triggersqueezer

i went out to do a spot of zero checking the 17 hornet and target practice with my fac air today.all went well and after 30 mins max i walked back to the car with a pal i have up for the weekend and went home to cook a nice brunch.after brunch i went up for a quick cat nap (not with my friend) the phone kept ringing but i run a buisness and that is not abnormal.woke up and checked my phone 15 missed calls.

i checked voice mail and it was the farmer and the police,can i call them.when i did i was asked had i been out shooting,yes i said.

i then got did you call it in ,do you realise we have had 8 police offecers on this for 2 hours.(made to feel bad for wasting police time big time)who was the chap with me?(i refused to tell them as he is not a shooter and is just up for the weekend to visit me.i'm not anti police but why ask who my friend was if it was established i had permission.

there is some sort of car repair place 4-500 yds away the other side of the river and no houses so the call came from the car place.i explained i used that field as it has a superb back stop and if there was a problem let me know and i'll go and have a word to sort it out but the police would not tell me who what or why there were concerns just right now we can add that info to the file and close it.and can i call it in in future.

how many of you call it in when you go out?

i'm in and out like a yo yo when developing a load.and i do hope this won't go on my firearm record as spooking the public whilst shooting as all my permissions could potentialy have me seen and heard.

your thoughts please gents

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always call in to Landowner or Farmer etc and I try to do this way before going out say in the morning before I go out in the evening or even the day before a planned shoot to make sure they get the message .Apart from being curteous the Landowner/Farmer may be aware there are others shooting on some of my permissions and would not want to cause a potentially dangerous situation.In addition to that I would call in at the farmhouse just to say hello most occasions but not always and on one place I call in at a homeowner that lives at the edge of my shoot again just being curteous. Basically I do my level best to let someone know its me on the land but have never telephoned the police and not had a problem ,,,ever.

I think my shooting has never raised alarm because most of my permission is well away from "Jo Public" and some shooting is pretty well expected in my neck of the woods,,,way of life,,,cheers Onehole.

i have two permissions where i phone in, because one has a footpath too one side and the other, people just trespass all the time, it takes two mins too call it in plus i take my permission slip and licence with me, i give as much info as i can including who is with me and car reg, it all helps....

tony

It's always worth a quick call as who knows what the old bill would have been told and they would have to take it literally until proved otherwise.

The last thing you want is for some cheesed off AFO to be looking down his scope at you.

I tell the landowner on some of my permissions but not on others. I never call the police. If your reg number is given to police a PNC check soon tells them who you are. I had this conversation with a couple of ARU police who came to check on who was lamping. When I asked what they thought the answer was not much point as they were unlikely to get the info anyway. And even if they did they'd still respond the same way.

If you think the caller is being malicious then I would call them as if they persisted they could be charged for wasting police time

i give the gamekeeper a bell to tell him i will be there at ?oclock to zero

but never tell the old bill

i do some lamping behind a animal testing place and there always getting travelers lamping hare there and the police get called all the time

so i do inform the security there that ime out and give my name and vehicle reg and again when i leave ,so they now ime off the ground just incase

I have permission on a specific farm in Essex where I always leave my car in the farm yard, call the gamekeeper and phone Essex police for an incident number before shooting having had idiot dog walkers walk through the pig farm at dusk On that occasion I called the police who turned up and read the riot act to the dog owner for trespass.and give abuse and create hell on two occasions.

It's a policy that keeps me covered.

I would not want to be on the receiving end.

On my three other permissions, I always call in to the land owner to check who is around and about - one one occasion a group of kids were camping in a copse my farmer was not aware of and seven sets of red eyes peering back at me as I was lamping did not belong to foxy. I don't know who was most spooked, me or the kids.

I do know that by knowing my permissions, and (in my opinion) taking responsibility for letting all parties know I am shooting (police or not) I have honoured the trust my land owners have shown in giving me permission to shoot - and on one occasion prevent the theft of equipment by virtue of being out lamping at night.

do you know i was sat here eating my tea when it dawned on me that when i first spoke to the rozers they said they had my description car reg and the fact that i was target shooting from the person who called it in yet they still sent the chopper up???????my reg tels them i have a licence and i was target shooting .not acting suspiciously??????

Listen, if I am in a urban environment I should consider calling it in. No way should we accept criticism for not doing out of course. I have actually never phoned as I do not shoot urban environments. if the cops haven't the common sense to work it out for themselves when someone is out shooting tough! do I phone and say I am going salmon fishing and I have a licence? No! This is an anti strategy to interrupt us, if the coppers want to pander to it then its their problem. If they really want phone calls I am sure the shooting community can block their lines up with useless BS at all times of day and night- time to get real!

do you know i was sat here eating my tea when it dawned on me that when i first spoke to the rozers they said they had my description car reg and the fact that i was target shooting from the person who called it in yet they still sent the chopper up???????my reg tels them i have a licence and i was target shooting .not acting suspiciously??????

