Mirage

Does anyone have a link to a web page that discusses or can advice on, how to evaluate and compensate for mirage, particularly when wind flag indications and mirage movement direction conflict? Thanks in advance.

Ryan Cleckner discusses it here:

This seems tio be a quite simple but easily useable guide to allowing for wind.

maybe he discusses mirage in one of his other listed videos....

Gbal

Ryan Cleckner discusses it here:

Does anyone have a link to a web page that discusses or can advice on, how to evaluate and compensate for mirage, particularly when wind flag indications and mirage movement direction conflict? Thanks in advance.

Tricky-Mike Ratigan ("Extreme rifle accuracy" does not even have an index entry for mirage per se...Possible strategies meanwhile include:

Wait

Pray

Spray

50BMG

Marry a Math PhD-the calculations are going to be tricky,and in conflicting directions,so you'll need multiple /parallel task processing ability,which men can't do.

Simples :-)

Gbal

Gbal - I think the the mirage and wind will, at the same point, blow in the same direction.

I took the question to mean (as Cleckner discusses£ wind and mirage alternating down the range at differing points

Is there a true phenomenon where mirage will flow against wind, at the same geographical point?

It frightens me to death! Fortunately, we don't get much mirage in the UK - but that means we don't get to practice shooting in it.

I've shot in it abroad quite a few times at benchrest comps. and when I asked the advice of an American shooter he said "Think of it as a wind you can see".

But, it's not the 'wind effect' that worries me - it's the way the mirage moves the image. Set your rifle up rested in mirage conditions with the crosshair on the bull then, keep looking through the scope and, as the mirage alters, so does the position of the crosshairs. Not only that, it sometimes obscures the target rings.

I hate mirage!

It frightens me to death! Fortunately, we don't get much mirage in the UK - but that means we don't get to practice shooting in it.

I've shot in it abroad quite a few times at benchrest comps. and when I asked the advice of an American shooter he said "Think of it as a wind you can see".

But, it's not the 'wind effect' that worries me - it's the way the mirage moves the image. Set your rifle up rested in mirage conditions with the crosshair on the bull then, keep looking through the scope and, as the mirage alters, so does the position of the crosshairs. Not only that, it sometimes obscures the target rings.

I hate mirage!

Our 100m range in Cornwall has just a sandy/gravel type surface all the way to the targets,,,heats up quire easily and resultant mirage totally destoys my shooting unless there is a good wind to keep it down on the ground,,,,gives me eye ache too!!!!!!!

As Vince's experience strongly suggests,mirage is one of the horror scenarios.

The real issue is it seems to cause a shimmer effect and the target seems to move wrt the crosshair,side to side-wind just does not change that quickly,and is a real effect-mirage is "just" making aiming very difficult.The net effect will be not unlike shooting with an unsteady L/R rest-the barrel moves,causing lateral bullet shift.There may be some verical in mirage too.Or the target moving in the wind,though that at least is clear,not blurred too.

You can reduce mild hot barrel induced mirage with a barrel top mirage blocker.If it's on the target,caused by rising warm/hot air,see my other suggestions,though it will be just as much a problem for everyone else.Nightmare.Don't go there,day on the beach indicated,or long ranging in the desert,if you are in Arizona-plenty mirage of course,but 50 cal options,not readily available here.

Cornwall-ice cream.surfing....?

Gbal

Nah Gbal!!!too much ice cream and pasties over the last 50 years has done my beach body a bit of damage!!!I stay at the range and try and encourage others to do their comp cards in the nice sunshine,,, hehe!! there,s always another day for me,,,,,,,,,,

I seem to recollect that whilst shooting at Blair Atholl in bonny Scotland, the wind flags (up higher on the hillside) indicated left to right wind. However at ground level there was an element of mirage which indicated right to left. So my brain could not compute and was a little confused to say the least. That scenario has not happened often but the worst part was the mirage boiling vertically which caused the sight picture to be totally distorted. Funnily enough the same happened at an F class comp at the Barry Budden range near Dundee. The ground was very sandy and radiated a huge amount of heat during the day. The mirage just 'boiled' and the target looked as though it had been stretched and squeezed out of shape. Very difficult. As Mr Pimp says, I just hate mirage!

Nah Gbal!!!too much ice cream and pasties over the last 50 years has done my beach body a bit of damage!!!I stay at the range and try and encourage others to do their comp cards in the nice sunshine,,, hehe!! there,s always another day for me,,,,,,,,,,

..A cunning plan!

