ATEC Maxim 4 - Disappointed, worth getting extra baffles?

I bought a 20" Tikka .308 recently and was after a new lighter weight moderator as well so after speaking to Jackson Rifles about the Maxim I was told performance was on par with the T8.

I've now fired a number of rounds in the last week and I'm not overly impressed with it. My previous .308 was a 26" PSS with one of the older, heavier T8 moderators. It was waaaaaay quieter!

I presume barrel length would be a factor??? Extra blast for the mod to deal with. If so would it make a significant difference?

The other change I've made with this rifle is moving from Varget to N140. What that account for any extra noise?

Does anyone else have a Maxim? If so what do they think of them?

I know I can buy extra baffles. Has anyone gone this route? Would one or two baffles really make a big difference?

Yesterday I was doing a bit load development/zeroing and normally I wear ear defenders even with a mod when zeroing but for one 5 shot group I left them off and it actually felt very uncomfortable and had mild ringing after!

My brother who lives nearby also commented on how loud my new rifle was!

I'm by no means complaining that I was given bad advice from Jacksons by the way, I've always found them very helpful!

Mainly other people's view on the difference a shorter barrel makes and would it be well worthwhile buying an extra one or two baffles?

Thank you!

I have the 4cmm A-tec and it's not the quietest and I am maybe thinking of adding an extra baffle or 2 also. I use it mainly this mod on my ftr 308 to so some practice at home so I do fire a fair few shots and ears ringing after a little while.

I own a jetZ on 22-250 and that was a lot quieter.

Also while we are here, does anybody knows if you can use .30 mod on a 6mm calibre?

hi. got an a- tec cmm6 for my 6.5x47 and this is quite acceptable suppression wise.An extra baffle may be the way to go.Have you sounded out Jacksons?Hope this helps regards Richard..

Thats good to know Richard, think I'll have to get another couple and make myself a Maxim6. I bought it to save weight and make the rifle less muzzle-heavy but its not worth it for me if the suppression isn't up to it. Another couple of baffles and it'll still be a good bit lighter than the T8 I suppose but also increases cost by another £70 and length!

I tried to get Jacksons yesterday several times but I presume they're closed Saturdays. I'll try them tomorrow to see what they say about the difference between one extra and two extra baffles.

• 5 weeks later...

You want 6 baffles on a 20" .308 with a maxim.

You have also gone to a slightly slower powder with 140, which is going to give you burn inside, and possibly outside the mod.

The maxim is an excellent mod when applied correctly. First and foremost, i sell it as one of the lightest mods on the market....ideal on a stalker. Its not the quietest mod. If you have to have that, then you want a Jet-z. They are not the lightest mod on the market.

Get my point ? The perfect moderator does not exist.

I bought a 20" Tikka .308 recently and was after a new lighter weight moderator as well so after speaking to Jackson Rifles about the Maxim I was told performance was on par with the T8.

I've now fired a number of rounds in the last week and I'm not overly impressed with it. My previous .308 was a 26" PSS with one of the older, heavier T8 moderators. It was waaaaaay quieter!

I presume barrel length would be a factor??? Extra blast for the mod to deal with. If so would it make a significant difference?

The other change I've made with this rifle is moving from Varget to N140. What that account for any extra noise?

Does anyone else have a Maxim? If so what do they think of them?

I know I can buy extra baffles. Has anyone gone this route? Would one or two baffles really make a big difference?

Yesterday I was doing a bit load development/zeroing and normally I wear ear defenders even with a mod when zeroing but for one 5 shot group I left them off and it actually felt very uncomfortable and had mild ringing after!

My brother who lives nearby also commented on how loud my new rifle was!

I'm by no means complaining that I was given bad advice from Jacksons by the way, I've always found them very helpful!

Mainly other people's view on the difference a shorter barrel makes and would it be well worthwhile buying an extra one or two baffles?

Thank you!

hi I found the Atec Maximum a bit noisy so I have added 2 baffels and am now very pleased with it ,is it worth £25 per baffel simple answer is YES,

its the same length as a T8 but half the weight .I got mine from Swillington and they gave me good service .

As Baldie says its probably down to the 20" tube and using N140 and having burn outside the barrel.

I also finally received my two extra baffles last week and to be perfectly honest, to my ear at least I didnt notice it any quieter. It probably is though and may well be noticeable at a distance.

I just got so used to the 26" barrel.

According to QL going from 26" to 20" will have increased the muzzle pressure about 35%

This most likely proves what im hearing!

I'm happy now!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I had a barrel cut from26 inches to 20 inches whilst out in Germany. I shot pig from an enclosed high seat. Mods were strictly illegal for civvies. The first time I shot the things my ears rang for over a day. That was just one shot with no ear protection, .308win. The 26 inch barrel was not an issue noise wise. Sadly the end hadvto go due to neglect (corrosion in the last 2 inches).

Archived