mildot

I took delivery of my new toy last week

Surgeon

CG trigger

30" Lilja 8T 3groove

Aics Stock with Viperskin v2

Sightron S111 8-32x56 MOA2

zjpp.jpg

The following targets are while running the barrel in. they are 3 shot groups to see if theres anything that is a useable load to develop. I have used 2 different powders with 142gr SMK's seated at mag length.

erd1.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

05zn.jpg

As you can see they are all pretty good especially as for some reason I couldn't keep from swaying sideways aswell as gusty wind.

I sent the action to Dolphin to rebarrel. While there, I replaced the skins.

When it wont be used for a couple of weeks it will be sent off for coating.

Forgot to mention that the target were shot at 200yds.

Have to say I think you should look at different powder.

The Groups are not anything to light me up.

Id be firing 5 shot and looking for touching or half inch at 200 at least before starting on seat depth, neck tension, different primers.....

Ive no doubt at all that the rifle will shoot, but the loads at present are not giving you the accuracy im sure is there within.

I have already made up another batch using a different (3rd) powder which I will be trying this week. along with the bestish loads shot so far. Hopefully I wont have the shakes!!!! so can hold steady. as im positive the 1 flyer was me. so if I hold still they should be all touching...

We will see.

The two RHS loads shot with 3100 show the same two together and one away tendency

45g of 4831 is promising, but I think you'd be best shooting 5 shot for a true reflection of grouping ability

Use a stable rest too,,,,,,front and rear (takes the wobble and excitement of new toy factor out)

I only used 3 shot groups as an initial test. as I was testing 16 different loads while running the barrel in. My 2nd batch of test loads are 5 shots which will give me a better idea of what works or doesn't work. although the 3rd powder loads I have made 4 shots then the best couple of loads I will make less jump between powder weights and load 5 rounds each... Its a slow process. I think I should buy a house with a 300m garden! that will make load testing dead easy instead of having to travel 90mile each way to the range! lol all fun though.

The annoying thing is my stalking rifle (sako 75 with McM sako stock) I was able to hold steady no problems. I put 5 shots all touching at 200yds on the same day! but me and that gun just work.

my 3rd powder that I have loaded on Friday is n165 as I already had it for my .243. so between H4831, AA3100 and N165 I should have something that will work! if not then n160 is my next choice

The rifle looks very good, looking forward to seeing it in a few weeks time at the RRC. Guessing you are bringing this one?

Out of interest, how do you find the Rigby bipod on the AI spigot? I could never lock mine down completely to eliminate the tilt function, so ended up modifing the rail attachment and using it underneath.

I shall be using this one if I can get a load sorted in time. Failing that I will fall back to my trusted .243!!! I just cant shoot it beyond 1k as I run out of elevation and mildots right on 1k...

The bipod is great but there is plenty to go wrong if you don't check it regularly. Im glad I bought it in the sales! I will have to look at what mods you have done as im planning on doing quite a few mods to mine when Ive used it abit more and worked out what and how I need to improve it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did my 2nd stage of load testing last week and I don't think my rifle likes H4831.

r0yr.jpg

AA3100 seems to have a nice wide accuracy node.

izbm.jpg

I decided to try N165 as I use this in my .243ai which gives great velocity so I tried it in the .260 and it seems to have a nice accuracy node

ckfd.jpg

I have reloaded the most accurate loads and will hopefully be testing them Thursday at 300yds to see what gives the best accuracy. I will also chrono the loads too.

Mildot ,I'd pause-load up some N165 with 46.4,and .5,.6 if you must fiddle.

Shoot some groups-3 or 5 shots,but a few of them.If the agg is anything like the one shown,that's it.You could go on forever with one off 3 shots.V165 is proven,available.There is no perfect group/load-not every time-partly due to the shooter.

If it does not repeat the performance,ask why-there are only two options-46.4 was atypical,or shooter is inconsistent.

Gbal

John. Thats a dead ringer! Although mine will be ceracoated fde all over!

Oi Tisme.

You said you wernt gunna tell anyone! My finger bloody hurts still!

Gbal

ive tested those loads and all prety good. Foday 46.3 and 46.5 gave approx .3 to .5 moa at 300 for 6 shots! You could see the shot that I fluffed. Take that one away and the groups were def .3 moa

I will be loading 46.4gr for the rrc shoot.

im tempted to try a slightly faster powder to see if I can get more velocity with the same accuracy or better, including consistency.

Gbal

ive tested those loads and all prety good. Foday 46.3 and 46.5 gave approx .3 to .5 moa at 300 for 6 shots! You could see the shot that I fluffed. Take that one away and the groups were def .3 moa

I will be loading 46.4gr for the rrc shoot.

im tempted to try a slightly faster powder to see if I can get more velocity with the same accuracy or better, including consistency.

That's excellent.You have the load.

Play on,if you want to-but what will another?50-100 fps actually do for you-that is worth while,and barrel wear?This 'holy grail' of max velocity seems sometimes misguided to me- .3 is .3,and dead is dead.A couple of clicks less seem trivial,given a typical 8" drop from a 200 zero with most mid cartridges....many rifles don't give their very best accuracy at max+ loads.No harm though in a brief trial...!!

Gbal

I will see how well it/me does at the RRC shoot with once fired f/l sized cases. with the n165 load according to my app the bullet is still doing 1290fps at 1250yds. so plenty to keep it stable. If I still have the urge to play after that I may try H100v or h4350.

currently my .243ai out performs my .260! and the idea of the .260 is to be better than the .243 hence I got a 30" Tube fitted ! who said rifle and reloading was fun?!?!

Archived