WILD BOAR

Guest martin

It is officially the responsibility of the landowners as of yesterday to control their own wild boar population.The police are issuing restrictions on calibres to be used,but,they haven't said of yet(I don't think so anyway).You very lucky people that have permissions with a head of feral pigs must be like a cat with two tails...........I know I would be..........martin. ;)

p.s. they said that there was a head of approximately 100 in the Forest of Dean,does anybody disagree with that,and,is it likely to be more or less?

It is officially the responsibility of the landowners as of yesterday to control their own wild boar population.The police are issuing restrictions on calibres to be used,but,they haven't said of yet(I don't think so anyway).You very lucky people that have permissions with a head of feral pigs must be like a cat with two tails...........I know I would be..........martin. ;)

p.s. they said that there was a head of approximately 100 in the Forest of Dean,does anybody disagree with that,and,is it likely to be more or less?

On one of the stalking forums a chap who shoots the forest of dean has seen more than 30 at one site all at the same time, he thinks there are many more than 100 in the forest, possibly several 100.

A good few on the Sussex Kent border too and possibly some up near Exmoor.

I know of one that was shot less than 10miles from Exeter but that could have been a recent escapee from a boar farm near Exmoor.

Jerry

I have shot lots of wild boar that have been rounded up on a friends farm and shot for cull

we found the best cal to use, when they are given grain to feed on and ignoring us, is 22lr pistol

we have tried other centre fire cals but that doesnt do as good a job and the bang scares the that which promotes growth and vigour outof the other pigs that then go ape sh..(monkey poos)

we do a cull once a year and have really taken to the 22lr its perfect

varminter should be joining me this year (as its not in the uk) and I will let him shoot all the black pigs and what him enjoy

the pigs have been farmed on grain mix feed but just watch those buggers turn carnival when they see one of their own down dead on the floor

if you dont drag the dead ones out of the pen quick the fu....s start eating them

granted if they are running around wild then you wouldnt wanna take a chance and so use a big cal rifle but when there are many that have been penned in and they have been distracted with grain feed then the 22lr is best

A coulpe of my mates have permisson to shoot wild boar around the forest of Dean and there are more than a hundred there. I have seen over a dozen in one group and there are people who have them on ground,more than ten miles apart.They are hard to shoot and it take a lot of time to find out where they are feeding as they move about alot.

One was shot in a school grounds as it become aggresive when it was feeding.These boys have shot about ten between them so far this season.They are very good to eat aswell ;);) .

Dogfox

Here are eleven and the night after this pic was taken we went up with the guns and seen atleast thirty, and thats the truth

SUNP0067-1.jpg

and this chap is full of what it takes to make little piggies ;)

SUNP0046-1.jpg

Being a member of a deer stalking forum, I would say we have a very large population of wild boar in this country. I have seen a picture of road in the new forest with approximately 50 to 100 boar in view. DEFRA has always played down the numbers, but the outside guess is that the population of wild boar stands at up to 10000 in the UK at this time. Please be aware that DEFRA trapped and innoculated some female wild boar with the pill to try to stop them breeding. These particular creatures were marked with a tag in thier ear. You can eat them but you may introduce unwanted drugs into the food chain. Their have also been a gold medal boar and several silver medal boars shot in this country already. The GOld medal winner was about 400 pounds and had 4 inch tusks. The likely calibre recomendation is anything including and above 270 winchester. If you have a 6.5x55 or similar their is a 156 grain bullet specifically designed for boar so you will have something to use. What ever you use make sure you hit them hard, and in the right place, they have a lot of protection around their vital organs. The best way to shoot boar is at night with a lamp, I am told its like no other hunting experience, shots from 10 yards to 200 yards of the sticks. Oh and they if you piss them off. Their was a chap selling hunting in the New FOrest area on ebay, I think he was removed, I will try and find out the name if anyone is interested? I will finish with a quote from one of my collegues on that forum; I would just like to say thank you to all the anti's out their for giving us the oppurtunity of extremely fun and tasty sport you have my deepest thanks.

About 20 years ago the entire population of wild boar escaped from a farm on the edge of the Salcy forest in South Northamptonshire, there have only been a few sightings since,

There is also believed to be a small pocket of porkers in the Rockingham Forest area of Northamptonshire. None on our ground though :D

Ian.

Archived