Fastest Rabbit Gutting

Alan17hmr

Hello

Found this on you tube

Tried it and it works, also handy for leaving fox food

Alan

What worries me about this way is you frankly aint a clue if you have ruptured the stomach contents and or bladder, tainting and contaminating the meat. Besides it isn't much faster than watering it out with a thumb press, a quick cut and then a sharp flick holding the legs

Don't think that would work for us, when we go rabbiting there's normally 3 of us, one driving the kobota, one lamping and one shooting. Then at the end of the night when we gut the rabbits one squeezes the pee out one slices it open and the other removes the guts. We can do 80 plus rabbits no time at all :)

i have tried that method and you do get a few internal bursts depending where fluffy has been hit.

the old way is the best -open up the stomach from chest to groin and get your fingers behind the stomach and remove the internals.

i have tried that method and you do get a few internal bursts depending where fluffy has been hit.

the old way is the best -open up the stomach from chest to groin and get your fingers behind the stomach and remove the internals.

I've tried this method a few times and had a few internal bursts, I think it works best as soon as the rabbits shot, if they are allowed to cool for an hour or so it doesn't work as well, like Gary says the old way is best, it may take a little longer but a few extra seconds to get a neater job are well spent especially if you sell your rabbits.

Try the "quick flick" the fast speed up and abrupt stop precludes putting your fingers in behind the stomach via inertia. It takes a bit of practice like using kinetic hammers

Try the "quick flick" the fast speed up and abrupt stop precludes putting your fingers in behind the stomach via inertia. It takes a bit of practice like using kinetic hammers

KENT-tried that once and ended up with rabbit guts all over the motor -should have stood further away.i agree with you its a good method but i like to keep my hands warm ;)

works a treat only down side I found was liver tended to go as well making it hard to check for fluke etc.

works a treat only down side I found was liver tended to go as well making it hard to check for fluke etc.

Liver fluke doesn't condemn the carcass, if its gone its gone- unlike contamination through putting dirty fingers inside. Yeah, it does shoot out sometimes but I only keep an odd few livers. Its getting hard to get quality Liver at present other than from calf, so I assume fluke is very prevalent currently

• 10 months later...

I've tried the push gutting method and eventually got it to work, but not before turning a funny colour several times, whilst been barracked by my shooting pal. This ten stone weakling has gone back to the old way.

That is unbelievably awful - no way would I ever employ such a gutting technique. I wonder if Buster Braincell in the video jumps on Muntjac rather than gralloching them?

With a bit of practise this method works very well, I cant remember ever rupturing any internals and its a very clean way to empty the occassional freshly shot rabbit. I use this method when Im out for a walk and only plan to shoot a few.

The downside to the method is that when the rabbit has cooled down it takes considerably more effort to do, equally if you have a lot of rabbits and a mate it is quicker if one slits while the other empties the cavity. I certainly wouldnt fancy the prospect of push gutting even 20 cooled down rabbits let alone 100's, you would need forearms like Popeye, anchor oiptional ;).

Been chuckling to myself reading this I have visions of shooters up and down the country suffering from hernias, red faced and blood shot eyes with a rabbit in their fists dropping there last rabbit currants.

I'm a plain simple flinger a quick shallow cut and wang away towards your lamper. Lol

luckily ill get a £1 each for mine and they must have the guts in

I was wondering the same.

There again, years ago I used to sell white hares to the local game dealer and he wanted them guts in which is how his Italian buyer wanted them.

Archived