I was shooting in a hail storm yesterday.Why are more shots bounced out than in?Whatever happened to chance?

Gbal

hate mirage? turn you mag level down to take the shot, it might need to go pretty low though. if its really going for it you see it with the naked eye, then your really stuffed

I seem to recollect that whilst shooting at Blair Atholl in bonny Scotland, the wind flags (up higher on the hillside) indicated left to right wind. However at ground level there was an element of mirage which indicated right to left. So my brain could not compute and was a little confused to say the least. That scenario has not happened often but the worst part was the mirage boiling vertically which caused the sight picture to be totally distorted. Funnily enough the same happened at an F class comp at the Barry Budden range near Dundee. The ground was very sandy and radiated a huge amount of heat during the day. The mirage just 'boiled' and the target looked as though it had been stretched and squeezed out of shape. Very difficult. As Mr Pimp says, I just hate mirage!

I remember that Barry Budden shoot.....................total lottery!

Here is Vince's photo he took at Barry Budden showing a 'static' view of mirage. I can confirm that the target was in my view the worst I have ever seen and wobbled considerably making shot placement difficult to say the least.

To make it worse they were using a red/white spotting disc marking system - i.e. red was a V bull, white was a five, red was a four etc. Total farce!

I clearly remember the Range Officer's briefing "There will be no delays...." We were asking for clarification after every shot! The daft thing was - about a month later I got a cheque for £2.50 for being third in something!

I think it was after Barry Budden that the GB F Class Assoc. made the decision NEVER to share shoots with Target Rifle.

Here is Vince's photo he took at Barry Budden showing a 'static' view of mirage. I can confirm that the target was in my view the worst I have ever seen and wobbled considerably making shot placement difficult to say the least.

Thats one of my eye balls early Sunday morning!!!!!!!!

Thanks, all, for your words of wisdom, snippets or more to be taken from each. Here's a link to the string responses to same question posed on 6mmbr -

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3818244.0

and

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3818244.15 which may assist others trying to fathom this out if are able to open the link.

Also, these two books were referenced and subsequently endorsed - Nancy Tompkins' book, "Prone and Long Range Rifle Shooting" and Linda Miller and Keith Cunningham's book, "The Wind Book for Rifle Shooters."

Bisley, here I come!!

Thanks, all, for your words of wisdom, snippets or more to be taken from each. Here's a link to the string responses to same question posed on 6mmbr -

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3818244.0

and

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3818244.15 which may assist others trying to fathom this out if are able to open the link.

Also, these two books were referenced and subsequently endorsed - Nancy Tompkins' book, "Prone and Long Range Rifle Shooting" and Linda Miller and Keith Cunningham's book, "The Wind Book for Rifle Shooters."

Bisley, here I come!!

Well,thanks for this-I'm not sure that any answers are in the threads.("pay attention to the mirage"....)

Did anyone actually seem to have read the books,and pass on what was in them,if it resolved your question,or was in any way helpful? Especially for the serious distortion mirage that (rarely) occurs in UK?

Gbal

Well,thanks for this-I'm not sure that any answers are in the threads.("pay attention to the mirage"....)

Did anyone actually seem to have read the books,and pass on what was in them,if it resolved your question,or was in any way helpful? Especially for the serious distortion mirage that (rarely) occurs in UK?

Gbal

I think it's a case of taking from the strings what you will and try each concept that you believe to be potentially credible, on the range, repeatedly.

Sleepygator says "Both books cover much more than mirage and approach the subject holistically"

XTR says "I've heard Nancy Tompkins book referred to with positive comments in more than one place."

I've not read them yet, may get from a library in first instance.

I think it's a case of taking from the strings what you will and try each concept that you believe to be potentially credible, on the range, repeatedly.

Sleepygator says "Both books cover much more than mirage and approach the subject holistically"

XTR says "I've heard Nancy Tompkins book referred to with positive comments in more than one place."

I've not read them yet, may get from a library in first instance.

Thanks-I suspected that the books had not been read-or anything worthwhile reported from them.One clue is that one of the 'recommendations' at least does not even mention 'mirage'-just wind,or 'hot air',perhaps ,in this context.

Not any comment on you of course,more that heavy mirage remains an enigma....back to square one!

Gbal

• 9 months later...

Archived