Tikka T3 - Just how good are they?

MadSpaniel

Hello all, long time lurker here from Devon that has just joined. :)

I have a couple of custom rifles (6BR, 6.5x47) and am looking to add a stalking rifle to my armory.

It will unfortunately have to be a factory rifle (The Mrs won't stand for another custom....) and I'm looking at the Tikka T3

in (probably/possibly) .30-06 caliber.

Does anyone have much experience of this caliber and Tikka T3 rifles?

My son and I have one each and accuracy is excellent.

Be aware they are fairly light so one in 30-06 would be "lively".

You occasionally see ones round here for sale second hand in .300WSM- "only fired 20 shots"

My dealer mate has had a few traded for lighter chamberings.. :lol:

Nice rifles, the plastic stocks are slightly better than other plastic stocks. Actions are very smooth and one action size has it's advantages.

The 223 1/8 I have never shot very well, barrel chopped and re-crowned and plenty ammo testing. She is hot and cold, just not consistent.

Shot many fox with her and even crows at over 400yds a few times. She misfires one in roughly every ten rounds. Maybe a Monday rifle?

I'll stick her in the corner for now until I come up with an idea.

Overall I'd get a remmy over a T3 although a remmy also needs a bit of work.

edi

Hi Edi,

sounds like a light striking firing pin giving inconsistency, have you tried a new firing pin spring?

ATB

Mike

I have heard that from a couple of people Chris. My thoughts were to go for stainless varmint, which should help to lessen the 'lively' recoil.

I always shoot with a sound mod also, so hopefully it won't loosen too many fillings..........

Thanks for all your help so far gents.

:lol: 100% agree with that.You'd be losing fillings.

I'd go for something inbetween 243 and .30 for 'pleasantness' in use. Think I'd plump for 6.5x55.

:lol: 100% agree with that.You'd be losing fillings.

I'd go for something inbetween 243 and .30 for 'pleasantness' in use. Think I'd plump for 6.5x55.

I had thought about 6.5x55 Brown Dog, but wasn't absolutey certain of it's pure 'knock down' capabilities when up against large Devon Reds.

All the guys I know down here swear by .30 cal of one type or another.

I had thought about 6.5x55 Brown Dog, but wasn't absolutey certain of it's pure 'knock down' capabilities when up against large Devon Reds.

All the guys I know down here swear by .30 cal of one type or another.

I have to admit to not being a fan of 30-06 or any of it's derivatives, disproportionate kick in comparison to performance. Eg I'm firmly of the view that .270 gained it's 'status' based on its brutal kick. In the days before chronos all people had to judge power was how much the rifle hurt; when in performance terms it's actually a pretty average round. 6.5x55 is plenty for reds - it's the round of choice for moose in most of Scandinavia. Every 6.5x55 I've seen has also been extremely accurate too.

I'd say kick is the least of your worries, dragging those reds will cause you more hurt!

Theres a 260 varmint on guntrader, that would do the job

I've recently bought a 6.5x55 stainless laminate T3, they are a cracking buy secondhand (cost just ver £500 with a new 3rd eye mod!).

It's off having a pic rail fitted, once it gets back your welcome to come up to Severn Side and give it a bash?

For British Deer the 6.5x55 imo is ideal and is a perfect balance between speed, energy and bullet weight/selection, Red won't be a problem at all.

Hi Edi,

sounds like a light striking firing pin giving inconsistency, have you tried a new firing pin spring?

ATB

Mike

Mike I think you are right, I took it all apart, cleaned and measured pin protrusion. All else seems ok.

I never fired a 30-06 or 308 from an original lite stock but have a 308 in our carbon ultra light T3 stock. Total rifle weight without scope

is only 6.6 lbs but recoil is very mild. We compared recoil behaviour side by side with our other stock shape using the same 175gr ammo

and noticed our older stock shape being more "snappy". Both stocks weigh about the same ~ 650 grams.

If one can't take the recoil of a 308 maybe even with a moderator .... then it's time to get a playstation

edi

One of my stalking buddies just got a new Hardy gen IV in 6.5 for his T3 LITE 6.5x55. It replaced the dreaded T8, it's half the weight and twice the recoil reduction. With 140gr SST's at 2650fps it recoils like a .243 and will put 3 rnds into an inch at 200yds. The T3 standard stock is a bit iffy but put it in one of Edi's Ultralites and you've got the results of a £3000 custom job for half the price. I speak from experience, I have 2 £3000 (excluding mod and optics) rigs and his rifle shoots as well as both of them :(

Mike

I have a couple of custom rifles (6BR, 6.5x47) and am looking to add a stalking rifle to my armory.

It will unfortunately have to be a factory rifle (The Mrs won't stand for another custom....) and I'm looking at the Tikka T3

I have used a T3 light with a mod on the end in 30-06, it was fine and put pretty much bullet on bullet at 100yds. Do I like Tikka? not really but they normally shoot and aint to bad a price. The further you look back at older Tikka rifles the better made they are IMO

Just when I thought I had my mind made up someone messes everything up by throwing 6.5mm into the pile. :)

I guess it's back to the drawing board and start to compare 6.5x55 ballistics etc.

I have a 6.5x55 that I use for all my stalking and would not change it at all for any other cal its very accurate and it will put down any deer when shot in the engine room, do yourself a favour and go for this cal you will not regret it ;)

BR Tony.

I own one in .243 (varmint barrel) very accurate out of the box with home and factory loads 58grn vmax and 70grn sierra HPBT.

Found the trigger a little too far back for my hands but for the money its an amazing rifle! Well for me at least!

Love my T3 just had ot rebarreled in 6.5x47 and its sweet as, however profile of the barrel is 30mm until it leaves the stock so having problems finding a light weight stock for it as at the moment its in a thumb hole laminate but really could do with it shedding a lb or two

Regards

Jimmy

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I have a Tikka T3 super varmint in .243 and i love it.

I use it for foxing and deer stalking, shooting off sticks or high seat. Its a factory rifle with only the trigger pull adjusted.

It shoots 1/2" consistantly with factory rounds.

I also target shoot with my .308 but my Tikka is my workhorse and never let me down. For an out of the box shooter, in my opinion it's one of the best with a brilliant build quality.

Best regards,

Hello,

I have a Tikka T3 super varmint in .243 and i love it.

I use it for foxing and deer stalking, shooting off sticks or high seat. Its a factory rifle with only the trigger pull adjusted.

It shoots 1/2" consistantly with factory rounds.

I also target shoot with my .308 but my Tikka is my workhorse and never let me down. For an out of the box shooter, in my opinion it's one of the best with a brilliant build quality.

Best regards,

Most reviews agree-bearing in mind the current TIkka is not as expensive as some,for example the Sako,which in previous times was at least as highly regarded,and probably still is,but just costs quite a bit more.

Most factory rifles are at least adequate-you may have some individual requirement eg aversion to plastic,really lightweight etc etc,,prefer a detachable box magazine.You may have to compromise a bit.Tikka certainly should be in the mix.

Calibre rather depends on usage.3006 might be towards the heavy end for UK.Better that than undergunned There is no need whatever for a custom rifle for stalking,unless you have some very good reason,which means there is no 'factory' rifle suitable.Spending another 2 or 3 thousand pounds will not generally result in a rifle with proportionally superior stalking efficiency.

It is extremely unlikely that any lack of success will be the fault of a Tikka T3.

Gbal.

Archived