Has anyone painted/cammo'd their rifle

Guest northernchris

Guest Smeagle

Hi mate. a certain mate of mine does his all the time, I have painted stocks without to much hassle but sometimes it rubs of and looks terrible. He uses Pot Belly Black which he sprays on in can form over the metal parts and car paint in spray cans for a the rest. The finish isn't real flash but it does the camo job. It all depends on what you want to do, if it is just to cam the rifle you can use pretty much anything it won't do any harm but it won't look that good. If you want to dress it up you can go the whole hog and have teflon coatings and dipped etc.

Some people are really precious about there rifles but they are designed pretty tough. If you just want to do a stock and want a better job a local crash repairer can do it, I believe you work in the motor trade so it shouldn't be that hard, do it like any other fibreglass or plastic part.

From what I've heard the gel coat finishes(camo's and marbles)are the most resilient(more so than the painted versions apparently).There are no doubt a few others on the forum who can say more on the durability of the finish.As I said before, I am STILL waiting for mine!Regards Toby

Apologies I should of been more specific, the painted finishes do eventually come off, however, the marble finishes (moulded) are part of the stock mould and are pretty much permanant.

There are much better finishes out there these days that are much more durable.

Hi Toby,

Are you the same guy from the Modern Stalking forum who is waiting for his stock thropugh the Norwegian Importers?

It is a shame that you are still waiting, how long has it been now?

My stock took 4 1/2 months from orderng to my door, within the 16 to 20 weeks that Mcmillan promised.

http://z6.invisionfree.com/ukvarminting/in...p?showtopic=996

I am very satisfied with it, however i must explain that i was not expecting a completely finished all whistles and flutes drop-in stock, i knew exactly what i was paying for.

Total cost to me including tax and duty was 4043 NOK.

From what i have been reading, it seems to me that the hold up with these stocks might be with the importers not Mcmillan.

All i can say is next time you want a stock order it direct yourself and get it delivered by UPS straight to your door.

Ian

DSC02347.jpg At last!Stock arrived yesterday.Delivered the Sako to riflesmith for bedding tonight.Will post pics of completed rifle later.regards Toby Ps Yes I am same guy from Modern Stalking,ordered stock 23.11.2006 got it 22.5.2007.Was quoted 4mths.Still,impressed with quality so far!

Archived