changing HMR for?

gunner

hello fellas , i want to change calibre . with the ability to say 200yards including fox . but just not sure which ? hornet 22 i like but can i buy a new rifle in this calibre ? iv heard there quite scarce

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for replys lads , 20cals are awsome but it would be to much like my223 AI , anyone know what gun maker manufacturer the hornet 22 ? i won't go 17AH as read there still not dropping fox properly ... in some cases

thanks for replys lads , 20cals are awsome but it would be to much like my223 AI , anyone know what gun maker manufacturer the hornet 22 ? i won't go 17AH as read there still not dropping fox properly ... in some cases

CZ527 and one of the Zastava's are sold chambered in .22 Hornet.

What about .17 Hornet _ i swaped HMR for hornet and love it . first i got a savage because it was all i could . but now iv built a ruger with a .17 Shilen barrel ... love this round ... although loading is not easy ... im usung LIL-GUN and min to max is only 0.3grn !

nice ST ! i was looking at the ruger late yesterday they do look nice , i will cheak out the CZ too shortly :)

I've owned a dozen diffrent Hornets. CZ is the best I've shot, hands down. Half MOA consistently from the four CZ 527 American's belonging to friends and family.

Ruger may have improved their product since 1994, but my one Ruger Hornet was not only the worst Hornet I've owned, but THE worst rifle, period. Swore me off of Ruger CF rifles entirely.~Andrew

I just sold my CZ hmr and bought a HW 66 in .22 Hornet. I'm chuffed to bits with it!

My hmr was great, but i got fed-up with having to take into account the lightest of breezes. I'm using Hornady 35g V-Max heads and 12.8 grains of Lilgun and getting .3" groups. Chuffed to bits with it!

I read alot about needing to crimp and neck size to get the best accuracy. And it's not far wrong. I personally found that neck sizing or full sizing made little difference, (to my gun anyhow). But a slight crimp makes alot of difference to accuracy!

I've no regrets in changing at all! :)

200 yards on fox, thats 20 cal or 17 Rem territory.

I would suggest if you reload the 20 Vartrag, 32 grain bullets at 3500 fps and about 15 grains of powder.

A

200 yards on fox, thats 20 cal or 17 Rem territory.

I would suggest if you reload the 20 Vartrag, 32 grain bullets at 3500 fps and about 15 grains of powder.

A

2.0 moa drop and 2.5 moa FV 10mph at 200 yards 130yds zero point and shoot on trajectory to near 160 yards. 45 grn Seirra Hornet @2900 fps. It carries more than enough energy, need to go further than 200 or have some bad conditions to pick up a bigger gun these days myself. Blooming CZ 527 shoots as well as anything I have had off the shelf and in near three years I aint done no more than clean it yet, haven't even adjusted the trigger

Seems like a bargain buy on this link and comes with twelve months warranty

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Savage-Arms_Rifle_Mod-23D_For-Sale_130709105157417

Dear Lord! Don't even consider a Savage 23B. These are very weak actions and were never considered a good one for the Hornet, even when they were new....70 years ago. The barrel and reciever are one piece so a rebarrel is out of the question & the magazines were tinny. Chances are the barrel is toast. I have one of these in 25-20 Winchester and it's a fine rifle in that caliber, but it is too weak for the Hornet.~Andrew

I changed my HMR to .22 hornet, now swapped again to 17 Rem. I did some serious bunny whacking with the hmr and kind of miss it, I tend to go for my 223 or 243 when foxing so the 17 isn't getting much of a look in. The .22H was a nice rifle (cz527 American) and shot really well, certainly recommended.

Hello Jagged 77,

I have a .17HMR to buy on my ticket but am thinking of a .22 hornet.

Some posts say they have gone from a HMR to hornet and loved it.

It's mostly up to 200yd rabbits and maybe the odd fox but I have a .260 rem for fox and deer too.

I have a .22 lr and .260 rem. I need something to bridge that gap?

Whats your views?

Thanks Phil

Hi Phil

So many great options! A good .223 never goes amiss in any cabinet - so versatile. However you could look at a faster 22 like the .22-250 or go up to the .243 (again an extremely versatile cartridge). I'm not overly sold on my 17 rem but I've not given it chance really. The ballistics and performance of the .20 cals look good too and if I change from the 17 it'll be to a 20.

Personally I've got 2 x .223's a .17 rem and a .243 that bridge the gap you're talking about - the .223 and the .243 are my go too choices, can use them on deer too. When I did have a hornet I used it mostly for bunny blatting up to 250 yards and the occasional fox. Very cheap to run, home loads and factory shot really well and the CZ was a lovely little package. However it looses out a lot to a .223 - that would be my preferred choice I think.

Hello Jagged 77,

I have a .17HMR to buy on my ticket but am thinking of a .22 hornet.

Some posts say they have gone from a HMR to hornet and loved it.

It's mostly up to 200yd rabbits and maybe the odd fox but I have a .260 rem for fox and deer too.

I have a .22 lr and .260 rem. I need something to bridge that gap?

Whats your views?

Thanks Phil

hornet sounds about perfect fit in that gap. There is very little a larger c/f than the hornet can do that a 260 cannot with a lighter bullet and the difference between a .223 and a .222 and the hornet isn't very vast when you consider its capable of 2900 with 45 grn bullets. I think if you were out in high winds or shooting more distant ranges that the hornet was not up to there would be little argument that .260 beats the pants of a .223 etc. I now go .22 lr .22 hornet, .243 win and I don't find many gaps or cross overs

Just sent my ticket for variation hmr to.222 got a Baikal sat waiting for me nice light walkabout gun. With a HW60 with my name on it when my mate sells his 375 'cause that's paying for his new sako 222.

hornet sounds about perfect fit in that gap. There is very little a larger c/f than the hornet can do that a 260 cannot with a lighter bullet and the difference between a .223 and a .222 and the hornet isn't very vast when you consider its capable of 2900 with 45 grn bullets. I think if you were out in high winds or shooting more distant ranges that the hornet was not up to there would be little argument that .260 beats the pants of a .223 etc. I now go .22 lr .22 hornet, .243 win and I don't find many gaps or cross overs

Maybe I'm unique in my experience but I found a night and day difference in performance between a .22H pushing a low BC 50gr soft nose at 2500 fps and a .223 pushing a 50 gr V-max at 3250 fps (light low pressure load). Yes you might be able to push a 40gr V-max towards 3000fps in the .22H but it'll be high pressure and unlikely you can mag feed (if talking about a standard CZ mag). The hornet has its place but .223 is far superior - from a lightweight vermin load right the way to 700 /800 capable with 69gr bullets and a 1:9 twist (and beyond with heavier bullets). I even shot my 1:12 in 500 yard F-class for fun and it did ok.

As I said the hornet is great and has its place, but .223 is a better intermediate round (and better available rifle choice).

Archived