recommend a rimmie for a friend

A gameshooter friend of mine, is looking to buy himself a rimmie for rabbits and asked me what i though he should get. I told him to get a 17hmr or a .22mag as he isnt bothered about making any noise. What rifle do you think would be best, he doesnt want to spend a fortune as it will not be used a hell of a lot, I was thinking a 17hmr in one of those 16inch CZ varmints would be perfect for some rabbiting, I have no experience with CZ rifles but hear very good things about especially for the money and cant think of much else in .17hmr that is as cheap, I know anchuntz, ruger and weihrauch also make .17hmr's but dont know much about these either. I want to make sure I steer him right as he is a good mate and has thrown a lot of foxing on his shoots my way over the years.

Guest 308Panther

CZ makes good stuff..and is I believe the parent company for Brno Rifles..

I might be wrong about that tho..but I do know there is a connection somewhere to the effect.

.17 HMR or .22mag...tough call.

If he chooses the .17 HMR..limit edible small game to headshots...or use the slightly heavier hollow points.

The balistic tipped ones are very impact sensitive.

By this I mean the bullet literally explodes when it strikes bone and leaves very tiny fragments of bone,

lead,copper and plastic in the wound channel...Head shots limit the damage on edible meat contamination.

Not sure how they work on rabbits(damage)havent shot a bunny w/my .17HMR yet.

But its very terminal on feral cats,coons...

The only (minor) complaint I had...(now fixed) is the 3/8 dovetail scope mounting....

The choices of scope rings available to me to fit the dovetail were limited and put me in the universal multi fit bracket,

the rings wouldnt hold a zero..CZ has since come out with a "weaver" type base....its more a picatinny base then weaver.....once I slid that on and went to Leupold rings for a picatinny base..problem solved.

308Panther

Guest Smeagle

Mate, I use a CZ Classic .17 HMR and found it excellent, it is slightly noisier than the .22 LR and the wind does affect it out past certain ranges but so what. I like it it you can shoot it all night and it kills with no problem, some love em others hate em, personally a gun is a gun and it does all that it claims. CZ is BRNO there was a name change and factory retooling, but the quality of old has been maintained on the whole. The dove tails I have never found to be an issue, just use the correct rings. The one thing that some do is change the trigger out, some don't bother.

But for everything that you have said the CZ in either 17 or 22 will do it all. They are simply put for most game shooters the Rimmy of choice, NO ONE does it better for the money.

CZ will do it all .22 or 17hmr,unless you are better than average shot you wont see much improvement in buying anything more upmarket.If you must have real quality and a slight edge you will be on double or triple the money,I know I,ve had them but for pure killin and fun machine get a CZ.onehole

CZ in 22WMR is a better deal than 17HMR, in my opinion. After about 120 yards the WMR takes control ballistically I believe. I sold my CZ WMR almost instant regret. I love them CZ's far more accurate than me, I have three of them and two BRNO's Depending on what range he wants to shoot at a CZ 22lr is not a bad way to go, and it's cheaper. Rabbits out to 100 / 110 yards with subs in my Classic American. They just call them American now, I think the classic bit got dropped because of some legal thing over the rights to the Classic bit.

John

Yep, the wmr has better down range ballistics, but a trajectory like a rainbow, remember, power is absolutely nothing, if you miss what your aiming at, and the .17hmr, is a lot easier to shoot at long range. The cz is the best value for money, but needs the brookes kit, steer clear of the marlins, they are crap. Ruger 77 is nice, and obviously the anschutz, but in all honesty, 99% of shooters wont tell the difference at 100 yards.

Archived