Why would anyone buy a McMillan or a Manners?

Some initial pics of a whole load of carbon fibre genius:

(One illustration of the genius: the complete cheekpiece and elevation kit weigh 100g .....100g! Weigh the Mcmillan equivalent and you're probably looking at 5 to ten times that weight).

More pics to follow in due course :)

92024b3b-3e1f-45d9-a677-8ef6ad27831c_zpsd23e3fa1-104f-4c29-ad06-42c45824dc8e_zps20130910_183223_resized_zps2d6710ac.jpg

20130910_183252_resized_zps0808f7a2.jpg

20130910_183232_resized_zps70f92773.jpg

20130910_183328_resized_zps988e8ea4.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer your question, I have bought a McMillan made stock (Darrell Holland design) in order to get a thumbhole stock. I've owned four thumbhole stocks to date and the current one on my 260 Rem is just about spot on. I can shoot it and a leftie can shoot it too. If you look closely at my Avatar you will see my second thumbhole stock.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/gallery/Member%20Galleries/p2948-remington-700-sa-in-260-rem.html

It's been a slow project, and it's been running since '99, but the objective is to have all my rifles with thumbhole stocks.

Regards

JCS

Matt, what is the inlet?

Is it one of Edi's standard/regular one's or did you need to send the action/old stock over? I'd love one for a Nesika action.

The grip areas look awesome, how do you find them.

Really perfect. I had a Manners T4 that I loved, and ergonomically this is every bit it's equal - the hand angles are spot on; the stippling is just right -grippy but not rough. What you can't see is a small ridge down the leading edge of the pistol grip; put there to assist your finger tips with muscle memory; bloomin good idea.

Edi fitted it to a friend's rifle the same model as mine - hopefully he'll chip in to answer the nesika question.

Where it steps ahead of the Manners is, I think, in two places:

1. The hidden extra is that edi is a materials scientist; and all the carbon fibre is properly laid to optimally absorb firing stresses and provide optimal overall strength: ie Lighter. Stronger.

2. It's made this side of the pond and Edi's a super bloke.

Be interested to see if the rifle feels ballanced given the stock is so light. Great for on the hill though.

I run one on my 260 rem 700 and it's great , the balance is fine .

Where it steps ahead of the Manners is, I think, in two places:

1. The hidden extra is that edi is a materials scientist; and all the carbon fibre is properly laid to optimally absorb firing stresses and provide optimal overall strength: ie Lighter. Stronger.

2. It's made this side of the pond and Edi's a super bloke.

Thanks Matt, precisely the two main reasons I would love one.

Looks good! What is the overall weight? Lightest similar-design I've put my hands on was 1600 grams (most of this design are 2400 to 4000 gr)

Absolutely agree with "this side of the pond". American manufacturers seems to be better in using big words only.

Due to all the hassle dealing with US makers for anything , I would rather buy stuff from any where in the World BUT the US , however for some stuff they are the only ones , ie if you want a specific stock , like for a M40A1 , then you need to buy a McM , and same if you wanted to make a C3A1 clone, you need a McM A2 .

Or If you wanted molded in colour or camo .

Later Chris

This won't win me many friends, but here we go.

In my opinion, the answer to your question is 'because your stock looks hideous'. There, I've said it. I hate the stippling, the pistol grip is an ugly protrusion and the overall look of the thing leaves me cold.

She is inlet for the cz 22lr (452?) . The faces I got in our workshop when I said we'll make an E-Tac for a 22... :lol:

We had a stock in the corner which was actually planned to be a prototype for a T3 inlet, meaning the stock was made

a bit heavier than normal maybe 1200gr vs 1000-1100 grams. The lightest E-Tac so far is sitting on my Palma barrelled Remmy that I use for hunting. Stock weighs 828grams complete with recoil pad, flush cups and adjustable cheek. Since Matt will have a sporter barrel on the CZ she should be fine weight wise. Out of the mould the E-Tac has the inlet for a SA remmy BDL meaning we had to convert the stock. Guy across the road has a cz 22 that I borrowed to make the stock. The bottom metal I had lying around is from John Van De Pol in Australia. His dad has a CNC workshop and he has a shooting problem. Think he calls his company Sterk and makes all sorts of bits like T3 recoil lugs in stainless and this bottom metal.

The CZ I borrowed was of course right hand action, so we had to guess a bit turning it into a lefty. Hope that part fits....

The question with nesika action. I have not had one yet, however if it is a remmy clone one could quite easily make it fit. Often just the bolt release cut out , port opening and recoil lug position size that is different. We have fitted GBR, Barnard, John Carr's actions and Stillers in the past.

Generally any work on an existing stock like re-inletting for a different action and fitting a mag system just soaks up days...not hours and it is difficult to charge what it actually cost.

By the way, the stippling is done after moulding and can be left away, or made less aggressive.

T3 in E-Tac, at the moment a conversion but we are talking of making a mould for it. (customers picture)

T3Etac_zps37e2dd0f.jpg

edi

one thing my mate found was that the bolts that came with the stock were metric thread where the action was imperial. Hardly a big deal but worth knowing about in advance

one thing my mate found was that the bolts that came with the stock were metric thread where the action was imperial. Hardly a big deal but worth knowing about in advance

Could have happened, sorry about that. Normally we don't send bolts with the stocks except if I know the customer might be stuck. Especially German customers have great difficulty getting imperial screws.

A set of screws weighs about 25 grams, can go out in a letter so no big thing as we have a letter box around the corner.

edi

Willo, we could do any duracoat colour if we can get it. With a little planning ahead we can organise a special colour or blend.

Matts stock is a blend we do called "Irish Mix" as a customer christened it. Or a blend "PSE dark green" which is OD green and black.

BAT01_zpsc008a16f.jpg

abolter, we are working on a thumbhole stock however for a production rifle.

We have not made any new moulds for a while as we are working on new methods of moulding and mould making. Once we have positive results

with the new methods we've planned to make a mould for a T3 E-Tac as that has the highest demand at the moment.

Sorry BD for side tracking your thread.

edi

The stock looks perfect, my only criticism and its my taste is the thumbwheel lock, id prefer it to be socket head screws

Otherwise its damn near exactly what id have for every of my own guns.

I was thinking of a change from the Manners MC GAT I have on one of my stalking guns to something lighter,,, I may well ask you to do me one like this inletted for a LA 700 ..

Now perhaps we should discuss ordering a LH T3 inletted stock too for Matt when hes had enough of the DTA in a few months and reverts back to a T3 6.5x47,,,,,

Archived