shooting with your rifle canted by 90 degree's

Its either a bit more or a bit less than you think and don't listen to a word anyone tells you....... especially me!

Too many have got it sussed now, we'll have to think of something new. :-P

Not sure about having the whole rifle canted 90, but if you check out early sniper set ups (WW1) some had scopes mounted to the side,

http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/deactivated-guns/allied-deactivated-guns/super-rare-ww1-smle-sniper-rifle/prod_1642.html

Not sure if the principle was to create a lower profile or to have the scopeas level with the bore as possible

Gents,

It does depend which way you roll the rifle.

For a RH rifle you would normally turn the rifle onto its left side, keeping bolt and ejection 'up'.

This effectively turns your zero elevation into some left windage - so you need to aim right to take this windage off.

You also now have no zero elevation so need to put back on you zero elevation so add some 'up'.

How much up and right you need is dependant on your rifle. For reference, my 6.5x47 with a 1.85" scope height at 100 m is about a 6" right and 8" high hold.

Terry

Orca.

The Magpul dvds cover it.

I think its the last disk, the one that covers optics.

Its where we got the idea from in the first place.

I missed all 5 shots on Saturday despite knowing where to shoot. :-P

Orca.

Rup you got the disk set I can borrow?

Orca.

2mil high 1 mil left worked for me at 140mtr.

Low left for you orka....

:lol::lol::lol:

Orca.

2mil high 1 mil left worked for me at 140mtr.

Low left for you orka....

:lol::lol::lol:The crucial fact you have omitted is your a left hooker....

Gents,

It does depend which way you roll the rifle.

For a RH rifle you would normally turn the rifle onto its left side, keeping bolt and ejection 'up'.

Terry that's the way I do it.

This effectively turns your zero elevation into some left windage - so you need to aim right to take this windage off.

Do I aim right or can I turn it out of the equation with the new windage turret that was my elevation turret? Think I may need to consider my zero stop at this point.

You also now have no zero elevation so need to put back on you zero elevation so add some 'up'. Because your windage turret has now become your elevation turret which means as its set to zero as a default it will (in .308) terms be about 4" low at 100m. Yup get it the picture is forming.

How much up and right you need is dependant on your rifle. For reference, my 6.5x47 with a 1.85" scope height at 100 m is about a 6" right and 8" high hold.

I think a trip to Bisley is coming I got to master this for my own sanity.

Terry

Thanks Terry really appreciated.

No you can't dial the elevation turret(now windage) far enough below zero to cancel your horizontal hold with a PMII. Elevation you can dial by using the windage(now elevation) knob.

No you can't dial the elevation turret(now windage) far enough below zero to cancel your horizontal hold with a PMII. Elevation you can dial by using the windage(now elevation) knob.

Mike,

OR you could set your zero stop to be the required setting to remove the elevation/windage at 100 yards (the typical canted range distance) and only hold a bit of 'up' - but that's tactics :)

Terry

Ha Terry, yes you could but fiddling with my zero is never good! BUT with a vernier scope its no problem, just don't forget which revolution you are on..........

A point not lost on our learned friend(no pun intended).

Archived