.22 wmr

hello all.

thinking about getting a .22 win mag semi auto.

just wanted some nice advice on them.

i wont be wanting a mod on it.

any suggestions for a make/model?

and accuracy i should expect at say 125 yrds?

thanks guys.

I love this calibre , currently running a ruger bolt gun and with the lighter stuff 30/33g it'll hold 1-1.5" at 125m (if I do my bit)

Never had much success with semi autos though (nor met anyone who has?) there is a definite market for a reliable black gun clone in 22wmr though !

hi mate .i had a 22 mag a few years back,it was a ruger bolt action though. easily drop a fox at 100 yrds or so much better than the 17 hmr but not as accurate,i all ways thought the cz auto looked right never shot one .would think you'd get one pritty cheep these days

hello all.

thinking about getting a .22 win mag semi auto.

just wanted some nice advice on them.

i wont be wanting a mod on it.

any suggestions for a make/model?

and accuracy i should expect at say 125 yrds?

thanks guys.

Glad you put that post up as I've just had .22wmr put on my ticket and was wondering about a bolt action or a semi....

But as Pork chop has already said, I've also heard they're not as accurate as the .17hmr and even less so when in a semi-auto version. I presume it's just a case of generally speaking semi-autos are less accurate than bolt actions regardless of calibre...

atb

Jamie

hi Jamie,as tackb said you can expect 1 to 1.5" group so still good enough,great little round so long as it used with in its limits

Hi Pork Chop, have you ever used one in a bolt action?

Did you find the accuracy was any better?

HI BNCH,

I'd agree with most other posts wrt accuracy-there are better rfs now,but not neccessarily better overall. I had an over/under combination 22mag/20g ,which was ok with open sights to about 100y,but that limitation was as much me as the rifle-though I doubt that it would be a very accurate rifle!

The second was a Heckler and Koch semi-lovely light rifle,utterly reliable,but usually 1.5 inches at 100.There was limited choice of ammo then-some of the newer brands might do better....but the 22mag,esp in semi auto, has never been top of the rf accuracy charts.There is a little more choice of rifle now too.

Gbal

Jamie,i had a ruger heavy barrel with laminate stock very nice gun.as said it would do 1to 1.5"groups never had one in auto but i think the general feeling is a bolt gun would be better but that's not aways the case

Jamie,i had a ruger heavy barrel with laminate stock very nice gun.as said it would do 1to 1.5"groups never had one in auto but i think the general feeling is a bolt gun would be better but that's not aways the case

Thanks pork chop.

My thoughts to on the semi vs bolt action.

atb

Jamie

Thanks pork chop.

My thoughts to on the semi vs bolt action.

atb

Jamie

exactly. , as i know they are meant to be less accurate, why?

and secondly i also know there is a bit of an energy drop due to the use of some of the power being used to cycle the rounds.

but nonetheless all the above said, it will still well over compensate on long shots compared to my .22 lr.

thoughts guys ????????

exactly. , as i know they are meant to be less accurate, why?

and secondly i also know there is a bit of an energy drop due to the use of some of the power being used to cycle the rounds.

but nonetheless all the above said, it will still well over compensate on long shots compared to my .22 lr.

thoughts guys ????????

Semi autos tend to be less accurae-sometimes not by much-it's just a design issue-a bit like lever actions,though for different design reasons.Less of an issue perhaps at short rf ranges,but you trade in a little accuracy for whatever it is that the Semi offers-eg fast follow up shots.But think of eg Ruger 22rf-a semi widely used,and accurate-enough-untweaked-within the sensible cartridge envelope,to do the job-a really good bolt action will be a little more accurate,but so what,at short ranges and rabbit size targets.

Energy is not affected-its the blowback recoil that operates the semi's bolt/reload,and bullet is out of muzzle by then-ditto on gas operated semi autos in centre fire (AR 16 eg)-some gas is bled off,but bullet is well on it's way by then.

As a cartridge the 22wmrf add 50+ yards of useable performance compared to a 22 rf, and has more energy especially in the first 100 yards .The 17 HRFM will show a little less drop,and a little less energy effectively delivered compared to the 22wmrf.

One other factor,maybe,is that there is considerably less choice of ammo in 22mag-generally in 22rf you can find some ammo that is quite poor,as well as something that works well..There is less choice for 22mag-that of course applies to bolt actions too.

Gbal

I have HMR and WMR barrels for my Sako

my WMR is more accurate with 33gr than the HMR and hits foxes harder

it outclasses the HMR for energy across the entire trajectory

grew up with semi auto .22's but wouldn't go back now from a bolt action

Archived