9KG fully loaded for alpine trekking/camping

brown dog

The specification write up doesn't light my fire;

Note: Due to the super light nature of the material used in the tents construction we are unable to factory seal the seams in a conventional method. However they are positioned and sewn in a way that minimises water penetration and it’s possible to add further protection yourself with seam sealer to fully waterproof the tent.

Old proverb, travel light, cold at night....... seems true to me.

Not heard that one. Good summary, that's the balance I'm trying to avoid (reminds me of the politicians' calls for a new light and projectable Army - get there fast and light......and lose.)

I notice that a couple of you have dismissed snugpak jackets, which has confused me. I see the issue green and tan lightweight compressible duvet jacket with huge warmth. Are you chaps visualising their fibrepile buffalo copy?

The specification write up doesn't light my fire;

Note: Due to the super light nature of the material used in the tents construction we are unable to factory seal the seams in a conventional method. However they are positioned and sewn in a way that minimises water penetration and it’s possible to add further protection yourself with seam sealer to fully waterproof the tent.

You will find a large amount of lightweight gear such as tents, tarps et al require you to seam seal yourself it takes all of five minutes with the required silicone and you have the piece of mind it's done properly. You could drop a few k on a lightweight kifaru teepee and still have to seal seal it yourself

Fair comment Jungle. My single skin Goretex tent had to be reseam taped due to the glue drying out. Think company was LSR who did it, decent job.

BD regarding snugpak, I have a few items and swear by the smock with pile lining, excellent item but not very compact. However you can replace a few items with it so your inventory in the field can be less. The other jackets (non pile lining) are good and warm but again bulky.

Fell out with their stratosphere hooped bivi. One end has a poorly covered ventilation panel that you cant baton down if need be. Once stalking in scotland on its maiden voyage and the wind was blowing water uphill and through the mesh. Had a nice ensuite paddling pool :wacko:

As we were discussing at the roundhouse have a Harkila Cougar Jacket. It's only single skin, but it's light and has yet to let me down in any weather or whilst laying on the grass etc. They're not cheap for what they are but they work.

This is my second one. First one lasted 10 years before the zip failed. It still kind of works but it's a right PITA is you unzip it completely to get the zips back together and because the zip is integral it can't easily be repaired. But iat has been used for everything in the time I've had it. Running, cycling (I cycle to work every day so it gets used almost daily), shooting, beating, stalking, it's my general summer rain jacket and my winter jacket with some base layers. I wore it when skiing in Canada down to -27. Admittedly that's more to do with the base layers than the jacket but still, I wouldn't have anything else now. Tried a few other jackets and they either leak or wear out too quickly.

Funny you mentioned the attention to detail standing out.

When I first got my Vaude Hogan tent that was my initial impression, good quality, well thought out with no gimmicks. Problem was I came to realise and so sold it, that as a two man tent it didn't have a two man porch. Two sets of boots meant the porch was full so where did you put the rucksacks <_<

Looks a good choice BD I just wonder if it will be lightweight over longevity?

Slightly off topic, has anyone used a Kelly Kettle for longer hiking / backpacking trips?

I've used an MSR up to now but have become rather taken with the 'kettle' for short days out etc.

The ability to cook a meal using sole foraged leaves was quite a revaluation

Slightly off topic, has anyone used a Kelly Kettle for longer hiking / backpacking trips?

I've used an MSR up to now but have become rather taken with the 'kettle' for short days out etc.

The ability to cook a meal using sole foraged leaves was quite a revaluation

Yep I have, great for boiling water and very fast but rubbish to cook on top of although it is pos. Lots of copy's now being made but I stick with Kelly as there very nice to deal with. If ordering from there web site google discount codes for them, there's always 10% off. Once you have one its free hot water and no more carrying gas or petrol with you.

Kelly kettles;

Had one years ago for extensive use based around a landrover. One with dry pine cones will easily beat (read regular races) a caravan gas burner and it is double the volume...... things you do to occupy the mind............... :P

Another good fuel is newspaper sausages.

Bad points;

Rivet chain bracket and crimped neck. After a lot of use these leak ................ now that literally does pi55 on your bonfire lol

A quick bit of tig welding to fill the rivet holes and attach the neck properly, sorted.

Good piece of kit but not really for walking about is it, i.e. lightweight and compact.

Also kind off off topic but in keeping with the kettle theme, have you seen these:

http://jompy.co.uk/

Such a simple but brilliant idea.

Blimey, watched that and had a look around the website; I'm not still not sure what that's intended to achieve....looks like a solution to a problem that I can't even identify. Rich what's it for? Water at 68degC trickling slowly into a bowl; but you can drive a car over it, was all I took away :lol::)

There's an 'SAS' kelly kettle if you do a bit of google-fu. Looks like a de-cluttered kelly - never used any of them.

Also kind off off topic but in keeping with the kettle theme, have you seen these:

http://jompy.co.uk/

Such a simple but brilliant idea.

So Rich the only thing regulating the water temperature is purely transition time.......... prefer my drinks after boiling especially if from a dubious source.

Jompy looks interesting but have to agree with BD - seams like a solution to a non problem

Ref the Kettle - thanks for the advice regarding cooking etc. I'm nervous of using it for anything other than day trips and weekends

I'm hopefully off to canoe in Sweden next year and was reviewing my MSR with a view to fuel options.

It's a brilliant stove - especially at altitude - but I'm weary of fuel bottles leaking and generally stinking my bergan out.

Being that we're taking Canadian canoes I now have the option to carry more hear - abs a scout kettle seemed to be a good cooking option

I reckon I'll take both if in honest - and use the MSR for 'proper' cooking over rehydration and brew-ups

Thanks for the posts :)

If you're looking for lightweight tents, consider this one:

http://www.helsport.no/no/produkter/TELT/_Pro/Fjellheimen_Superlight_3_Camp

1,65 kg two persons with a cooking/ luggage room so you can have some actual comfort/ dry clothes etc.

Or this one if you just want lightweight at 0,89 kg

http://www.helsport.no/no/produkter/TELT/_Pro/Ringstind_Superlight_12

Archived