22lr Scope.

achosenman

Hi guys, some advice needed.

I have just got picked up a Sako Finnfire Varmint in 22lr. This is an area of shooting I have neglected for the last ten years or so. It has become obvious to me that I have no idea on who makes a good rf scope these days.

Some pointers on scopes would be appreciated. I need something with an AO down to a minimum of 10yds since I will be using CB longs in a barn or two and the rest of the work would be with standard Winny or Eley sub sonic out to around 50 yds or 100, on a calm day with a following wind.

I have looked at A Vortex Diamondback 4-12 AO on the RifleCraft site. And looked at Hawke Eclips 4-16 SF (this seems a bit too much on the magnification front to me) on the Uttings site. Does anyone have any experience of these two scopes?

Or does anyone know of a better scope?

Atb

I have two hawke scopes on my 22's a 4-16x50 AO map pro and 3-9x50 airmax. I also have a 6-24x44 varmint SF on my .243.

the airmax is good for close range but not one I would've bought (came off my lads airgun). The map pro is ok but I find the front focus stiff. I would recommend the varmint SF to anyone for the money it's a cracking scope the 4-16 may suit you better. I find the smaller 44 optic gives a better head position than the 50mm ones do.

Thanks for that sonic.

I have spent some time playing with the Hawke reticle program looking at the different reticles and zero options. I spent some time yesterday looking at their entire line up. The model you suggest was one I kept re-visiting funnily enough. I think I will go with your suggestion and try the 4-16 x44SF varmint.

Atb

It wont matter what scope you use with CB longs, I am not exaggerating but if you get 1" at 10 yards you have done ok, IMO too much gun for inside a barn unless its very big in which case you will struggle to hit anything. I have tried all sorts of scopes on .22 lr and my favourite by far is a 6x42 S+Bender although I shouldn't discount something like a Meopta as at second hand values they can come in quite cheap and have excellent glass. There just aint time to twiddle with adj. Objectives and magnification out Rabbit or vermin shooting- good fun in practice! better let be in the field. But the best variable is perhaps the Leupold 33mm Objective EFR (extended focal range), this is built for rimfire use and comes with or without target turrets in matt or gloss. Hawke are ok but the lenses show their economy when the light fades in comparison to proper quality glass without the unnecessary gimmicks. Second hand values of a decent 6x42 tend to float around £200 and there are a stack of them that come up on the net, this compares favourably against a plastic fantastic new.

Hi Kent, I take your points and I do agree..

However the reason for cheap glass is because I will not be using it much during daylight hours and when I do it will be inside barns (think aircraft hangar size) shooting the doves from the girders. That is why I wanted a scope that could be set for parallax at 10yds or so. That means none of the usual choices I would make for a scope, would do. My £2000+ scopes sat on my CF rifles will only set parallax to 50m plus...far too long for this job IMO. At night for rabbits and rats etc, it will wear a Pulsar750.

The only reason I thought I'd try CB longs was because I know someone who shoots them and gets good results. Ammo brand and a tuned barrel seem to be the order of the day for a rimmy and I have an idea or two about how I am going to achieve that. Of course it may be nothing more than wishful thinking on my part...but it gets me out of the house. ;)

Atb

I have a couple of MTC scopes on a FAC air rifle and on my rimmy, cheap and do a good job, obviously thay aint in the league of scopes you will pay £500 or more but good for the short range work.

Andy

Hi Kent, I take your points and I do agree..

However the reason for cheap glass is because I will not be using it much during daylight hours and when I do it will be inside barns (think aircraft hangar size) shooting the doves from the girders. That is why I wanted a scope that could be set for parallax at 10yds or so. That means none of the usual choices I would make for a scope, would do. My £2000+ scopes sat on my CF rifles will only set parallax to 50m plus...far too long for this job IMO. At night for rabbits and rats etc, it will wear a Pulsar750.

The only reason I thought I'd try CB longs was because I know someone who shoots them and gets good results. Ammo brand and a tuned barrel seem to be the order of the day for a rimmy and I have an idea or two about how I am going to achieve that. Of course it may be nothing more than wishful thinking on my part...but it gets me out of the house. ;)

Atb

Best short range focusing scope on a budget bar none Simmons whitetail 1.5-5x20mm can focus on the end of you barrel! this is what I use in barns. The Parallax will have zero impact if your using CB longs in fact just look down the barrel or just plain mount the gun on them and trust to luck, they really are that bad! get an airgun the CB long is inaccurate I can barely get an inch at 8yds rested and carries too much punch 10-15 ft lb from a .22 springer is perfect. I am not guessing at this or acting on 3rd party testimony I have shot so many in a single evening that we counted the full barrow loads. Sometimes they take cover and you only have the head to shoot at with the CB's you wont hit it but you will likely damage the building.

Hi Kent I do believe you but I must say you seem to be a bit unlucky, or maybe I'm just lucky.

I have just had a play with my newly acquired Finnfire with it's sawn off barrel, and it's more than I was expecting. Especially since I committed to buy from the seller's photo's since the price was that good.

Anyway long story short, I have put some CB longs through it this morning along with the normal subs for rabbiting. I'm getting .3 inches for a 5 round group at 15m consistently with the CB longs. That is certainly no long range bullet, but I do believe I can remove a dove from a girder without missing the backstop with that.

What rifle are you using?

Atb

Yeah. CCI CB Longs certainly aren't the best. Better off with a good grade of Match Short. I get 2.5 inches from my iron sighted Marlin using CB Longs at 25M.~Andrew

I almost forgot!

I have a couple of Leupold "Rimfire Special" 2-7X scopes on Brno #1 and #2 rifles. Brilliant little scopes!

Hi Kent I do believe you but I must say you seem to be a bit unlucky, or maybe I'm just lucky.

I have just had a play with my newly acquired Finnfire with it's sawn off barrel, and it's more than I was expecting. Especially since I committed to buy from the seller's photo's since the price was that good.

Anyway long story short, I have put some CB longs through it this morning along with the normal subs for rabbiting. I'm getting .3 inches for a 5 round group at 15m consistently with the CB longs. That is certainly no long range bullet, but I do believe I can remove a dove from a girder without missing the backstop with that.

What rifle are you using?

Atb

Doubtless a lot has to do with batches and barrels but my gun is not really ammo fussy and shoots anything very well (even the lighter weight HV) . Two of my mates also tried them, indeed just about everyone I speak to reports the same. .22 short were about the same, I have seen match shorts shoot very well from a short chambered barrel. My thoughts really surround the why bother just about every half decent air rifle will better CB's and I fully expect the CB long to go clean through the body with enough energy remaining to damage a roof or ricochet badly ( I wear safety specs using the airgun in barns) I owned and ran a 30 ft lb PCP - it was too much grunt for this! a CB short adds around 10 ftlb again. At 30-35 yds you should still be able to hit a pigeon in the head with an airgun , under the wing fold or between were you imagine the shoulder blades to be and its lights out at 12 ft lb. Wear a hat with the specs BTW you will soon find out why if there is a lot of them! The new CCI quiets are reputed to be far better but again energy is too high for this work IMO

Got a 3-9x50 fine cross hair leupold mint with box paper work flip covers, had it on a 17hmr worked very well ;)

Pm if interested mate

Archived