Thing is you don't know what was said in the phone call. They have to risk assess sometimes they go overboard big style. sometimes they get the balance right.

just hope they don't fancy doing an exercise when it's you someone calls about some bloke in camo in that field waving a gun about

Listen, if I am in a urban environment I should consider calling it in. No way should we accept criticism for not doing out of course. I have actually never phoned as I do not shoot urban environments. if the cops haven't the common sense to work it out for themselves when someone is out shooting tough! do I phone and say I am going salmon fishing and I have a licence? No! This is an anti strategy to interrupt us, if the coppers want to pander to it then its their problem. If they really want phone calls I am sure the shooting community can block their lines up with useless BS at all times of day and night- time to get real!
Hmmm-I'm not sure salmon fishing is potential risk to human welfare.Shooting is.I can't see how the police can "work it out for themselves" either,and maybe we should bear in mind instances where FAC holders have acted very badly.

I imagine the police do not want such instances,but are duty bound to investigate them all.If they have reliable information,eg from a legal shooter,that might help everyone to respond reasonably,but without it ask what would you do as the police officer

with whom the buck stops.I do hope you are just wrong in your assessment of the shooting community' s ability and motivation to obstruct the police.That is a serious offence unlikely to foster this common sense you want deployed,let alone cause mayhem for regular police work in the community-much of which we all benefit from surely?

Gbal

Thing is you don't know what was said in the phone call. They have to risk assess sometimes they go overboard big style. sometimes they get the balance right.

just hope they don't fancy doing an exercise when it's you someone calls about some bloke in camo in that field waving a gun about

Agreed,risk assessment is the issue,and precedents are not that great for some recent "legit FAC" holders- yes that needs looked at too,but the duty officer has to make a decision,and to get it wrong could be disastrous.To investigate is more likely to be merely inconvenient,including to the legitimate shooter.Who might also wish some action if non permission rifles are wandering around.

Gbal

now we can add that info to the file and close it.and can i call it in in future.

Isn't that the important bit? Basically they're anticipating that there may be similar problems whenever you're shooting that field and have asked you to let them know so that they can respond to further calls with "yes, we're aware of someone shooting and there's no need for concern. Thank you for your public spirited call".

BTW chaps, far better replies on this forum than some on other forums. :D

Isn't that the important bit? Basically they're anticipating that there may be similar problems whenever you're shooting that field and have asked you to let them know so that they can respond to further calls with "yes, we're aware of someone shooting and there's no need for concern. Thank you for your public spirited call".

BTW chaps, far better replies on this forum than some on other forums. :D

im very public spirited pal but i enjoy just taking off on a whim and shoot many different areas.if i called each time i go that a couple of hundred times a year maybe..each time i would have to decide where i'm shooting before i go.i would rather have the right to roam on any land i have permission.

the reason i started asking on forums is if i feel i'm a minority perhaps i need to change my thinking.

I don't think Kent is implying that we waste police time, but that if we all rang on going and coming back from every shooting trip we would be tying up resources better used elsewhere. Which would be a waste of their time.

There are times places where it would be stupid not to call in pigeon control in a shopping center for instance. But that is no guarantee you're not going to get full on ARU response.

Think about how many shooting trips there are a year then start adding up the time involved to call record details etc. then do it all again when you finnish is it really the best use of police time.

im very public spirited pal but i enjoy just taking off on a whim and shoot many different areas.if i called each time i go that a couple of hundred times a year maybe..each time i would have to decide where i'm shooting before i go.i would rather have the right to roam on any land i have permission.

the reason i started asking on forums is if i feel i'm a minority perhaps i need to change my thinking.

Not on about you being public spirited, I'm on about the call handlers response to the call about someone with guns. You'd still have the right to roam. You don't have to stick to the exact place you tell them about. You'll have a log number that can be checked and, like me, you just say I was ther but I'm here now.

The whole subject is emotive (as you're finding out) and wholly a matter of choice. I don't think you're in the minority at all if considering this subject on forums over the years and I can see peoples point. BUT maybe some peoples reasons might be a bit suspect, even seeing conspiracies by people that are, when all's said and done, only doing their job. Wouldn't you appreciate it if someone could make your job a wee bit easier?

