Accuracy International AW or AE that is the Question?

Brillo

No, I’m not about to parody Shakespeare…………… :P

Having followed Andy T’s post about wanting an AI AW I have found myself in a position of being able to acquire a .308 AW. Not in terms of winning the lottery and having the spare cash, but that one has become available.

Now here’s the question for those of you on this forum that have been fortunate enough to own an AW and an AE. What is the true practical difference between the two beasts?

I know the main physical differences such as the action (although the AE Mk III now uses a round version of the AW flat base action) and the bonded action to chassis of the AW, and that an AW will use either a Border cut-rifled barrel or a Walther button-rifled barrel, whereas the AE could use a Border Archer barrel. I know the AW is more rugged, but what does it mean in the real world?

Forget the 24” barrel on the AE v 26” barrel of the AW because a prospective buyer can specify a 26” tube on an AE.

What would I get more or better of if choosing an AW as opposed to an AE? For instance, is there an accuracy difference?

In an ideal world I’d give my eye teeth for an AW in 6.5 x 47L but that is like looking for gold plated rocking horse droppings so that’s another story…………….

In reality - practical use, there is no difference bettween the two "systems"

The AE has always had a round action and uses a recoil lug (washer type) whereas the AW uses an integral lug and as youve coirrectly put, the action is bonded to the stock.

The AW and AE have slight differences in safety actuation.

In essence they are very similar beasts.

Both shoot very well, I dont think either is better than the other.

Barrels are interchangeable.

I have owned AW before, now I own AX.

I altered an AE last week for a guy on the forum from 308 to 6.5x47, it took five minutes.

The AE is just as capable, just as accurate and just as versatile as the AW, unless you are going to drop it onto a hard surface from ten feet, you wont notice any difference.

If you can get along with the square AICS stock, then the choice is yours.

If, like me you dont care for the AICS, then the only choice is AX or the PSR (but that is a whole different ball game)

The only practical sporting difference is that the AE condemns you to AICS mags (ie 10 rounders the size of SLR mags); whereas the AW, obviously, uses the properly proportioned AW mag.

The other difference that with an AW you won't find yourself looking at other AWs and wishing you'd got one. That'll happen with an AE if you truly hanker after an AW. It's not about logic! :)

Given the choice between a 2nd hand AW and a new AE at the same money........AW every time.

Would you shag the ugly fat bird , when her fit mate is also gagging for it ....? :lol:

Well if there's no limit to what we can have.....why not have them both!

The AW , and for those who are unsure , get the AW , its the real deal , had 4 bolts holding it into the alloy stock , no seperate recoil lug , easier barrel swaps , BUT the Biggie is the excellent , mag its TOTALLY different to the Rem700 AICS mag that the current AE MKIII uses .

Better in a very good way , mainly its the double stack/feed , its a easier to load , and more importantly a more reliable system design , as well as being shorter in vertical lenght , its also longer in bullet OAL for handloading etc .

Opps , and smoother .

SO , get the AW , you will not regret IT , and IF you do , I will buy it from you .

Hows that .

Cheers Chris

I have an AX in the shop at the minute, which has come in after suffering a very poor paint job. Its such a mess that the customer has decided to have it all stripped down, painted properly and then reassembled by AI.

We spent a very interesting hour taking the Rail off the action, and then the action removed from the stock.

The rail was warmed up for 20 minutes to remove it.I honestly didn't think it was going to come off.

The action was also firmly bonded and spaced off the chassis by four tiny brass shims. A lovely set up and once seen, it makes you realise just why they have the rugged dependability they are renowned for.

I will take some pics later....its very interesting.

Dave,

Putting it back together is straightforward. I've got a slack handful of the AI brass washers/spacers somewhere as well as the workshop manual on how to do it if that's of interest..... I did my first AI after a full strip under the watchful eye of an armourer. Easier than the normal bedding jobs you do.

I,d be very interested in the workshop manual thanks Matt. :)

The gun is going back to AI for some other mods however, so they will re bed it. I'd like to know what compound they use to bed them with because its strange stuff.

All good fun.

Looks very similar to the flexothane stuff that Barnard uses - though different colour.

DTA , nope , I have handled one , and my thoughts are its not quite in the same league as the AI offerings , I do like the quick barrel swaps and short OAL , but in the SRS , ie 308,300WM , 338LM version , and it makes more sense in the longer cals , ie 300,338 than it does in 308 class , also 1/2 the rds , ie 5 to the AWs NICE 10rds .

In a DTA rifle , I find the HTI model of much more interest than the SRS model , to me any way .

Cheers Chris

Ive gone for a fully optioned AW!

in 6.5x47 lap. :):):)

if i'd gone for the AE i have a feeling id have found myself thinking ,broccoli wished id gone for the best instead of second best, however good the AE is ITS STILL AN AE :wacko:

And like AndyT, who found the same as me, finding a really good AW secondhand at sensible money is almost impossible, hence he went new, and ive ordered a new one!

It always brings a smile to my face when i outshoot an AW with my AE, and when they beat me its simply because they have a better rifle! Looking forward to beating an AX..

Gary, you'll will have to wrest if from my bloodied hands before you beat me with it :P

After a huge round count in 7,62x51 I re-barrelled my AI/AE in 6,5x47 Lapua with a 26" Border and headed off to the tunnel range for some load development end of last week, 15 minutes later I had finished initial load development with the zero reset to suit the new cartridge and some good MV's recorded. Saturday I shot it at Barton Road with pointed 123 Scenars at 800/1000/1200 yards. As a range BR can be quite forgiving once you have got your head around the wind flag and the rifle shot very well with the last 5 shots at 1200 returned 4 Vs with the final shot dropping low right scraping the 5 ring. All shot with the suppressor which is a prototype hence the lack of paint.

9903492123_fdb3634268.jpg

The good news is a forum member contacted me with another AI/AE barrel in great condition chambered in 7,62x51 and numbered within 500 of my original barrel so I can go back to the original chambering whenever I choose. I am very pleased.

Archived