FAC dumb questions?

I've been shooting for quite some time without owning my own rifles or holding an FAC.

I graduate University this summer and I'd like to get an FAC sorted out soon, but there seems to be a lot of conflicting information which is causing me some confusion, so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experiences with me?

Firstly, does the safe have to be installed at my home address? It doesn't explicitly say this in the literature and there may be better, more accessible and more secure locations available to me...

Should I apply for the rifles/calibres I expect to realistically expect to purchase in the next five years, or for just what I would want straight away?

When applying for moderators, do I say, for example "6.5mm sporting rifle with moderator", or do I ask for the moderator separately?

For that matter, can I use the metric calibre, or will I have to state that in imperial?

When applying for firearms for vermin/deer control, how would I go about applying for expanding/hollowpoint/softpoint ammunition?

When applying for a sporting rifle for stalking, do I need to have permission ground big enough to shoot it over, or can I give evidence of stalking experience as a paying customer?

Wow, that's a lot of questions! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've been shooting for quite some time without owning my own rifles or holding an FAC.

I graduate University this summer Well done you and I'd like to get an FAC sorted out soon, but there seems to be a lot of conflicting information which is causing me some confusion, so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experiences with me? That'll be me then .........

Firstly, does the safe have to be installed at my home address? It doesn't explicitly say this in the literature and there may be better, more accessible and more secure locations available to me...

Prima facie they should be located in your normal place of residence therefore you would need to explain in more detail your "alternatives" for storage.

Should I apply for the rifles/calibres I expect to realistically expect to purchase in the next five years, or for just what I would want straight away?

Yes, with good reason for possession for each one.

When applying for moderators, do I say, for example "6.5mm sporting rifle with moderator", or do I ask for the moderator separately?

Moderators are listed separately so you list them on your application.

For that matter, can I use the metric calibre, or will I have to state that in imperial?

You state the calibre you wish to purchase by its common name e.g 6.5x55 or .308 or 7mm Mag or 300 winmag etc.

When applying for firearms for vermin/deer control, how would I go about applying for expanding/hollowpoint/softpoint ammunition?

Get hold of an application they are on line now with most Constabulary's and read it this will answer a lot of your questions.

When applying for a sporting rifle for stalking, do I need to have permission ground big enough to shoot it over, or can I give evidence of stalking experience as a paying customer?

You need to provide "Good Reason" this is explained in the Home Office Guidance here is a link, make sure it is up to date:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/117797/HO-Firearms-Guidance.pdf

Yup and you will loads more.... :) Think about joining the British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC) they have a Firearms team who will gladly advise you.

Cheers Orka!

Joining BASC is on my to do list; just need to get a bit of work done first to alleviate university induced poverty.

Does anyone else feel like some aspects of applications are less than clear though, particularly how to apply for moderators - there is almost nothing online about this!

Yep put the mods down the same as you put a rifle. It is a bit of a mine field, I was lucky as the fire arms officer talked me through the whole thing and helped me fill out my first form. Might be worth given yours a call.

Hi

there may be a little apparently 'conflicting' info,as practices have changed and there is some discretion.The only person who matters initially is your FLO-it is in your and their joint interest to process your application as smoothly as possible,so phone and ask.If you ask for a 6.5 mm rifle you will get that(if agreed) on your permission to purchase;do not translate into imperial or vice versa-it's a fiddle varying it back if you wish to.If you want a 264 say so.You can have some flexibility by just stating the caliber(the term used) eg 6.5 mm -which would enable you to purchase any 6.5(x55 or x47L etc,but not per se 264 ?) if you are not quite sure.Check on moderator procedure-they really came into widespread possession after the application forms were printed-your FLO will assist,bearing in mind not all moderators are caliber specific,at manufacture,for example "up to 308"

It is a little complex,but no more so than many other things,and your FLO should guide you quite painlessly if you are clear about what you wish to apply for and have good reason etc.

BASC are also very well informed-remember both organisations,and you,have to work within the law/guidlines.Be clear,informed,and polite but ask -you are right about some of the paperwork (moderators,spare barrels etc-but FLO will be aware of this,or will listen,at least.)

Gbal

I graduate University this summer and I'd like to get an FAC sorted out soon, but there seems to be a lot of conflicting information which is causing me some confusion, so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experiences with me?

Join one of the shooting organisations like BASC etc. phone their firearms advisers and they will advice, different areas seem to interpret the rules differently and they will also advice on this. I know basc will talk you through the form on the phone while you fill it out. All shooters need to be a member of at least one org. and a question is often asked about liability insurance by the FEO, these associations give it to members

Have a look a SACS as well they are cheaper to join and just as comitted to supporting the shooter in all forms

definatly have a talk with your FLO as interpretations vary from force to force

Ian

Archived