It's shouldn't be a case of I don't have to and I'm never going to so they can bugger off, more a case of isn't it common courtesy to let the police know that firearms will be in use in their area if there's a chance that it might be brought to their attention by a third party. AND, if you are stopped you'll be back doing what you want to be doing far quicker if you can quote a log number to the officer.

Personally I do and I don't. If I'm well out of the way I won't, if it's likely I'll come across other people then I will and if I know that shooting on a particular bit of land (however within my rights I am), I'll call it in and point out that they're likely to get a complaint.

That's a sensible balanced view Dave.The legally minded use a useful phrase "the prudent man" ,which is essentiall enlightened self interest.If you have taken reasonable precautions,or here care in informing those who may need to know you have been sensible,though generally there is no Legal compulsion,unless your permission requires that.But it shows cooperation and awareness of others,so bad thing here.And you are much less likely to be inconvenienced,or worse.Rights generally bring responsibilities,and taking reasonable care with the latter will go a long way to maintaining the forme.A cavalier,or worse selfish,defensive attitude,won't help you.Has to be worth a phone call,and definitely in places where others might be expected to see you- or your car etc.My dad gave me sensible advice,when going fishing often in relatively remote areas,if he knows roughly where I went,he will know where to begin searches if I have broken an ankle etc.Seemed sensible advice forf almost any solitary activity in the great outdoors,including shooting,especially these days.

Enlightened self interest,that may help others.Sounds a win/win to me.

Gbal

Ronny,

Their based near the gliding club?. I shoot very near to them, and if the wind is favourable can hear them keeping the engine warm, for immediate take off. I see them most times I am out, going out and coming back and have often thought when will they stop for a look, but they never have allthough I am out in the open. Have you ever had a C130 transporter go over you when they are on a low fly training mission, following the Welland valley (I think). I honestly thought it was going to crash.

i

same here,one has the right to know the other doesn't

atb paul

plus 3 that ...

plus 3 that ...

Gunner,and Paul, have a look at the rights police have.better make sure you are squeaky clean,if you really do take a no cooperation attitude.

It seems quite clear that others easily manage a more positive relationship with the police,and that that generall works in their,the shooters interest.

Police have the right and duty to investigate,and your shooting may be interrupted or worse.The law abiding have little to fear from a general police awareness of their activities,and much to gain,when you need it. "Name rank and number" was designed to minimise enemy intelligence,not to alienate neutrals,let alone those who largely protect our rights,so perhaps we should cooperate,in line with our responsibities.

In a nutshell,

Either one is part of the solution or part of the problem when relationships between legitimate shooters and legitimate authorities are involved.

Gbal

In no way is putting loads of phone calls in obstructing police ! Its not Obstuction either not to phone in! Obstruction is a totally different thing that should never have come into this thread.

Has anyone any idea how many people shoot and how regulary shooting occurs in the rural uk? We seriously don't want this coming in as non legislation law via the back door- likewise neither do the police or some serious funding and manpower issues will occur.

There are some locations I just would not use a firearm even if it was legal. Adjacent to a nuclear power plant being a prime example but also things like by the side of a motorway intersection. In other areas like a feral cull on an industrial urban site is perhaps were such a call would be justified, likewise a sports ground etc

One of my wildfowling clubs has just experienced a spate of malicious calls to the police and coastguards. It is very strongly suspected that this is an official anti policy, the same as the now quite well known one of reporting a known FAC holder for non existent drink and domestic issues etc. ( don't underestimate this one it happened to a friend and he has a good home life and drinks very little)! The situation with the club was headed off quite quickly by mentioning to the authorities that we have 250 members, most of whom will only decide to go out for sure a few hours before hand and ten flights being the average per season that's 2500 calls pa. I seriously don't think when this request to call in a legal activity is our issue, what next an inquest were some fool copper with his finger inside the trigger guard shoots someone and it becomes the sportsman's fault for not phoning it in? IMO no its a training issue at the authorities end.

The spin off as far as good practice is concerned from this I feel is, consider what you wear and what you look like and were you are. Even in the fairly remote rural location I am based and shoot I wouldn't allow a friend to bring his AR up ( though he is welcome to come up with his sporting rifle in the same cal) and I know a growing band of stalkers who wont wear camo in areas with public access

The cops don't need to turn up in an expensive to run chopper with an ARV unit, quite simply searching the registration number of a car and referencing it back to the owner or phoning the landowner to check will sort the matter. The only snag with this one is if you live in a rural location through centralisation they probably need a chopper to find your location after the closure of your rural station / village copper! A call to the local man on the ground would have sorted it in an instant ( now all we get is stickers on notice boards telling the crooks " police are active in this area" which of course tells the crooks they are not :( )

Archived