10/22 custom build -- recommendations?

packrat

I was thinking about ordering a 10/22 VLEH but reckon I could have something similar built for not much more that would easily out-shoot it.

So I am after recommendations for someone I can give a list of requirements and some dosh, and get back a finished rifle.

By PM would be preferred if etiquette is not to post such things in the open, or by email to bruce at bdge dot co dot uk would be fine too.

Thanks!

love my tactical solutions x-ring though not strictly a 10/22 its the same footprint ad trigger

Only two real places to go.

SYSS - I have one of their Rimfire Magic 10/22s and its great. Roger and Sheila offer a great service.

Rude Fat Dog - No personal experience but a good selection of parts.

Advice, phone both, discuss spec, get a price and make a choice. You won't be disappointed with either.

+1 for having something custom/semi custom. I'm a proponent of getting a bog stock, cheap as chips 10/22 and putting on what you need for whatever you're shooting.

How about some pictures of your KIDD pwinnall? Will you be at the Phoenix this year?

Thanks peeps.

I seem to have had a slight shopping accident and ordered a Rimfire Magic receiver, Green Mountain fluted barrel and Hogue stock, from the excellent SYSS. Pictures soon as I have it in my hot sweaty palms :)

Thanks peeps.

I seem to have had a slight shopping accident and ordered a Rimfire Magic receiver, Green Mountain fluted barrel and Hogue stock, from the excellent SYSS. Pictures soon as I have it in my hot sweaty palms :)

I used to test barrels for Green Mountain and never had an inaccurate one cross my path. I have three M-77/22 or M-77/17M with GM barrels, three M-96 Rugers with GM barrels, and a "test mule" 10/22 reciever with a GM 1-18" twist currently in place. It is a real screamer for accuracy. You'll be happy.~Andrew

Hi, Yes I,m going to the phoenix. I got my Kidd from Gwyn Roberts of black diamond custom. I used to shoot an MOA action but it is heavy. VQ I think still only use their own bolts so not easy for spares. The best action so far is the Tony Kidd. I try and post some picture but have a look at his web site "coolguyguns". I got the one with the barrel screw cut into the receiver. I'll post some picture later :-)

Hi, Yes I,m going to the phoenix. I got my Kidd from Gwyn Roberts of black diamond custom. I used to shoot an MOA action but it is heavy. VQ I think still only use their own bolts so not easy for spares. The best action so far is the Tony Kidd. I try and post some picture but have a look at his web site "coolguyguns". I got the one with the barrel screw cut into the receiver. I'll post some picture later :-)

I have to agree. I have had a few 10/22s and a couple of years ago treated myself to a SYSS tricked one and I have to say, the improvement over the original was marginal at best. It had the original receiver but that was it. I still spent more time clearing it than shooting it. I know this is not usually the case with the SYSS ones, but it was in mine. Luckily the guy who sold it to me was a gent and gave me my money back. Two years ago I had a Rude Fat Dog SLR built. Admitedly, the only Ruger part was the stock screw, but this gun is absolutely amazing. It shoots anything from Tenex to Minimags and sometimes you get a stove pipe on the first or second shot, but after that it will empty magazines without a hitch. The accuracy is easily as good as my Anschutz bolt action and the 2 stage trigger is simply superb. I would say that a 2 stage trigger is pretty pointless on a semi though.

The only down side is the price. It was the thick end of £1500 and for a fun gun (in my case) it is a bit steep. If I were competing though, I would not look at anything else.

The gun is pretty much all Kidd parts.

post-10598-0-94062100-1367046928_thumb.jpg

post-10598-0-31921200-1367046945_thumb.jpg

post-10598-0-94057400-1367046956_thumb.jpg

> It had the original receiver but that was it.

The one they are building for me uses their own receiver which should be better than the Ruger and doesn't break the bank -- the Kidd stuff does look fantastic but this is a fun rifle (unless you're a rabbit) and the Kidd would be overkill for me.

> It had the original receiver but that was it.

The one they are building for me uses their own receiver which should be better than the Ruger and doesn't break the bank -- the Kidd stuff does look fantastic but this is a fun rifle (unless you're a rabbit) and the Kidd would be overkill for me.

I have a SYSS one with their s/steel receiver, green mountain barrel and am very pleased with it. No jams other than magazine problems and none of those since I changed the way I clean them

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Got some pics of my Tony Kidd supergrade. Just got it bedded and fitted the rear block and screw into the stock.

Hopefully I can try it at the Phoenix next weekend.

Hi, Got some pics of my Tony Kidd supergrade. Just got it bedded and fitted the rear block and screw into the stock.

Hopefully I can try it at the Phoenix next weekend.

That looks the nuts!

I'll post some of my new Rimfire Magic soon as I get a chance.

Ok here's what I ended up with!

• Rimfire Magic receiver
  • Rimfire Magic tuned Ruger trigger
  • Hogue overmolded olive stock
  • Hawke Eclipse 30 4-16x50
  • Green Mountain 16" fluted blued barrel
  • SAK moderator
  • Harris bipod

rm22-01_e01.jpg

rm22-05_e01.jpg

rm22-04_e01.jpg

rm22-02_e01.jpg

• 6 months later...

Hello

Just dug up this thread, as I am going through a similar thought process.

Are you still happy with your RimfireMagic Packrat? Is there anything you wish you had done differently? Lighter barrel, different stock etc etc...

I'm contemplating Volquartsen barrel and Boyd's stock.

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Sorry for the small hi jack, but this might interest someone reading this thread.

Strange as it might seem but I have a VQ being sold by a local RFD. New NV toys have negated my need for an accurate rapid fire 22.

From memory it has the 16 inch carbon barrel with moderator, VQ receiver, bolt hold open mod plus VQ trigger and a Hogue rubberised stock. It loves RWS R50...the rabbits don't.

I think he has it on the shelf for £490

ATB

Hello

Just dug up this thread, as I am going through a similar thought process.

Are you still happy with your RimfireMagic Packrat? Is there anything you wish you had done differently? Lighter barrel, different stock etc etc...

I'm contemplating Volquartsen barrel and Boyd's stock.

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Hi lightning, no I love it, it's pretty much perfect for me. Tad on the weighty side if you have to lug it about all day maybe, but I don't.

What I don't like is lack of last round hold open but that's a universal 10/22 thing I think.

Good luck.

Hi lightning, no I love it, it's pretty much perfect for me. Tad on the weighty side if you have to lug it about all day maybe, but I don't.

What I don't like is lack of last round hold open but that's a universal 10/22 thing I think.

Good luck.

Thanks Packrat. I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get it ordered :-)

Archived