Nosler Ballistic Tip's.

Bazooka Joe

I'll be loading for my 243 soon, & I'm looking at the Noslers BT to shoot Roe Deer.

Has any member tried these bullets on Deer?

Since Roe is the only species on our permission, I'd be particularly interested in hands on info with these.

Note, I'll be using the BT's designed for Deer, not the Varmint one's.

Nos BT's

Thanks in Advance,

BJ.

At risk of causing the thread to descend into the usual argument involving those who've read about ballistic tips more frequently than they've used them, I've shot a lot of Muntjac and Roe with 70 grain ballistic tips from various 243's over a period of about 10 years, as well as a dozen or so Sika and the odd Fallow.

They do NOT perform like a varmint bullet- surface blow ups have never been experienced so far. Kills have been humane.

Meat damage has been just as I would expect from a heavier soft point bullet. In fact, the worse meat damage I've ever seen was from 130 grain ballistic tips from my .270, which is supposedly a deer bullet..

In fact, I was no fan of the 243 until I started to use this bullet in the calibre. I find it performs on deer as my 308 did with 150 grain SP's, and shoots so flat that it's a very useful foxing calibre for me as well. That said, I use a heavier calibre for Red deer on the hill, but with proper bullet placement, you'd have no problems with them whatsoever in general use.

I have used 150gr nosler BT in my 308 with very good results on red deer, they are a very good hunting bullet and should work very well on roe shot from a 243. It would be worth watching the meat damage however, especally if your pushing them fast, depending on what range your shoting your roe at a good quality lead nose will be all you need, with out having to pay the rediculous price of noslers!

Ive tired nosler B/Ts for the 1st time as the SSTs I use to use were unavailable for my new 25-06. and i tell you what, after putting 3 shots through the same hole at 80yds the rifle scoped in at 1" at 80yds that should see me flat to 250ydsih I cant complain but the icing on the cake was a high neck shot from the 25-06 actualy lifted the last Roe I shot of its feet with minimal bruising!

I shall be using 85 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips for Deer and Fox soon in a .25-06. The gamekeeper on the estate I shoot swears by them. He uses them for everything but Red Deer - and that is probably because there aren't any!

His carcasses are for re-sale so you can bet he would not use them if meat damage was a problem.

B

Thanks for all the feedback, appreciated. I've near enough made up my mind with the responses on UKV.

Would it be better to load for a lower grain bullet, say the 85g, being that the rifle has a 1-10 twist, or just compare different weights on a trial basis, seeing what suits the rifle the best?

Copied & Pasted our load Kaleiderscope, will keep it in mined,

Cheers,

BJ.

Thanks for all the feedback, appreciated. I've near enough made up my mind with the responses on UKV.

Would it be better to load for a lower grain bullet, say the 85g, being that the rifle has a 1-10 twist, or just compare different weights on a trial basis, seeing what suits the rifle the best?

Copied & Pasted our load Kaleiderscope, will keep it in mined,

Cheers,

BJ.

No worries mate, work up to that load in half grain increments. There are no nasty signs with that load but to be safe work it up.

Meet damage is variable dependant on wht the bullet hits on entry. I have had a small hole both sides with almost no bruising to fairly extensive bruising. on average they dont seam to be to bad.

My prefered load is fed gold primers and 42 grains of vit 160.

Dave

95 grain.

I have found when zeroed at 100 it only drops 2 inches at 200m

hi

went stalking this weekend for roe and muntjac. I had read the article on b-tip before i went so i had a load for the 6mmbr . the load was 80 grain b-tip and 31.5 grain of vv n135 it was shooting groups in the 0.2 and 0.3 so i was cofident with the load . i throught i would try a heart shot to see what damage it would do. i mostly do head or neck shots but i wanted a load that was good for varminting and deer so i thought i would give it a go. before my rifle was a br, it was a 243 for the last 12 years and when i went stalking i only used serria 85 hpbt gameking and had great success with them. i hope the pic i took this weekend helps make some people's mind up on what bullet to use.

IMG_0499.jpg

this is where the bullet entered

IMG_0501.jpg

this is the same side on entering the deer. there was no heart left at all

IMG_0502.jpg

this is the other side of the deer on exiting

IMG_0503.jpg

and the exit wound

john

• 1 month later...

In fact, the worse meat damage I've ever seen was from 130 grain ballistic tips from my .270, which is supposedly a deer bullet..

Amen to that.

Yep, had some spectacular blow-ups from 130BTs out of my .270.

Puts them down but lots of meat gone..

Chris , NZ

In fact, the worse meat damage I've ever seen was from 130 grain ballistic tips from my .270, which is supposedly a deer bullet..

Amen to that.

Yep, had some spectacular blow-ups from 130BTs out of my .270.

Puts them down but lots of meat gone..

Chris , NZ

Thats the problem with the 130g .270 BTs, especially if they are driven to fast. They need moderate velocity to keep them from blowing up.

Ive just finnished a chat with my mate who was also using noslers but in his 308, he has actually been using speer grand slam as he got a batch at a fantastic price and now wants to use nothing bar grand slam as the damage is minimal with them. Now the 2 of us agreed whislt the the noslers are really good they can cause major bruising just like the 95grn ssts I was using for the 243. Now if your selling the beasts then thats Ok but if they are for personal consumption are they worth the risk? The Doe I shot the other week was in a hell of a state but OK it wasnt the best placed shot I nicked her leg on entry and caught the other leg on the way out! I am however going to buy some more for my 25-06 on sat but intend to shoot slightly father back and not so close to the leg just to see what happens. Im not putting the bullet down as it shoots really great, Im just trying to put another constructive post on the thread. And BTW Ive also lost the front end of a Roe with a soft point.

Archived