Which Thermal imaging unit?

Ro6.5

Hi wondered if anyone can give me any advice. I am after a thermal imaging unit and can't fully make my mind up on whitch one. the Guide 518C from thomas jacks is in the running along with the flir ls-64 from starlight. I have 4-5k on a budget and would be grateful of any opinions or other suggestions. Thanks

Hi wondered if anyone can give me any advice. I am after a thermal imaging unit and can't fully make my mind up on whitch one. the Guide 518C from thomas jacks is in the running along with the flir ls-64 from starlight. I have 4-5k on a budget and would be grateful of any opinions or other suggestions. Thanks

I run a HD38 from Pulsar, as does Andy, Camo 304. Iam very happy with this unit it has taken spotting to a new level, and I would not go back to spotting with my Archer or PVS. The unit seems very reliable, I have dropped it out of the high seat twice, both times it hit the metal steps on the way down ! but there have been no ill effects. I did purchase the additional battery pack but have not used it as it comes with two units to put the AAs in. I have heard of people commenting on battery life. there is no issue to me, I have found that when I go out I will switch the unit on and leave it on, they last 2-3 hours then I have the spare in my pocket. I think the start up uses a fair bit of power. On the very slight down side I have to calibrate it vey often and the start up time is around 10 seconds, Iam sure if you want to pay 5-6K then you will be able to get a unit that starts up quicker and calibrates automatically. I have found that the weather ie temprature, can effect the picture, never the less you can spot wildlife instantly and over double the distance you can with a top end NV spotter.

I hope this helps.

Mike...

I had a look with a through one the other night a raytheon 2000 or something like that it was called.

brilliant bit of kit for spotting. Not the lightest of kit though

I have not looked through a raytheon, but I find the HD38 very very light, I use it on a lanyard and its just the right weight not to get in the way.

Ive been using the Guide 518C for few months now great piece of kit esp when you see foxes coming through the bushes to your call, i also use Gen 3 NV had a mate with pvs14 which as im sure you all know is a good spotter but even some foxes you cant spot unless you pick up eye shine or movement where as thermal white heat..mine has the colour options too but stick to white heat far better.

If you want to have a play with a Pulsar HD38 you are more than welcome to have a butchers at mine fella. As said above far better & quicker than using nv for spotting.

Ive been using the Guide 518C for few months now great piece of kit esp when you see foxes coming through the bushes to your call, i also use Gen 3 NV had a mate with pvs14 which as im sure you all know is a good spotter but even some foxes you cant spot unless you pick up eye shine or movement where as thermal white heat..mine has the colour options too but stick to white heat far better.

Thanks guys. what's the start up time and calibration like on the guide barrelsniffer? Have you compared it to anything els? And how far can you realistically spot a fox? do you find you have to focus it at different ranges? sorry for all the questions!I would like the best pice of kit for my money! So detector size, start up time, zoom ,refresh rate, and run time, are the issues I am really interested in? It must have a auxiliary output so I can run it to a monitor for security and fox ambush. it is going to be used in the vehicle 90% of the time so weight is not a issue. Every supplier I speak to claims his is the better product!! Thanks for your help!

Thanks guys. what's the start up time and calibration like on the guide barrelsniffer? Have you compared it to anything els? And how far can you realistically spot a fox? do you find you have to focus it at different ranges? sorry for all the questions!I would like the best pice of kit for my money! So detector size, start up time, zoom ,refresh rate, and run time, are the issues I am really interested in? It must have a auxiliary output so I can run it to a monitor for security and fox ambush. it is going to be used in the vehicle 90% of the time so weight is not a issue. Every supplier I speak to claims his is the better product!! Thanks for your help!

Start up time for the HD38 is about 8-10 seconds, calibration is required occasionally, it has external output and can be linked to Pulsar recorder/led screen, the additional battery pack gives 20 hours, I have compared mine to the FLR 518 and the image seems the same, i think andy Camo 304 has also viewed the Flr. Hope this helps, like Andy said worth having a look through one if you can.

Just looked at the speck on the pulsar hd38 and it looks good may fit the bill! Another one to demo got demonstrators coming from Thomas jacks and starlight so the proof will be in the pudding. Who would you speak to about demonstrating the pulsar?

How much is the ones you guys are using

The three I am interested in range from £3800 to £4800 (guide 518c, flir ls-64, and now the pulsar hd38)

The 518 C re-calibrates itself when needed also has 50hz refresh rate which gives real time imaging also 50mm lens also has x2 zoom can also record video using the SD card aswell as still pics ive spotted fox at 400+ yds anything further its just a blob but sometimes you can make out by the movement if fox or not,until it comes closer i set my focus for around 100yds which then gives me a focus range from 100+ so i dont really have to mess with the focus unless it comes closer,takes 10 secs to start up and fresh batts last around 2- 2 and half hrs,

Here is a link of some of the pics i took through mine a few months back clearly make out the dogs at 450ish yds.

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/17436-as-requested-by-wsm-few-pics-through-guide-518c-thermal/?do=findComment&comment=142186

I've tried the Pulsar and Guide side by side with the Guide coming out on top.

Was told to stay away from the Flir by some knowledgeable chap that is quite involved with them :o

Im hoping to see another piece of thermal kit very soon. One of the keepers has a helping hand off a local guy when he is free.

And this bit of kit is 30 grand so im told

and the size of a empty bog roll holder

Can't wait to have a butchers through this kit. Will try and find out info on model etc. Not that I could ever get something like that!

I've tried the Pulsar and Guide side by side with the Guide coming out on top.

Was told to stay away from the Flir by some knowledgeable chap that is quite involved with them :o

For what reasons did the guide come out on top?

Im hoping to see another piece of thermal kit very soon. One of the keepers has a helping hand off a local guy when he is free.

And this bit of kit is 30 grand so im told

and the size of a empty bog roll holder

Can't wait to have a butchers through this kit. Will try and find out info on model etc. Not that I could ever get something like that!

Sounds a bit out of my price range! But interested to no what it is.

For what reasons did the guide come out on top?

Sounds a bit out of my price range! But interested to no what it is.

Yes me to. The keeper has seen it and said its a superb bit of kit. And can't get over how light and compact it all is

Yes me to. The keeper has seen it and said its a superb bit of kit. And can't get over how light and compact it all is

Jamie you are welcome to come over the boarder to Wales to have a look at the HD38 is you wish, Iam only 20 mins from Hereford, you could bring the range finder I just bought from you and pocket the postage.

• 1 year later...

Archived