Looking for advice NF/Zeiss/Kahles??

camo304

Looking at getting a scope for the .204 going out to max of 400 yards, think i have it down to three scopes NSX 5.5x22x56, Kahles 624i , Zeiss Victory Diavari 6-24x56 T* IR just looking at the pros and cons. Must have good turrets and glass, like the idea of the NF as turrets are moa compared to metric don't know if i could get my head round it, so what do you guys think??.

Hi Camo,

I've got a Zeiss 3-12 Varipoint on my .204, zeroed at 200 yards. I used it at the Mendip Quarry shoot out to 330 yards and could have benefited from more magnification and ballistic/tactical type turrets. Feedback from my customers and chat at Bisley indicates that more and more people are moving to front focal plane and metric adjustments. 1cm/.1 milrad or .05 milrad for long range.

Either of your listed choices would work, it just depends on your personal preferences for click values, reticle, 1st or 2nd focal plane,

Alan

The Ziess will probably have the best glass but my choice would be the Kahles. Why? Well because it fufills all the criteria I look for in a scope:

Matched turrets to reticle(mrad) which track perfectly

FFP

Illuminated

Good parallax adjustment

Good magnification range

I used a 624i at the weekend in competition and it worked perfectly. To my eye the glass does not quite have the resolution of a PMII but it is certainly very good and it does not adjust parallax below 50mtr(according to the turret). In every other feature I think it is equal or better.

Good luck.

Have a look at the Swarovski Z5 5-25X52 with the ballistic turret, more of a varminter than the others and has all the dial-ability you'll need to 400. Zero at 200 and have your presets at 300, 350 and 400. Simples. Works well on my 20tac.

Mike

Hi col

6-24x56 FL victory Diavari IR. great class hate the elevation turret. Didn't get the windage turret.

I can't seem to get my eye focused with it like I can with my S&B

Where did you order the Kahles from, they are quie thin on the ground? I really liked the one i had for the last month and thought it was good value for money too, street price was looking like £1850?

Ordered it from Uttings as they had it in stock.

I've got a new one with the mil 4 ret - which is a fantastic ret; just the right thickness.

I can't put my finger on it, but something about the scope doesn't do it for me.

Bought about 6 weeks ago. Mounted (in an AI mount so completely unmarked) and used for the quarry comp.

Tracks perfectly, infact, does everything that these feature packed scopes do, perfectly.

If anyone's after a mil 4 (which I believe have sold so strongly that they will be unobtainable until later in the year), I can be talked out of this mint very recently bought 'as new' scope for £150 less than the Uttings new price.

That would be a great buy for someone at £1700, i was tempted to buy the one i had as my PMII is undergoing a service at the moment and who knows when it will return. If i needed a new scope it would be the one i had on test i have to say. I turn up at diggle quite regularly with various scopes but the Kahles seemed to attract a lot of interest, people wanted to know more and see more and it occured to me how little interest some other scopes had previously generated.

They must be good, Baldie reached into his own pockets for one, they might not offer the precise spec some people seek but value for money, they are a clear favourite.

With an 11 year warranty too!

I've got a new one with the mil 4 ret - which is a fantastic ret; just the right thickness.

I can't put my finger on it, but something about the scope doesn't do it for me.

Bought about 6 weeks ago. Mounted (in an AI mount so completely unmarked) and used for the quarry comp.

Tracks perfectly, infact, does everything that these feature packed scopes do, perfectly.

If anyone's after a mil 4 (which I believe have sold so strongly that they will be unobtainable until later in the year), I can be talked out of this mint very recently bought 'as new' scope for £150 less than the Uttings new price.

Wow, already sold pending funds.

Well scope turned up this aft, very nice but not for me can't get on with the top px ring so will be going in the sales later, Kahles K624i Mil3 ret £1700 saving £150 on shop price.

Andy, these scope do exacly what they are supposed to. The top parallax for me pesonally is one of the best features of the scope. To my eye the one i have doesn't quite resolve as well as my pmii but thats my only critisism.

That would be a great buy for someone at £1700, i was tempted to buy the one i had as my PMII is undergoing a service at the moment and who knows when it will return. If i needed a new scope it would be the one i had on test i have to say. I turn up at diggle quite regularly with various scopes but the Kahles seemed to attract a lot of interest, people wanted to know more and see more and it occured to me how little interest some other scopes had previously generated.

They must be good, Baldie reached into his own pockets for one, they might not offer the precise spec some people seek but value for money, they are a clear favourite.

With an 11 year warranty too!

I think the value-for-money point is spot on. You mustn't lose sight of the fact that these scopes are more than £1000 cheaper than the equivalent PM2; and as the military arm of Swarovski, Kahles are a country-mile ahead of all the other alternatives.

£1000 cheaper! I can't see any way that they'll stay at this price point; this is a Kahles land-grab to take advantage of S&B being in disarray.

Like Mike, I think the top parallax is one of the scope's best features. In use the scope is easier to handle than an S&B - all the knobs are in easy to reach places.

I think reticle choice is critical though; Mil 4 = Yes; anything else = No. I imagine that's why Mil 4s are sold out and unobtainable - it's been quoted as several months before that factory will be able to catch up with demand.

The Mil 4 is better than any S&B ret I've ever used; it balances visibility with being just the right thinness for precision; it has half mil hashes, which give you all the real-world precision you'll ever need, and unlike the S&B P4F it's 'rounded' which aids aiming. The P4F is an angular hard edged ret that doesn't lead your eye naturally to the centre; the Mil4 feels very different and 'natural'.

The other major winner is that it has S&B type turrets - ie not the awful vernier things you see on NF, Leupold etc; you cannot unwittingly be a whole elevation or windage turn out on these turrets. I hate vernier turrets with a passion!

My main niggle is that its minimum focus distance is 50m. Why did they do that?! I know that one day I'll want to stick it on an air rifle; and 50m min focus renders it useless for that task. For an extra grand, S&B 5-25s go down to 10m.

Andy, these scope do exacly what they are supposed to. The top parallax for me pesonally is one of the best features of the scope. To my eye the one i have doesn't quite resolve as well as my pmii but thats my only critisism.

Yes the scope is very good i just can't get on with that top px, it just feels strange to me.

Archived