Who supplies Steel Targets in the UK.

Pegasus steel are probably the most competitive for cut Hardox 400/500, especially if plasma cut. They are certainly a lot cheaper than the other 15+ companies I asked a few weeks ago.

Hardox 500 10mm plate gives the best resistance to hits and a good sound.

From my testing this weekend, I found past 600 yards 16mm mild steel plate is fine for anything sub HME using non FMJ bullets. I will test with the bigger calibers in a couple of weeks time, but from previous tests it looks like 1,000yards min will be required on mild steel plate with .300mags etc.

A single Hardox 500 10mm 8'x4' sheet is around £600-£700+, so is really expensive for larger longer range targets - hence my interest in cheaper mild steel plate.

Hope this helps.

+1 for Pegasus. They laser cut the gongs for the quarry shoot at what I thought to be a reasonable price though I did get 20 of each size. They were happy to do the cad work for simple shapes too.

I decided 10mm hardox 400 was worth a go and it has proven itself with some of the gongs taking well over 1000 hits at less than 100yds. Admittedly they are starting to pit on the surface but reckon they will do a few more comps before needing to turn them around to shoot the back sides.

The trick to making them last at these distances is to hang them so they move freely when hit and more importantly, angle them to face downward at about 20°. This seems to spread the impact and deflects the shrapnel safely into the ground.

By far the most destructive rounds that we have hit the targets with during testing have been the lighter Vmax and Amax in .243. My assumption is that it is speed that is more destructive on steel than bullet mass. .308 target rounds barely make a mark. Not had the opportunity to shoot with hme cals but anticipate more problems from the fixings than the plate itself.

I reckon that 10mm hardox400 will last indefinitely (sub hme) beyond 150yds but worth paying the 25% extra for hardox500 for closer targets and the faster magnum calibres, if you want them to last indefinitely that is.

Rup

+1 for Pegasus. They laser cut the gongs for the quarry shoot at what I thought to be a reasonable price though I did get 20 of each size. They were happy to do the cad work for simple shapes too.

I decided 10mm hardox 400 was worth a go and it has proven itself with some of the gongs taking well over 1000 hits at less than 100yds. Admittedly they are starting to pit on the surface but reckon they will do a few more comps before needing to turn them around to shoot the back sides.

The trick to making them last at these distances is to hang them so they move freely when hit and more importantly, angle them to face downward at about 20°. This seems to spread the impact and deflects the shrapnel safely into the ground.

By far the most destructive rounds that we have hit the targets with during testing have been the lighter Vmax and Amax in .243. My assumption is that it is speed that is more destructive on steel than bullet mass. .308 target rounds barely make a mark. Not had the opportunity to shoot with hme cals but anticipate more problems from the fixings than the plate itself.

I reckon that 10mm hardox400 will last indefinitely (sub hme) beyond 150yds but worth paying the 25% extra for hardox500 for closer targets and the faster magnum calibres, if you want them to last indefinitely that is.

Rup

Very informative-is there an easy way-or a hard 500 way-to get gongs to hang freely,yet be at a 20 * angle down-maybe some chain behind so that they are tilted a bit from the bottom,but what does the other end of the chain affix too,that is relatively

out of the line of fire...?Probably a simple way,but I don't want to reinvent this wheel.....

Gbal

Funny you should mention wheels......2013-06-02123356.jpg

Funny you should mention wheels......2013-06-02123356.jpg

Thanks Rup-sometimes there is a (very) cryptic clue-

..an elegant practical solution,that obviously works.

Gbal

The tyres work really well, and I think they contribute to the gongs lasting so well, the tyres flex upon impact thus dispersing some of the energy. And the plus point, cheap too ;)

Pete

Good points ,Pete

I was thinking similarly,and also that the 'support frame' would not get shot to destruction by one loose round!

Perhaps a bit heavy,but Hey! they will roll easily enough!

Gbal

Archived