Tactical .308 rifles.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi londonhunter here

Can we do a poll of TRG owners here ...................

Does anybody know how to set this up?

With all the engineering background of UK why dont we commission a smith in UK to Make a cool looking tripod and sell it back to the yanks...........

How about that .......................

Please bump on this thread and throw drawings and ideas in the pot..........

How about a light weight titanium bipod that fits into the TRG original front slot ? something very sloid CHEAP and light and british made ???????????

londonhunter

Hi londonhunter here

Can we do a poll of TRG owners here ...................

Does anybody know how to set this up?

With all the engineering background of UK why dont we commission a smith in UK to Make a cool looking tripod and sell it back to the yanks...........

How about that .......................

Please bump on this thread and throw drawings and ideas in the pot..........

How about a light weight titanium bipod that fits into the TRG original front slot ? something very sloid CHEAP and light and british made ???????????

londonhunter

I have asked Terje to email me rather than PM and I will share the address - we may have enough volume here to make it interesting :lol:

On the bipod I actually just asked Terje if he had thought of making an adaptor to go in to the TRG stock slot but with a Versapod type pin. That seemed the simplest way to me of using the slot with a decent cost bipod. I'm told the Military branded ones are pretty good.

If anyone here has a bipod to take measurements off maybe someone here has the skills to machine an adaptor....

Tony

Here is Terje's response earlier :-

"Tony,

I make cheekpiece shims from 10mm hight and up.

Cheekpiece from 10mm ut to 15mm, you need a shorter T-nut than the orginale T-Nut.

I can made you a shorter one if you dont want to cut your orginale one.

Recoilpad shims from 10mm and up.

Terje "

And just re:the adaptor idea , seems I can't claim it as mine :lol:

"Yes I have thought that idea about that adaptor, but I havent have time to work with it yet."

TC

I have had an adapter made to fit the TRG using the Parker Hale AI bipod, and although it works it's still not as stable as the Sako bipod.

The chap who made it did as a challenge, when he told me what it would have cost, it would probably have been cheaper to buy the Sako.

I will do a few pictures tonight.

Ian

The beauty of the TRG bipod is that the pivot is over the barrel, gives a lot of stability and wide leg spread (always important). I like the idea a bit more than I like the actual bipod - it feels a bit thin in the legs, that said most plod here don't brake them - only known of a one or two broken.

I saw a Rob Hunters Sako to AI / Parker-Hale, (versa-pod) fitting, that worked and looked good. Think there is an article on that one on precisionrifle.uk

I never took the idea forward but a mate thought the bipod off a Steyr 50bmg / 480 could be adapted and work well.

The only advantage I can see to a Parker-Hale type bipod is that I use a strange kneeling and sitting position and can use another spigot on the AI rail to let me mount it further back where I can use it for some support. The Sako can only be mounted in one place, though it can be stowed feet forward or back-wards.

Just a thought for anyone building a better mousetrap - have a look whats on the big boomer's, they tend to be a bit more innovative.

David.

David,

Just scanned through this thread; two of your observations have made me laugh out loud:

Blaser LRS2 - POS, only thing I will say is a least I did not buy two of them.

Aimed at me I take it? :lol::lol:

and

gives a lot of stability and wide leg spread (always important).
:lol::lol:

Ronin.

Could you tell me more about this ?

I have found a chap call Terje in Norway who machines removable spacers with thumb wheels but nothing that makes the stock truly adjustable.

My TRG-22 should arrive in the next couple of weeks and I'm a bit of a tall git....

Cheers

Tony

He's not kidding about his height, he has to wear aircraft warning lights when he's walking in the countryside after dark :lol: .

How are you Tony .

Regards Pete.

David,

Just scanned through this thread; two of your observations have made me laugh out loud:

Aimed at me I take it? :lol::lol:

and

:lol:;)

BD,

I preferred your description of the Blaser experience as a - "horizontal learning curve". :lol:

I will email you a few pics of stability with a wide leg spread tomorrow, though I`m not sure how to get it mounted. :lol:

David

He's not kidding about his height, he has to wear aircraft warning lights when he's walking in the countryside after dark :lol: .

How are you Tony .

Regards Pete.

I'm good mate - came across to the dark side :lol:

Now if Northants will just come through with some variations I'm planning on making accurate loud noises rather than just rapid loud noises!

TRG-22 sitting there waiting for my variation.

I'm hoping Chris will get his RFD through so I can shoot it :lol:

Tony

I'm good mate - came accross to the dark side :lol:

Now if Northants will just come through with some variations I'm planning on making accurate loud noises rather than just rapid loud noises!

TRG-22 sitting there waiting for my variation.

I'm hoping Chris will get his RFD through so I can shoot it :lol:

Tony

Don't hold your breath for Northants , make a polite request to Bridgitte that your competition date is fast looming and would there be any chance it might be ready in time, a little white lie won't go amiss. Also helps to offer to pick it up personally once it's printed and signed off.

As far as I'm aware Chris got his RFD last week.

Pete.

Wow that does looks an expensive piece of machining !

I had envisaged something simpler then adding a Versa spigot to it rather than being machined as one.

Unusually, TRG gear seems to be pretty evenly priced UK vs US. I wonder how the prices run in Finland....

Pete, Northants in fairness have been good, I could have had the ticket through already for target but it has taken me a while to get my fox/vermin permission sorted for .223

Tony

So for Terje spacers so far we have :-

Kaleiderscope x2

Elwood

Londonhunter

Myself

I'll ask if we can get a deal on 5 sets.

Guys, we will need to confirm sizes and of course colours.

Any more ?

TC

So for Terje spacers so far we have :-

Kaleiderscope x2

Elwood

Londonhunter

Myself

I'll ask if we can get a deal on 5 sets.

Guys, we will need to confirm sizes and of course colours.

Any more ?

TC

Colour, not bothered about as it will be getting the Duralove treatment any how! :lol:

Colour, not bothered about as it will be getting the Duralove treatment any how! :lol:

I'll be giving you a call Kal - my TRG is coming in Black/Stainless which does not look quite right to me.

Probably just have the barrel blacked at this stage.

TC

Wow that does looks an expensive piece of machining !

I had envisaged something simpler then adding a Versa spigot to it rather than being machined as one.

Unusually, TRG gear seems to be pretty evenly priced UK vs US. I wonder how the prices run in Finland....

Tony

That would have cost me £500 if I had been charged for all the hours that went into designing and making it, I'm glad to say it cost me 1/10th of that price.

The guy in question is a seriously skilled man who saw it as a challange, if I had known what was needed to make such an adapter I would never have asked him.

The main reason I wanted it was becuase I use the rifle for stalking and I wanted a bipod that could be slipped on very quickly and be carried in my pocket when not in use, to that purpose it does the job extremely well

Cheapest TRG bipod I have seen in the US was $500 which is about £240 ? I guess by the time you have paid postage and tax it will end up about the same cost as here.

Ian

Archived