just about to start re loading

adam204

I'm going to start re loading for my .204 very soon and was just after a few pointers.

I also want to know how to accurately measure the distance between the bullet and where it touches the rifling? Also do I need to lube the inside of the neck apperture before running the neck sizer throgh it? What lube should I use for this?

Adam I wouldnt worry about getting the length of the cartridge to the rifling, unless youre .204 ruger chamber has been cut with a custom match reamer with a short throat. The throat on most factory .204's are very long and with mine and all I know of we couldnt get to the lands with any bullet, dont worry though as most of them will shoot fine regardless. Best thing to do is seat the bullet to a length that will still will allow it to feed well from the magazine. Just measure some factory ammo and keep it the same as it, use this as a starting point and you can adjust it a bit if you want. As for case lube I used to use a rcbs lube pad and I would lube the necks if youre using redding or similar expander type dies just to help prevent brass draw, I always just stuck the neck into the case lube pad, I found this enough lube to do the job. If you are full length sizing you will need to lube the case body as well dont overdo it though a little will go a long way and too much will dent the case, just roll the case on the lube pad back and forward. Be careful not to get any on the shoulders though as this may case the shoulder to dent as well.

I would reccommend you try the 32g v-max first off and either reloader 10x, H322 or N133. H BL-C(2) works well too but not for the lighter bullets.

+1 on the length and good info from craigboy

google image m24 and look for texas armoury and read their site

they guarrantee there m24 sniper system to give 1/4moa straight out of the box with fed prem or black hills target ammo ( thats top factory loaded rounds at saami length )

2.250" seams to be your saami length (industry standard)

Adam I wouldnt worry about getting the length of the cartridge to the rifling, unless youre .204 ruger chamber has been cut with a custom match reamer with a short throat. The throat on most factory .204's are very long and with mine and all I know of we couldnt get to the lands with any bullet, dont worry though as most of them will shoot fine regardless. Best thing to do is seat the bullet to a length that will still will allow it to feed well from the magazine. Just measure some factory ammo and keep it the same as it, use this as a starting point and you can adjust it a bit if you want. As for case lube I used to use a rcbs lube pad and I would lube the necks if youre using redding or similar expander type dies just to help prevent brass draw, I always just stuck the neck into the case lube pad, I found this enough lube to do the job. If you are full length sizing you will need to lube the case body as well dont overdo it though a little will go a long way and too much will dent the case, just roll the case on the lube pad back and forward. Be careful not to get any on the shoulders though as this may case the shoulder to dent as well.

I would reccommend you try the 32g v-max first off and either reloader 10x, H322 or N133. H BL-C(2) works well too but not for the lighter bullets.

I would advise getting a different case lube. I quit using that sticky, nasty, case-denting-no- matter-how-hard-you-tried-to-avoid-it RCBS case lube 20 years ago in favor of better lubes. I really like Hornady "One Shot" in the aerosol can. (If someone tries to sell you the Eco Friendly version in a pump bottle run the other way. Doesn't work.) ~Andrew

Archived