2013 F-Class World Championship

dannyt

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Confirmed

FTR GB third place - a fantastic achievement

Open GB Fourth place , fourteen points short of a medal...

Were all gutted (F open) , but hand on heart everyone has given 100% effort for the last ten days to achieve this result.

Four years now to prepare for Ontario Canada

Sure that other members who are here will contribute to the results.

Ive taken loads of pictures and once back will post them.

Time now for some RnR and go shoot at 1300 full size buffalo gong tomorrow with the ammo thats left ..

The team positions are as follows,

F open 1st the convicts 3490/339v

UK 4th 3427/261v

FTR 1st U.S.A 3412/261v

UK 3rd 3393/220v

Shooter

The team positions are as follows,

F open 1st the convicts 3490/339v

UK 4th 3427/261v

FTR 1st U.S.A 3412/261v

UK 3rd 3393/220v

Shooter

V Bull count is quite telling, both winning teams were shooting quite a bit tighter.

A quick piece of travel information for the team if they don't already know. At Denver airport, the TSA is advising that your rifle case should be secured with the maximum number of padlocks it's designed to take. In other words, if you have a Peli 1720, which has 2 eyelets, you're OK with 2 padlocks but if you have a case with 4 eyelets, you should fit 4 padlocks.

This directive is from the FAA and supposedly only applies at certain airports, but to avoid any chance of delays I'd make sure I had enough padlocks!

As you'll be flying out of the U.S. they won't need to be TSA locks, as once the case has been secured in the presence of a TSA officer, it won't be opened again until you clear customs in the UK.

A final report out by Laurie was posted on the GB F-Class home page last evening. Liked the FBI story.

Would also to hear some more about his comment why a straight .284 may have been a better option at Raton.

Great performance guys and congrats all round!

A final report out by Laurie was posted on the GB F-Class home page last evening. Liked the FBI story.

Would also to hear some more about his comment why a straight .284 may have been a better option at Raton.

Great performance guys and congrats all round!

That was a thoroughly entertaining read by Laurie.

From what little info I have gained the reason for perhaps using the .284 are, better gun handling when shooting fast is the name of the game, The barrel not heating up as fast as the WSM in the midday sun by sending 15 rounds down the range in a very short space of time, potentially causing vertical problems.

The Aussie who came second in the open individuals was using a 284 Win and said his velocity was 2830 fps, that's just damned good shooting. Looking at the V bull count by Mark Daish in the team event makes me wonder if he was using his .284?

What I would really like is a equipment list, I'm told the USA open team used 7mm SAUM's

Mark did use his .284 as did I.

I was so glad I took mine, it just handles quicker and smoother in quick relays.

Typically the Yanks were sending down 15 shots in 3-5 minutes.

Out of 60 rounds to count at 800 yards my ..284 only dropped 2 points shooting 15 rounds in typically 5 minutes, the WSM just could not achieve that in the same time.

When we return to pair firing in Canada it may well be different.

Also my thoughts are that both Australia and the USA string fire as a norm and we don't.

Also the top 3 countries are all used to shooting in 40degrees of heat and heavy mirage, those conditions are rare in our green and pleasant land lol.

I'm just getting up now and am heading to Cabelas for some retail therapy before flying home tonight.

We have lessons to learn but Canada in 4 years time will be more of our game..

Looking forward to getting home now and to wash the dust of Raton from my throat with a decent pint!

Thanks all for your support while we were away.

And yeas it was Tony and I who had joined the FBI, I thought they would have sussed though as Tony was wearing a plastic Sherrifs badge!!!

Cheers

Dave

Think were all back in blighty now, decent nights sleep and some home comfort made a lot of difference.

Just finished unpacking, now to strip down the rifle, clean the trigger, bolt and action ultrasonically - get rid of the dust and borescope the barrel.

I'll sit down when I do that - 600 rounds of string fire will not have done it any good.....although it did manage a 74 with 8v at 1000 on the first day of the individuals WC

Hindsight -

We were all told to take WSM, in reflection 284 or Shehane would have been a more informed choice in the circumstances.

The sheer accuracy of the 284 / Shehane - holding the V (5 inches diameter) at all distances (800, 900 and 1000) was the overriding factor.

The US team used predominantly 284's, the SA and Australians a mix of 284, and 300 / 7mm WSM's.

The heat, the dust caused some problems with the jewel triggers, the dust was so fine it got everywhere.

Nothing that couldn't be sorted, but when the trigger fails midway through a string of fire on the team shoot, it does nothing for the confidence or calmness of the firer.

I think that going from three days of competing in the US Nationals straight into the World Championships could have been better planned (on the part of the organisers) - a day off in between would have helped (team practice is not a day off)

The WC at Ontario Canada in four years time will be different - New Captain (hopefully Dave), a ME limit, so were restricted to 284's or Shehanes and cooler conditions without string fire will maybe even things up a little.

