.223 zero range?

Lewis2012

you guys that zero at 200 if you shoot one at say 80 yard you must have to aim say an inch or two low is that right, cheers simon

Yes about one inch.With a 200 yard zero,most bullets in 223 will be between 1.1 inches(40g,3600 fpsmv)) and 1.5 inches(53g 3250 fpsmv) high at 100 yards,and still rising up at 80 yards,so one inch high at 80 yards is pretty close.

Gbal

I zerod my browning A-bolt .223 around an inch high at 100 yards does this sound about right to you?...

Lewis. That sounds a very good plan to me. One neglected benefit of the MPBR approach is you get used to a sight picture on your quarry. I've been shooting deer rifles since the late '60's and 99% of the time they have been set up to shoot 1 inch high at a 100yds.

Regards JCS

Not being rude but if you zero at 100 and expect to know what your doing from there out to 300 then you either hit lucky or are well out further out. 100 is 100 and thats it ,,,an inch high at 100 is just plain nowhere at 200 unless field tested or lucky.If you want to do 100 to 300 then whatever your calibre test it on paper, you will be well educated.

I,m talking 0 to 300 on bunnies not deer so less of an issue with bigger quarry,,,,,

Cant believe some of you guys think zeroing at an inch high at 100 or what ever will get you on at longer range,,,I initially do this at local 100yd benchrested range and pretty much most of the time and out in the field at 200 yards I am way out in trajectory and wind,,, given calm conditions.Even then I will re -test my zero at 200 given the best possible conditions and learn from there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,200 is a long way ishhh and no sighters from now on,,,,,,,,,,,,,O

Not being rude but if you zero at 100 and expect to know what your doing from there out to 300 then you hit lucky or are well out further out. 100 is 100 and thats it ,,,an inch high at 100 is just plain nowhere at 200 unless field tested or lucky.If you want to do 100 to 300 then whatever your calibre test it on paper you will be well educated.

I,m talking 0 to 300 on bunnies not deer so less of an issue with bigger quarry,,,,,

A little pessimistic-ballistic guides will give an approximation,...like an inch high at 100 for a 22/250 will be close to zero at 200 -it won't be 4 inches high,or 6 inches low.

But it is important to check by actually shooting at say 200-there are lots of small factors,some in that rifle only,that have some effect-so check it out by shooting at that distance (200) and any others you intend to shoot at.You will also get some important information about you rifles precision (or not) at these distances....iy will not be just pro rata on the 100 yard group-it'll be worse.

Gbal

i think the best range is the one you most shoot them at, i zero at 130 yard spot on as i do shoot more around the 150 ish distance,any at 200 or over i just hold over a inch or two as i dont like the idea of dialing in, in the dark, it seems to much messing about to me when the fox could be gone any second, just my opinion, i suppose in the day if your shooting long range at rabbits etc you have more time to dial in your scope.cheers simon..

Archived