reticle markings match adjustments at all magnifications and the adjustments seem easier to remember.

The one that puzzles me is why some people insist on referring to mils as 'metric'. Milliradians are an angular measurement and have nothing to do with the metric system.

The one that puzzles me is why some people insist on referring to mils as 'metric'. Milliradians are an angular measurement and have nothing to do with the metric system.

True, but 1 Mil subtends approximately 1 Metre at a range of 1000 Metres. Therefore 1/10th of a Mildot (1 click on a Metric turret) ~10cm at 1000 Metres and ~1cm at 100 Metres. Very simple maths.

Regards

JCS

True, but 1 Mil also subtends 1 foot at 1000 feet and 1 yard at 1000 yards. It has nothing to do with the metric system.

Mils have a decimal basis Degrees Minutes and seconds certainly don't.

The metric/imperial comparison certainly strikes me as valid and easy to understand.

Meters and cm are decimal, feet and inches aren't......etc

Hmm - decimal basis, but only in the sense that 1 Mil is 1/1000 of a Radian, where 2 Pi radians makes a whole circle. It's an angle, so it matters not one bit what linear system is used to measure the dimensions of the circle.

Anyway - nice scopes! My apologies for hijacking the thread.

Hmm - decimal basis, but only in the sense that 1 Mil is 1/1000 of a Radian, where 2 Pi radians makes a whole circle.

:lol: only a decimal basis in the sense that it's a ratio that works in base 10. :lol: A relationship where the arc subtended is 1/1000 of the radius is only 'sort of' decimal :rolleyes::) I'm sure you also know that the working mil isn't actually a mil - rather than the 2 Pi relationship (6283) it'll be either 6000, 6200 or 6400 depending on national military taste - for ease of halving (cardinal points etc) most Westerners are on 6400. And, as a unit of angular measurement invented for military use, it is expressly wedded to the metric system - all Western military mapping is metric.

Utility in imperial?

Answer this within 5 seconds of reading the question: Calculate the width (in yards or feet) for a gap subtending 15 mRad that you've determined on the map as being 3 miles away.

Now do it (width in metres) for a gap subtending 15mRad and that the map tells you is 3km away.

(45m is the answer to the second one, worked that out whilst still typing the question.)

The mil was designed for military use, artillery, and its design was expressly wedded to practicality with the metric system. Any other comment is sheer pedantry ! :)

Right, back to these new March scopes :)

image_zps3b886410.jpg

IMG_0610_zps6da1293f.jpg

IMG_0608_zpsebd5f239.jpg

The size of these is really appealing, are there any options on turret direction?

Having battered my brain and wallet in converting all of my scopes to CW elevation going back to CCW would be painful.

Tony

Hi Tony

Watch this space ;) will be able to advise more after the shot show, there is a possibility of this in the future.

I now have pricing:

both FFP and 2FP models are the same price:

3-24x52mm & 2.5-25x52mm Non illuminated in MIL and MOA £1852.98 + vat

Illuminated: £2208.24 + vat

Same choice of rets as in the 42mm versions.

also while I am at it all 2014 March Scopes (apart from Benchrest) will come with flip caps these are also available to retro fit, they are good quality and will flip and turn to the side of the scope, we should have this late Jan (nothing like the Butler creek caps)

post-11459-0-48396300-1385749038_thumb.jpg

regards

Gary

March Scopes UK

01293 606901

The size of these is really appealing, are there any options on turret direction?

Having battered my brain and wallet in converting all of my scopes to CW elevation going back to CCW would be painful.

Tony

Hi Gary

the scope caps would sell as a stand alone,,,,sizes to fit S&B would be attractive,,

Just a thought

John/Andy

Caps will be £30 per set(front and rear objective) or £15 each, they will be a screw in rather than push over fit, not sure if this would suit the other brands, once I get a set (demo due very soon) I will know more.

It's taken us 2 years to get this far so I am extremely pleased to get something to compliment the scope rather than push over plastic/leather caps.

Good weekend

Regards

Gary.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived