Real world data

Well I think thats what its called when you make your own drop chart as opposed to relying on a ballistic programme, what distance intervals would you recommend, 25? 50? or is 100 workable for a faster bullet? Mainly used for foxing but if the data exists it gets used for longer range vermin. Thanks for looking

Hi Akeld, depends how far you're going out, and what caliber to a lesser extent. Out to 200 there's little rise and fall, 200-400yds i'd suggest 50yd intervals and after that 25yds, but it's gonna take a lot of time and ammo to do it that way.

Mike

I'd do it at 100 yd intervals first then fill in the gaps as time/ammo allows ? ballistic software should be able to get you close so you just have to fine tune?

I stand corrected !

I think it looks like something I need :) however , as i'm about to re-barrel my rifle I think i'll wait till I have relevant data from that tube?

Hi Akeld, depends how far you're going out, and what caliber to a lesser extent. Out to 200 there's little rise and fall, 200-400yds i'd suggest 50yd intervals and after that 25yds, but it's gonna take a lot of time and ammo to do it that way.

Mike

Agreed-I'd add in size of quarry-and I'd want 25 y as distance increases and quarry size decreases-for the smallest,you would benefit from 25y intervals sooner....but you could feed your real world data into a ballistics program and get it to extrapolate,even to 10 yards,to save time/cost/ammo...if you have good 50/25 data...which you need

Gbal

One of the benefits of 'shooting in' your real world data is the practice it gives. Does not matter if you use a thousand rounds; the time spent behind the butt is training, something you cannot get too much of.

.....though ignorant training,is something up with which you should not put.

Archived