Why would anyone buy a McMillan or a Manners?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tack, we were "forced" to make a one off hybrid for a rifle builder friend who wanted one as a present to himself. It turned out really nice.

MJR, we did make all sorts of conversions in the last years but can only make one if we have a rifle to hand. I don't know anyone with a 595 around where we live. We could make a blank stock.

edi

Perhaps supply Edi with a Delrin copy Mike…..

Would only need action holes, bolt position, trigger area and ejection port position… (I think)

Good idea, Edi could you work from a mould of the action?

Just phoned around, I could get a loan of a 595 from our East coast.

Might be an idea to make more than one converted stock for the trouble of getting the thing posted to us.

As mentioned a few times, converting a stock is quite labour intensive.

Turning it into a left inlet should also be doable.

edi

Might be an idea to make more than one converted stock for the trouble of getting the thing posted to us.

edi

Music to any lefthander's ears, particularly those with a M590/595 rifle or two :)

edi

Would love an E-tac for my R/handed 595 if ever you get round to it :)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Working up a load with the Etac stocked Rem 6.5x284 which has more reliable accuracy than the previous bullet of choice (130 and 120 Barnes TSX)

You can see from the lower right target that the 120 TSX don't perform that reliable despite this being a sub MOA rifle using the 120 / 130 barnes, (sometimes) it isn't all the time.

Ive upped the weight a little to 140g soft points and swapped to H4831sc - I have half a pound left which will do me for the stags.

Started on 47g

DSCN4086_zps986ccb40.jpg

47.5 g

DSCN4087_zpsf4e22e99.jpg

48g

DSCN4088_zpse48bb114.jpg

Which is adequate I think.

:D

I then shot the 120 TSX by comparison (after adjusting the sight after the last load development group_

Scope is a 10x42 PM11 by the way - Atlas bipod.

DSCN4085_zps16265d72.jpg

The E tac is really lovely to shoot - recoil straight back, no muzzle flip and almost perfect hand shape for the palm swell.

Working up a load with the Etac stocked Rem 6.5x284 which has more reliable accuracy than the previous bullet of choice (130 and 120 Barnes TSX)

You can see from the lower right target that the 120 TSX don't perform that reliable despite this being a sub MOA rifle using the 120 / 130 barnes, (sometimes) it isn't all the time.

Ive upped the weight a little to 140g soft points and swapped to H4831sc - I have half a pound left which will do me for the stags.

Started on 47g

DSCN4086_zps986ccb40.jpg

47.5 g

DSCN4087_zpsf4e22e99.jpg

48g

DSCN4088_zpse48bb114.jpg

Which is adequate I think.

:D

I then shot the 120 TSX by comparison (after adjusting the sight after the last load development group - scope had been off as id re-crowned the barrel.

Scope is a 10x42 PM11 by the way - Atlas bipod.

DSCN4085_zps16265d72.jpg

The E tac is really lovely to shoot - recoil straight back, no muzzle flip and almost perfect hand shape for the palm swell.

DSCN4080_zps00f83b69.jpg

DSCN4081_zps1a525599.jpg

If only load development was allways this simple ! Good shooting btw and tidy tite group . And i still find that the difference in bullets thru the same tube can be erratic in performance still baffles me sometimes :)

I'll weigh it in the morning Edi - really happy with the way it shoots now,,, :)

Edi,

I have been admiring these stocks for a while and I hope you don't mind if I ask a question. I have heard it said that you 'don't believe in bedding'. Ronin has described how he used a 'blob of Devcon', but only because the stock needed adapting to a different recoil lug.

I understand that your design uses moulded in fibres and that machining out for a full bed job would be detrimental to the strength of the stock. My question is: why did you design it not to be bedded? I note that others have said that these stocks shoot very well without any form of bedding.

Edi,

all up weight is exactly 12lbs in configuration in photograph - Atlas, PM11 10x42, Harrel brake.

Easy a carry all day rifle.

Yup, I did the barrel, came from Brux back in the days before the export restrictions.

• 2 years later...

Soggy, not sure if your question is aimed at me. We used to produce a hunting stock for a Howa SA. Howa's seem to be a bit out of fashion and sales so bad that we put the mould way to the back.

I see that I never answered shuggy with the bedding question ....over two years ago. :wacko:

It must have been a misunderstanding, I think bedding is very important but one can use different methods. Pillars for example are not always needed. No one will bore out an alu stock to fit alu pillars, same as we believe our integrated carbon fibre pillars are far superior to later fitted alu or steel pillars. I don't believe that all stocks need deep devcon bedding. Some stocks actually benefit from skim bedding. Also there are better materials available than pre mixed bedding materials such as devcon etc.

edi

• 2 weeks later...

Archived