Time to start saving for this - wether I make the team or not, people thinking about going will need a lot of funds and commitment.

Its been a real pleasure and honour participating in the 2013 F Class WC at Raton, i'll post some pictures later.

Well done guys, you gave your best and represented us admirably. The financial commitment to go to a world's is huge and so is the support element from friends and family (I know as 3 of us from UKV are preparing to go to Australia for the benchrest world's in October)

So well done, look forward to the pictures

All the best

Bruce

US Nationals

Opening Ceremony - Raising the Flag

FTR / Open Representatives

_ASC0623_zps7bdd2a35.jpg

Cooper Range - out to 500 yds and beyond.....

_ASC0619_zps1fb4ac3d.jpg

_ASC0620_zps7c2e17ae.jpg

A happy pair reloading....

_ASC0616_zps1631a8e0.jpg

06:30 AM - day 1 US Nationals

_ASC0626_zps8b8ada17.jpg

The Tubb Range - 100, 1000 yd targets

_ASC0629_zps547201fc.jpg

_ASC0630_zpsc75dd88b.jpg

_ASC0631_zpsfecf634d.jpg

About 70 Pairs down on the firing point

_ASC0632_zpsfb65ddbf.jpg

One half of the Open Team Coachs

Bill Richards studying the wind

_ASC0634_zpsf190f1af.jpg

Sole Entrant from the Netherlands, Marco Bean, produced some stunning results with his new, "take off" barrel in 7/270 WSM from Les Bear Custom Rifles

_ASC0636_zps3f65a452.jpg

Cat Herding Anyone?

_ASC0637_zpsef981a05.jpg

Some views were interesting - one for Elwood

_ASC0638_zps4fc43d1c.jpg

Gary looking on

_ASC0639_zps237de65c.jpg

"El Capitano"

_ASC0640_zps841fdcd1.jpg

Des with his mean green machine..

_ASC0641_zpsca9e6b7e.jpg

Dave and Tony, (FBI agents in disguise)......

_ASC0642_zpsb64d4063.jpg

_ASC0646_zps8946f430.jpg

Mark and Ian

_ASC0649_zps151d555c.jpg

One of the few trucks out there with the back low enough for Dave to lean on!!

_ASC0651_zps1a819df4.jpg

Cooper Range at 06:30 Blow offs before the start of the World Championships (Ind)

_ASC0659_zps6addeb0f.jpg

Grant watching one of the guys shooting

_ASC0661_zps1601d02f.jpg

_ASC0662_zps5ee5738a.jpg

One of Tony's details

Watch the flag changes - 30 seconds between pictures

_ASC0671_zps5c78141c.jpg

_ASC0672_zps6f93ee85.jpg

100 down and ready

_ASC0675_zps91b249af.jpg

GB Open Team ready for the off at Day 1

_ASC0680_zps6b1c32a0.jpg

Other half of the Open Team Coaches - Martin Townsend coaching Grant at 1000 yds

_ASC0681_zps0a26a626.jpg

Bill Richards and Gary at 1000

_ASC0686_zpsae99f14f.jpg

Martin and Team Captain

_ASC0687_zpsf2b9fbce.jpg

Team South Africa

_ASC0684_zpsdceb6847.jpg

Team USA - Open

_ASC0690_zpsedafa9b2.jpg

_ASC0689_zps62f03292.jpg

Mark topping up the tan during the Team event

(he wasn't really)

_ASC0691_zps48b58f3c.jpg

Des and Darren

_ASC0692_zps332956c7.jpg

GB FTR Team with their well deserved and hard earned Bronze Medal

_ASC0710_zps4cc2fea0.jpg

GB Open Team

_ASC0714_zpsb10a2b73.jpg

Intense......its a bit like doing 3 back to back comps at Holesov in 40 degree heat.....without sleep, decent food or "cool ones"

Im all F Classed out at the moment, like quite a few of us on the team we've (a few of us) decided no more national comps this year, although I will be doing the European Championships at Bisley in November.

Just Borescoped the barrel,,,a little firecracking - but looks pretty good considering the abuse its had.

Now to get on with another Shehane once the action arrives from my friend in the North.

Hopefully, other UKV members who went on the trip will contribute to the photographs on the site.

I'll probably talk about the prep needed and spares parts and hindsight needed too.........later

Thanks Andy the pictures are great.

It was a tough comp indeed!!!

I've been busy trying to sort kit out today but failed and jet lag just got the better of me!

It was a good trip and I really would like to thank Mik and Tina his wife for all their hard work in making the trip possible.

Canada will be more to our liking in 4 years with pair firing Bisley style and temperatures close to UKs and nearly at sea level not 6500 feet!

My personal thought of Raton is I would not return there again in a hurry a World Championship where you spend an equal time pulling targets is not really on! To me that's like entering a major golf tornament and having to cut the greens between holes!!!

Thanks for all the support guys.

Dave

Archived