Evening lads,

Looking to buy a wind meter for the first time, any recommendations? I hear the Kestrel's are good? I will be plotting .308 solutions over no more than 1000m to start with.

Any advice welcomed.

Regards

Carl.

Any idea regarding model numbers?

Any idea regarding model numbers?

1000 does wind speed,max wind gust and average

2000 adds temperature

3000 adds humidity

4000 adds red night backlight

4500 adds wind direction

$85 to $270

Best check the full specs,and think carefully what you really need-you start to pay for extras.The basic does the essential wind well.

Gbal

got a 4000, great piece of kit, wind, pressure, Altitude ! dew point , and more , soo accurate measuring wind , its light and as small as a mobile phone . if you shoot past 250-300 in cross winds you need one !

I own a Kestrel 4000nv. If I lost it and was buying another I would probably still go for a Kesrel but it would have to be the Horus top of the range £450+ or a bottom of the range £100 one if that was out of my reach/budget.

The reason being is I only use it to read wind I don't use any of the features but would use the Horus built in ballistic calculator.

Evening lads,

Looking to buy a wind meter for the first time, any recommendations? I hear the Kestrel's are good? I will be plotting .308 solutions over no more than 1000m to start with.

Any advice welcomed.

Regards

Carl.

Just to complete the list the very latest kestrel

"weather meter with applied ballistics "is the all singing dancing one-if you really want to input 15 environmental variables-dew point temperature and the like-but it does have ballistics.....only £654.

Getting a wind measure(basic does it just the same as upmarket models) is a big step forward-but remember,that's wind speed at the muzzle,not the variable wind speed all the way out......and that is what matters,errrors in wind guaging dwarf most of the other variables....I assume you have good distance info-either fixed ranges or a good laser.

Gbal

Gbal

Thanks all, it would seem that its all or nothing! I would love to own the 4000nv but at this stage i feel my Ballistic app on the iPhone does a great job. I think i will just get the basic model to start with.

Archived