pushing the .204 to the limits

bigun

i will hopefuly be getting in to the home loading game very shortly and to help me save time ect i thought i would ask the guys in the know, thats you lot :lol: im useing a remington 32 grn bullet at the moment but it strong winds it needs some lead into the wind which i can do with out if i can help it ..im thinking of useing the 39grn but im still hopeing to keep the same fps if pos or mybe that little bit more power if its going to help :rolleyes: ..what type of powder do i use and how much ect ..my rifle is a remington 700 1in12 twist barrel ..or can you tell me about your findings which is best for the .204 ..thanks bigun ..

Bigun

You will not be able to homeload out of allowing for the wind especially for such a small caliber, you will have to learn to read it and adjust accordingly

I don't think that going from a 32gr to a 39gr bullet will gain you a lot, maybe a bit but not a great deal

Load what works best for the rifle and either compensate for the wind or give it a miss if its to windy

Sorry dont know about the 20 cal myself as per twist to weight requirements but the above stands the same regardless of the caliber unless you can make a large change in the weight and type of bullet used, say a 30 cal changing from a 125gr to a 200gr would see a change in wind characteristics

Ian

Your 1in12 barrel will readily stabalise the 39gr blitzkings, but you wont be able to go any heavier. I have been using a 20 calibre for about 3 years and I have found that the 39gr are easliy the best choice for fox control in my rifle. The BC of the 39gr is much better than that of the 32gr and although you wont be able to acheive the same muzzle velocity as the lighter bullets the higher bc means that you will have a flatter long range trajectory and much better terminal balistics, also the 39gr are very good in their ability to buck the wind. Give them a try, you will ge pleasantly surprised.

All the best,

Nick.

Your 1in12 barrel will readily stabalise the 39gr blitzkings, but you wont be able to go any heavier. I have been using a 20 calibre for about 3 years and I have found that the 39gr are easliy the best choice for fox control in my rifle. The BC of the 39gr is much better than that of the 32gr and although you wont be able to acheive the same muzzle velocity as the lighter bullets the higher bc means that you will have a flatter long range trajectory and much better terminal balistics, also the 39gr are very good in their ability to buck the wind. Give them a try, you will ge pleasantly surprised.

All the best,

Nick.

I agree with the above. It's unreasonable to expect to increase the bullet weight by 20% and expect to attain the same velocity. Better bullet choice is the only way. ~Andrew

Your 1in12 barrel will readily stabalise the 39gr blitzkings..sounding the one to use then :huh: what powder would one use to get the best out of this bullet as i have read that the factory bullets made, use there own powder and wont tell you what powder they have used ? i like to use a powder thats as close to the factory one as possible as they say it gives low barrel fouling and longer barrel life ect .and also how much powder would you use in the shell useing a 39gr blitzking and what brass is the best to use ?? thanks bigun

link for them who dont know about BC like me ..but i now under stand ..thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_coefficient

Here you go Rob, these guys are diamonds.

www.204ruger.com

I will have to check, but i think reloder 10x is good for the blitzking...bear with me. :huh:

Archived