best scope with Archer,

ergid

• 4 months later...

You got a lot of replys to this I see. Lol. Interesting. I have used leupolds and AGS, the old type. And they both worked well. I used a MTC viper and it was rubbish but I hear the mambas are much better.

But I have now been trying to decide do I fork out and buy a longbow or do I buy a high end scope like the Z6i 2.5-16x56 2nd Generation. It seems like some people are getting good results from the swaro.

Shooting show next week, will just have to have a good look around

You got a lot of replys to this I see. Lol. Interesting. I have used leupolds and AGS, the old type. And they both worked well. I used a MTC viper and it was rubbish but I hear the mambas are much better.

But I have now been trying to decide do I fork out and buy a longbow or do I buy a high end scope like the Z6i 2.5-16x56 2nd Generation. It seems like some people are getting good results from the swaro.

Shooting show next week, will just have to have a good look around

Hi thanks for the reply ,

I bought a Hawke sidewinder 6-24 x56 which is much better than the MTC ,I don't want to fork out another £1700 for a Swaro.

I placed my Archer on my Mates Zeiss victory ,my Hawke for £300 gave much better light transmission :o it could be down to the extra coatings on the Zeiss ,fair play He agreed there was a marked difference .well Im happy with my Hawke for now.

There are some very friendly people on this forum that might show you their setup before you buy. ;)

I use a Z6 2.5 - 15 x 56 with my Archer and it's fantastic, I don't think it will fit the Z6i because of the illumination housing?

I used to use a Bushnell 6500 elite which was also good.

Andy

but in the quest for non pvs perfection was the swaro markedly better than the bushnell and what would it parallax down to. my leupold went all starcrazed below about 60 yards. what puts me off about the longbow is the front parallax and it only goes to 10 mag. I already have an archer but am not keen on budget scopes. I wantkto be able to whip up the magnification when needed to identify if necessary.

but in the quest for non pvs perfection was the swaro markedly better than the bushnell and what would it parallax down to. my leupold went all starcrazed below about 60 yards. what puts me off about the longbow is the front parallax and it only goes to 10 mag. I already have an archer but am not keen on budget scopes. I wantkto be able to whip up the magnification when needed to identify if necessary.

Yes, the Swaro is much better than the Bushnell and I'd go as far to say that I doubt a pvs would be "that" much better!

Strangely I used a NM800 ir with the Bushnell and it worked fine but when I tried the NM with the swaro it wouldn't focus at all, but using the N1000ap it's as clear as day!! It will focus down to around 30 yards or so.

I was tempted with a longbow but one of the things that but me off is the cheap Hakko scope it's based on.

hi looking for the best scope with an Archer ,at the mo Im using an MTC genesiss ,its ok but looking for better clarity and field of view and a ret with a center dot.MINOX Z5I ?

Zeiss

Night Force

Smitts

Old Sworos

are just OK ish

Best mid price Scope Bushnell 6500 Elite 2.5-15-50 Mil Dot followed by Leupold VX111 4.5-14...

Top scope for Archer by far is the new GEN 2 Sworo 2.5-15/56 close second 3-18/50...............................

I run a A grade Archer on the Sworo 2.5-15/56,, and its better than my Longbow. !!!!

How about a Z5 swarovski BT 3.5-18.

These are light weight, BT, and are some of the brightest in terms of image. You can find them for 900-1k (when and if they come up for sale -they are kept for a reason! )

These are light weight, BT, and are some of the brightest in terms of image. You can find them for 900-1k (when and if they come up for sale -they are kept for a reason! )

Are you saying they are bright during the day or bright with using nightvision?

It sounds to me like the z6 is the way to go.

I have tried plenty of cheap scopes but they often suffer from whiteout at high mag. One thing seems to be that what is good with one scope may not be good with another. I will have to see if there is anyone near me with a Z6 that I can put my Archer up to and have a look.

I have said this before on the forum, lots of people will post that they are using an Archer with a Hawke / or a Zeiss etc etc and its really good. ! what they are really saying is they have never seen a proper set up. !

yup. I agree. I have used a number of brands. the hawke was not terribly good. leupolds were good but I do not have the money to try expensive scopes.

and I find it is a combination of NV, Scope and illuminator.

so if the Z6 is as good as the longbow. in my case probably not quite as good as I am using a c grade which will spot out to 300 yards on the back of the scope subject to battery, atmospheric coditions and zoom. what I want to do is be able to see clearer.

ah the quest for perfection is but a scope away. lol.

I reckon the Z6 / Archer will be about as clear as your going to get unless you go to a dedicated. Not sure of your location Gloop but if your in the Cheshire area your more than welcome to have a look at my set?

Andy

Andy,

A nice offer. I will see if I can find anyone local with one and give it a try with my archer. It is a lot of money to spend out to get wrong, but at least it is less that I would spend on the longbow and I get a good scope for use during the day..

yup. I agree. I have used a number of brands. the hawke was not terribly good. leupolds were good but I do not have the money to try expensive scopes.

and I find it is a combination of NV, Scope and illuminator.

so if the Z6 is as good as the longbow. in my case probably not quite as good as I am using a c grade which will spot out to 300 yards on the back of the scope subject to battery, atmospheric coditions and zoom. what I want to do is be able to see clearer.

ah the quest for perfection is but a scope away. lol.

Agree, dedicated is the way to go for a good FOV and nice clear picture, I have a good one of these but I still like my Archer.

I have never used a dedicated but a number of people I have spoken to have said beyond 100 yards they can be difficult probably due to parallax. I have a cheap atn 4x that I must stick on something some time to see how I get on.

But this is where the problem lies. Money....yet again....I get that if you save and save and save you can have the best of the best, but for some that's a real struggle. I work my arse off for me and my family, and yet I struggle to save due to the implications of never ending reasons, but I always do my best to get what I can that does the job, if for example my, at the time, £280 Hawke Sidewinder TAC 30 has shot me all sorts of vermin and varmints then it works! I really have nothing to complain about expensive stuff some people may say its a jealousy thing....I say yup sure is, but I also say fair play.....but at the same time I can't afford 2grand binos 3grand scopes....without some seriously hard savings. We know the expensive stuff Is amazing but we also know that you can be pleasantly surprised by more 'budget' gear.

Please don't take it as a gripe gents toward those that's do have very top quality gear, but if someone is doing their best to get the best they can afford, and it works for them that's all that counts.

I cannot disagree with a lot of you say. I have spent enough time scrimping and saving to buy stuff that is fit for purpose. The biggest problem is there was no one to advise me on what to buy when I started so I made plenty of mistakes. I didn't know you needed a parallax adjustable scope. Or that the ir on the unit would let you see 2 feet.

I am lucky enough now that I can afford to spend more money, but I still have to justify the cost. Let's face it we all have to justify things. But for the money there is better than the HAWKE. I know that is the case because i have tried then and I use old AGS scopes bought secondhand. Paid about £100 for them. And for the money they are excellent. You talk to the people who use nightvision all the time and who have gone through the pain.

Just look at the leap forward over the last 2 years with DIY illuminators and DIY digital systems. You can save money by getting to talk to people in the know, buying secondhand from people you trust. That is how I have operated for years. I started with Gen 1 and made my way up. I had great success with my first unit and thought it was great.

On my HMR I have a 3-12x44 AGS. Think that cost me £80. So to go from that to think about spending out on a swaro does make me sweat and does need a lot of thinking about. I can think about it but then I am lucky or unlucky depending on your opinion in not having kids. And there will be more kit out there that I will not be able to afford.

The important thing is that you get out, enjoy yourself, and as long as you are having success then no one will knock it.

I have moved away from nv for a while I was disappointed with what I could afford and I seemed to be fiddling all the time trying to get the perfect picture and not achieving it so went bat to using lamps which in the last 6yrs or so have com on leaps and bounds in terms of weight and efficiency I spent my money instead on upgrading my scopes to swaro zeiss and even a Nf on the Hmr looking around the shooting show there are some very good bits of kit out there but trying to justify 4k to shoot the odd lamp shy fox or rabbit is still to much the digital stuff is getting there but there always seems to be a down side it's fiddle to setup the there's not enough eye relief or it

Has to be dedicated or you have to spend a hour re calibrating it to fit another Rifle so until they sort thease things I am afraid it's not for me.

Zeiss

Night Force

Smitts

Old Sworos

are just OK ish

Best mid price Scope Bushnell 6500 Elite 2.5-15-50 Mil Dot followed by Leupold VX111 4.5-14...

Top scope for Archer by far is the new GEN 2 Sworo 2.5-15/56 close second 3-18/50...............................

I run a A grade Archer on the Sworo 2.5-15/56,, and its better than my Longbow. !!!!

Hi 223 I'm looking at the Z6i 2.5x15 56 do you have the illuminated reticle if not do you happen to know if the archer will still fit if I get an illuminated reticle version

cheers

Hi 223 I'm looking at the Z6i 2.5x15 56 do you have the illuminated reticle if not do you happen to know if the archer will still fit if I get an illuminated reticle version

cheers

Hi Boo,

I have the Z6 2.5-15-56 with no illumination, The Archer will not fit on the illuminated version. You do need to have a good fit and slide the Archer on as far as it will go. I have a Zeiss with a tapered eye peace and I have had made a special adapter for this scope, however the Sworo is far to big to get a fitting.

Regards

Hi Boo,

I have the Z6 2.5-15-56 with no illumination, The Archer will not fit on the illuminated version. You do need to have a good fit and slide the Archer on as far as it will go. I have a Zeiss with a tapered eye peace and I have had made a special adapter for this scope, however the Sworo is far to big to get a fitting.

Regards

Thanks 223magic which reticle did you go for on the swaro?

Boo

I have found someone selling an illuminated one at a reasonable price. I am going to look at it next week if he hasn't sold it. It can be fitted to a scope but you do need so e engineering skills. I have made a different bayonet fitting that is clamped to the scope but to be honest I have a completely different idea in mind for the mounting system when I change rifle. But that will involve some clearer engineering from someone cleverer than me.

Archived