Zeiss HD5 5-25 x 50

jungle_re

Finally got hold of this, what a palaver! 16 day wait turned into 4 months.

I'll put up some pics soon.

First impression is good. Fairly compact, glass is good (i'd say comparable to a swaro Hab i had), turrets are really nice to operate reassuring positive audible clicks, easy to read and low profile. The parallax is smooth as a marmite covered frog the zoom ring is really stiff (hopefully will work itself looser). Not the lightest and the zero stop limits the design slightly though its has enough flexibility to use on the .22br to it full potential.

Also a shame you have to choose between a fancy ret or adjustable turrets, id have liked one of the fancy ones but not over the turrets. The plex ret is average thickness with the centre quite fine. Do the business fine with hunting and under the lamp judgement out on target shooting but can't see why it won't be fine, would prefer something thinner along the length but as a compromise this should work fine (thinner would limit night use). For the price these go for including import the glass is better than anything else i've looked through, you have to step up in cost quite considerably to beat it.

For:

Cost

Glass

Turrets

Aesthetics

Compact

5x zoom range

Against/limitations:

Zero stop design

choice between turrets or fancy ret

Weight (being really picky with this one)

Import only

I have had one of these for about 3 weeks now, ordered it from the States, turned up in 3 days with no import duties either :).

I agree the glass is excellent and I don't think it can be bettered for the price. I also agree that the zoom ring is far too stiff.

I have no problem with the turret design, better than the old Conquest and since I am not planning on dialing in I'm not really bothered. I don't see the problem with the zero stop either, you can set it to stop where you like.

Mine has the Rapid Z Varmint ret which I have had in other scopes and rate very highly for use on fast flat calibres.

All round quite impressed so far. :)

Just over £700 all in

The target turrets were a must for me so lost out on the ret you have as you have no option with the turrets (i suppose they have to still get the higher models sold). The zero stop only allows you one revolution of the turret, plenty for the effective range of the .22br and will take the 7-08 to around 800m (isn). For the price and quality of the glass they are minor really, in considering buying another and a sightron for the 7-08 as swappable scopes as a alternative to a K624I and still save £400, but i'll wait and see how I like it in the field first.

of course your right :lol: I'd forgotten about the 1000 yrd ret as I dismissed it for being too busy for my main field gun (originally bought this for the 7-08).

what do you have it mounted on Anthony?

of course your right :lol: I'd forgotten about the 1000 yrd ret as I dismissed it for being too busy for my main field gun (originally bought this for the 7-08).

what do you have it mounted on Anthony?

Hi Will,Anthony

I quite like the 1000 reticule,as I ' d rather have a few more reference points than too few and 100 yards down to 500 yards absolute on zero with cross hairs then more down to around 1000 is just what I like. Obviously the hatches don't work out exactly at level hundreds,but neither do my targets! I have to have turrets too!

How does this new scope compare to the older 5x20.

I don't look through many scopes that are seriously deficient in clarity-8x25 Leupolds do me fine,or any of the high mag NF ones which do give very long range advantages.Maybe I'm missing something in the expensive Germanic makes,but I don' t need the last few seconds of light,and when I did It wasn't from a 25x variable.

Gbal

Just to clarify my scope has the Rapid Z Varmint reticle and target turrets not the Rapid Z 1000 reticle

I really rated the old 5-20, I have just sold my old one on here and as long as you didn't want an illuminated reticle or masses of adjustment then I don't think they could be beaten for the price. I just wanted a bit more mag at the top end and less on the bottom end to use with an NV add-on so the new one fitted me perfectly and it only cost me about £225 to upgrade from the old model so not too dear either.

The Zeiss is currently on my HMR as I wanted to try it out but it's main use will be on my 20 Tac when the NV scope is not fitted as it is currently.

I paid £783 delivered from a company called 4Scopes.com who were very good and I have also just bought a Leupold VX-6 from a comany called Webyshops who were very efficent as well.

I got mine from johnnysals bag of old balls, but at least it came in the end. Nearly 4 month delay no tracking number lot of failed to reply to emails.

Seems like a nice enough guy but not great service 4 out 10.

nope 1" you get alot of movement for a 1"er though obviously negated if you use the z stop to 18"@100

specs are here http://sportsoptics.zeiss.com/hunting/en_us/riflescopes/conquest/conquest-hd5.html#inpagetabs-3

nice review, thanks, i have the 4.5-14x50 and the 6.5-20x50 of the older model and as mentioned i dont think you can beat them for value, there is a write up on SD comparing the old and new next to each other( new one is a little shorter i believe). For the price of importing the new one it certainly makes it a viable alternative to theolder version, which on the other hand makes the older ones ive seen advertised for £500 superb value

cheers

craig

For the money,,,these scopes with a "name" tag seem superb value for money,,,,,,I,m sort of tied to Nightforce for all my needs but am tempted to get one just to see "clearly"???,,,,,as my eyes are getting older ,,glass quality and a fast focus ocular is becoming important to me,,,these scopes provide for this and some,,mmmmmm perhaps we,ll see ,,,,Onehole.

Looks very good, carn't fault the older version I use make for a superb little varminting setup on the .223

The new ones seem to have a more useful magnification range, shame they don't come with illuminated reticule.

The turrets also look better been more compact.

• 5 weeks later...

any more updates on these scopes lads very interested in one. I am not liking the lack of warranty though if it ever go's tits up.

i spoke to a guy in the usa who's company will stand buy any warranty problems. only down side is postage back to the usa. then from there it go's to germany

then back to usa before coming back here.

mad really you would think zeiss in germany would let you send it to them. i know zeiss uk wouldn't help out if it went tits up

not got anything to put it on yet, mcmillian have delayed the stocks. Should hopefully have it on a 6.5x55 by mid June dependant on variation.

I dont want to waste it on the rimfire which i'm also shooting well with at the moment so don't want to change the scope till at least all the summer league cards are shot.

Will update once it gets some field and range time

• 5 months later...

Bought a couple over several months ago. This is mine on a Alan D Wey tricked up Annie .17HMR:

IMG_5160.jpg

Can't really fault it.

I prefer the plex as if I need to I'll dial the rest. One of the best plex's out there for the field as it gives a fast sight picture. Sure my Zeiss Victories are better but heavier too. Better than the Bushnel 6500 by quite a margin. Parallax is only down to 50m but for me thats not an issue. For the $$$ it floats by boat. The locking turrets are a real winner and what I'd been waiting for. Glass pretty fantastic and as a whole package I couldn't be happier. For rifles where you don't want to mount a brick they are slick.

• 1 year later...

Just thought id bump this as was looking for pictures on this perticular scope on the net and f@@k me its from ukv :D . I bought one its on the way just wanted a perv at one . Someone mentioned warranty , well i bought thru gunshop in London so presuming IF i had an issue my sale / contract is with them . Id send to them / they send to Germany , maybe ... Taa

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived