longbow/digital

cmsds

hi does anyone no how the new digital night vision scopes compare to a Longbow, are Longbow worth the money

I will be shooting foxes at no more than 150 yds so do I need to spend £4k on a night vision scope, I have also considered the new Yukon photon which retails at only £400

anyone tried one of these

many thanks

No need to lay out for a Longbow, an N750 with doubler and NM800 illuminator for about £1500 will do all you need and more, I have shot foxes beyond 300 yards with this setup.

I have not tried a Photon but they seem to get decent reviews for a £400 bit of kit.

hi does anyone no how the new digital night vision scopes compare to a Longbow, are Longbow worth the money

I will be shooting foxes at no more than 150 yds so do I need to spend £4k on a night vision scope, I have also considered the new Yukon photon which retails at only £400

many thanks

Not being funny cmsds but if you have £4000 to spend on NV you need to get out there and look through some units, where are you ? as i'm sure someone will have something to show you, there was a very nice D760 manual gain brand new 2012 Pinnacle Tube fitted recently nice clear picture.£2600 on sale on the bbs. now this is a very good unit, I would PM camo304 on here as he gets hold of some top end NV also you could be on your way to a bit of thermal as a spotter with money left over.

Take it from someone that knows, if you are going to buy a NV unit buy the best you can afford otherwise it gets expensive ;)

Remember if your nv capability is 150yds and you shoot stuff at 150yd, how do you know whats behind it and wheres the backstop.Listen to GP1 hes a very wise man regarding nv.

Hi buddy I have the longbow fitted with a pvs tube and find it perfect for what I want and up to 500 to 600 yards I would be happy,the reason I went longbow was I wanted to keep my rifle day or night and this does that ,also I wanted to keep weight down and it also does that and lastly I wanted nv for my big rifle and my rimmy and it does that as I purchased another scope body from starlight so the nv part is changed in seconds.In conclusion it was the perfect answer for me and coupled with my pvs spotter someone will have to fetch some clever gear out for me to give up this combo.O forgot to say I saw off over 6 grand for the pair but hey to me it was more than worth it.If you are near Doncaster I can show you both items which may help you make your mind up.

• 3 weeks later...

many thanks

I have yet to see anything digital that is on a par with the top end tubed stuff

Perhaps with all the investment that there now is on digi that will change shortly

I have yet to see anything digital that is on a par with the top end tubed stuff

Perhaps with all the investment that there now is on digi that will change shortly

Have to agree (I have yet to see anything digital that is on a par with the top end tubed stuff) but top end kit comes at a cost and do you really need top end kit??? some digi with the right ir will get you shooting foxes at 200 yards and beyond no problems at all.

Have to agree (I have yet to see anything digital that is on a par with the top end tubed stuff) but top end kit comes at a cost and do you really need top end kit??? some digi with the right ir will get you shooting foxes at 200 yards and beyond no problems at all.

The new Drone sounds interesting but there seems to be very little information coming out about it :unsure:

The new Drone sounds interesting but there seems to be very little information coming out about it :unsure:

The information has been out there for quite a while:

https://www.armasight.com/night-vision/night-vision-weapon-sights/armasight-drone-pro-5x-10x/

But what we really need is a few independent reviews, I believe a few units have already been sold in the States

Meant information from actual users ;)

I'm afraid that there aren't any users in the UK, yet. Hence the lack of reviews. No reviews from overseas yet either.

Guessing it could be a few weeks before they cross the pond.

George

many thanks

With 4K then thermal would be the way to go, digi stuff will get you shooting foxes at your ranges no problem, but as the nights get darker the digi stuff will not be as good as the high end gen 3 stuff. I run a decent Longbow and happy with it for now, but if I was just dipping my toe in the water for the first time I would get a good spotter first ie thermal. The price of these thing are starting to drop.

many thanks

Ive got a photon in it's standard format and you would struggle shooting at 150yds with it, I use mine on a rimmy for rabbits great kit for the money especially with Markies T20 IR torch.

Some people are fitting doublers to their photons which would get you into fox territory around150yds.

I had a photon for about two days then got rid. It would be ok to 100 meters max, After that you wouldnt be able to tell if you were shooting at a fox or the farmers cat. Buy quality once then cry once. The Drone pro will be out in a week or so. Its ready to go but they are changing the mounts for it i believe. I would wait and see what this is like.

The Photon is a great piece of kit for the money but I'm not convinced that its durable enough for anything above very small calibre recoil.Image quality with the doubler and good IR is excellent but I had major problems with zero on a 22-250.Certainly the one I had wouldn't cope with larger calibre's which is the claim but to be fair I've not heard anyone else have problems yet so perhaps it was the individual unit at fault

As regards the Drone I'd have thought that by now there'd be reviews from the States popping up even if it was only from demo models that Armasight had supplied.The only real footage I can find is from nightvisiongear which was posted months ago and any other footage/reviews seems to fall into the category of wait and see

Archived