PM

Devil_bri

is the rifle factory threaded? has the crown been damaged? did you take action out of the stock? did you do anything other than remove refit scope? have you checked barrel channel is clear?

just thinking out loud if you know what I mean sometimes problems are not with the thing we think they are.

Take the scope out of the mounts place it in v blocks ( a shoe box with two "v" cuts out of it will also do for purpose.) Return scope to optical centre ie. dial the reticule to centre both ways so when rotated against a stationary aim point the aim point does not move. If the scope returns to centre that's one thing off the list at least, if it don't then you have your issue.

However 5 ft at 100 yards is a massive amount out and I cannot see it being the scope unless the whole tube is no longer straight, I doubt its the mounts but it could be alignment of the action and barrel, a major flaw in the threading or moderator, unlikely but slightly possibly a stock to action issue ( though again 5ft is way over what one might expect). As has been said one thing at a time, once your away from the simple stuff within your own capabilities give it to a good rifle smith

Are you using the same ammo as before?

Is the Ammo factory or reloads?

Have you tried taking the bolt out and bore sighting it off of sandbags and bringing the reticle to the same Point OF Aim?

Have you dropped or knocked over the rifle? As someone else mentioned causing the action/ barrel to not be aligned, are all the action screws tight?

Is anything touching the barrel causing

As said before one thing at a time, I hope you get it sorted it must be very frustrating, especially as its all top notch kit, it may be that its several errors/problems at the same time, but even still 5ft is alot at 100m/y.

Atb Matt

I believe the AI/AW inclined ringmounts are 25moa, that is 25" plus a bit @100m.

To solve your problem, Im guessing turn the ringmount around. This will move your poi 50" the other way. There's your four and a half feet!

Do you have a photo of the rifle before you pulled it apart? That would confirm which way round the ringmount was.

Rup

Would taking the tactical muzzle brake and Brugger thommet moderator off cause the problem, as it was quite heavy and added an extra 12 inches to the end of the barrel

The sl5 is now on the end which is a lot lighter and quite a bit shorter ??????

If all you did was take off and on the scope then, all else being unchanged, that's where the problem lies. If the bullets were clipping the mod your groups would also be up the left, not just moved. If you're rifles right handed the three screws on the base of the mount should be on the same side as the bolt.

Mike

Thanks mike

Yes it is right handed

I spoke to Graeme at sporting services and he said the screws should be on the opposite side of the bolt

I don' t know which way is correct way round,but reading Oaken,reversing seems to fit.and there seems some difference of opinion about which side the screws should be.Are you quite sure your drawings before,and mounts now are the same - for your problem,it doesn't matter yet which the right way is,and neither do the torque setting really though very sensible to have noted them.as everyone says,the size of the discrepancy is just too big to be something minor.But oakens 25 plus 25 inches seems to fit -esp as the side the screws should be on seems uncertain,before and after.Is reversing the mount too much hassle?Right-wrong and wrong- right would give the same 50 inch discrepancy.

Just how the evidence pans out to me-just possibly your notes are wrong- not a criticism but we can't really assume anything here with such a big shift.The question is what is different,not per se what is right,to solve he discrepancy issue.Good luck! It might be one for Sherlock Holmes.

Gal

Sorry for putting you wrong Devil, Graeme would know better than me re what side the screws are, but take it from me, you could hang a 56lb weight off the muzzle and it wouldn't move the poi 5ft at 100 yds. From a really heavy mod to a really light one the biggest shift I've ever seen was 6", and that's on a sporter weight barrel. Hope you get sorted,

Mike

do you have a bore sighter collimiter or some way to hold the rifle so it can't move at all. to be sure which way round the mount should be. remove tops of the mount. take note of where crosshairs are or put a mark line up on a fence window ledge

without moving the rifle take off and turn the mount round then see if the crosshairs are higher or lower.

if its higher the mount is now backwards.

Thanks gun nut

I'm trying to rule out everything

A few guys in my club are sure it's a scope fault and I should send it back to S&B

It's hard to see what you could have done to a fairly robust scope just by taking it off to check mount screws,though,and on such a scale.presumably there was no internal scope cleaning/adjusting/ malarky.Do no harm to ask S&B,of course,but I would not return it quite yet.

Gbal

The scope clamp screws must be tightened from the LEFT. Dont waste your time turing it round.

Slacken the scope rail screws off and inspect the underneath. Make sure there is no crap in there. It sounds to me like you have the crossbolt in the mount riding up in the rifles rail slots slightly. Put the scope back on and run up the screws finger tight. Push the scope and mount backwards and forwards in the slot and make sure its bottomed. Then push the scope as far forward as it will go and tighten the screws whilst pressing down on the scope. This will ensure the mount is sat correctly.

If you haven,t had the scope out of the rings themselves, its unlikely to be a scope fault.

Thanks gun nut

I'm trying to rule out everything

A few guys in my club are sure it's a scope fault and I should send it back to S&B

If you have done the test then it proves everything is moving correctly, unless the scope tube has been very badly bent the fault is elsewhere. 5 ft at 100 yds suggests this more than strongly, scopes don't not even allow you that sort of adjustment range. A minute is only 1 /60 of a single degree, I am not familiar with the mount but it seems Dave is and a screw lifting the mount or other major mount error could sure get you there

Just scanning this.

Your scope mount was on backwards originally; and you now have it on the right way round.

You mention a 5ft shift of your POI upwards. Work out 2 x your mount's incline angle - the numbers are right for that size of error:

eg 30 MOA mount backwards points scope high. Reverse mount, scope is now point 2 x 30MOA = 60MOA lower. A scope pointing 60MOA lower means you are pointing your muzzle 60MOA higher. Which givesyou your 5ft 'up' error on the target.

You must have slipped the turret to zero originally. You now need to slip the turret again.

Archived