Muzzle break or shooter's prone position

AI Perfector

At the heavier duty end of my rifles, I have a Savage 110 BA in 0.338 Lap Mag with manufacturer's muzzle brake. I have always had some considerable difficulty reacquiring the target to spot fall of shot after firing, the muzzle always flipping to the right and taking the target out of the sight picture. I had thought that this was a muzzle brake issue and perhaps I should be thinking of changing it.

Recently, I had my first few pops :D with a new AI AX50 and had the same problem. A fellow 50 Cal shooter suggested that it could be my prone shooting position.

I have not had this issue with any of my lesser (but no less loved) rifles and have been shooting for some 40 years with some reasonable degree of success, both sporting and in competition.

Could it be that I now have to think about consciously adjusting my orientation to the weapon or is it more likely to be am adjustment or change of muzzle brake?

It is most definitely your shooting position. Go onto snipers hide and search there, there's lots on how to correctly position yourself or prone shooting. I use the straight behing the rifle, legs apart method and can get back on target with all my rifles including the .50. When I really get it right I can watch the trace all the way to the target.

It is most definitely your shooting position. Go onto snipers hide and search there, there's lots on how to correctly position yourself or prone shooting. I use the straight behing the rifle, legs apart method and can get back on target with all my rifles including the .50. When I really get it right I can watch the trace all the way to the target.

+1 I found that my shooting improved significantly by simply getting in a staright line with the guns recoil rather than angled off to the side. Also keeping thumb and fingers alongside the trigger rather than grabbing the pistil grip improved my trigger control....probably still plenty more that I can improve upon though!

Archived