New Rifle

mildot

I will see how well it/me does at the RRC shoot with once fired f/l sized cases. with the n165 load according to my app the bullet is still doing 1290fps at 1250yds. so plenty to keep it stable. If I still have the urge to play after that I may try H100v or h4350.

currently my .243ai out performs my .260! and the

idea of the .260 is to be better than the .243 hence I got a 30" Tube fitted ! who said rifle and reloading was fun?!?!

Hmmm...I suppose with 100g bullets,the 260 might have..say 100-150 or so fps advantage over the 243,but that could well be wiped out with a good AI 243.....one real issue is that no-one ever measures pressures -and factory loads,even if available might be under SAAMI specs a tad.....or varyingly so.

If "better' really means faster-and that is only one component of 'better',at best-then the comparison is a bit compromised by a very limited overlap of bullets weights-and of course other variables,like barrel length,as you note.And individual rifles ,and....

There won't be an awful lot in it.....

Take comfort-as Einstein said on a grander scale,

"Rafiniert ist Herr Gott,aber Boschaft ist er nicht" -approx,more clearly perhaps:

God may have had to make the world complex,but he has not deliberately made it bloody mindedly complex

The thought helps keep me going when the going gets perplexing.There is a reason,a good objective one-I just don't know what it is yet!

Gbal

my .243ai throw a 105gr pill at 3150fps from a 24" tube! it is more accurate than the .260 with a 30" tube! which means that it has less drop and less drift out to 1k.... well until I play more with the .260.

Trouble is theres far too many variables.

my .243ai throw a 105gr pill at 3150fps from a 24" tube! it is more accurate than the .260 with a 30" tube! which means that it has less drop and less drift out to 1k.... well until I play more with the .260.

Trouble is theres far too many variables.

As Einstein noted.

It helps a little to compare apples with apples.

Barrel length won't affect "accuracy"-or 'precision'=group size,basically

Some barrels externally the same and same chambering are just more accurate than others

Speed does not have much consistent effect on precision-though the best node is not typically at the max velocity

'precision' will have an effecton the spread of shot at 1000,but not a simple 'more drift/drop'-say one rifle is grouping .4 moa another .7moa -the some load-the increase in group size is about 3 inches,from that factor.

Drop and drift are functions of BC-and velocity,but it's a bit misleading to blame them on 'accuracy' differences.

As you say,it's complicated enough,without muddying the waters!

That said,'load development' can become a bit over compulsive,at the expense of wind reading practice-which of course,has to be at the shooting distance,so is not so easily available as changing powders ,but is the more critical skill!-by a lot more than 3 inches!!

Still,it's all a challenge,and they are still making barrels

gbal

Archived