Would you expect a rail to come with screws or not?

I phoned up Third Eye Tactical early last week about a rail for my Remington SA in 260 Rem. They had a rail in stock but don't supply screws. So I got an EGW rail with screws included and fitted it myself.

It seems daft to me to sell a rail without screws to attach it. Any comments?

Regards JCS

i suppose they work on the principle that if they domt send any they cant send the wrong ones

i suppose they work on the principle that if they domt send any they cant send the wrong ones

Yes it does seem daft but when asked about this, they told me that they have had problems with people mashing barrel threads with the forward screw. Also if the screw hits the barrel thread, it will not tighten the rail down.

Near manufacturing supplied screws to me with their rail but there use came with a note in the packet with so many caveats there use was pointless. My action also needed drilling and tapping.

I for one support Third Eye in their policy, a person can wreck an action trying to fit a rail, far better to get a smithy to do it especially if there is any drilling and tapping to be done and he will/should have the correct screws. Sensible risk mitigation in what is a very litigious society if you ask me.

And ...if a smith orders a rail? will he get some screws?

What is one supposed to do with a rail without screws? Go back to the rail manufacturer and ask for screws?

We now send out a set of action screws with stocks that have a mag system fitted, so that especially the mainland European customer doesn't have to search around for 1/4x28 screws.

By the way does anyone know where one can buy 6/48 screws with flat torx heads? say around a thousand.

edi

Not issuing screws is insanity

What is one supposed to do with a rail without screws? Go back to the rail manufacturer and ask for screws?

We now send out a set of action screws with stocks that have a mag system fitted, so that especially the mainland European customer doesn't have to search around for 1/4x28 screws.

By the way does anyone know where one can buy 6/48 screws with flat torx heads? say around a thousand.

edi

100% agree. Not issuing screws is insanity. Full 'risk mitigation' would be simply not to sell anything.

edi

edi try a company called brabbin and rudd or websters based in wigan have a look on www. just an idea they sell all types of engineering screws

The problem is that No one knows of a screw manufacturer in the UK that makes these screws. I have to get mine from Brownells. They aren,t cheap, and are rarely available these days, due to the current US situation.

I have them in stock to fit the Remington at £10 a set of four. 3 long, and 1 short so the barrel thread doesn,t get damaged.

The problem is that No one knows of a screw manufacturer in the UK that makes these screws. I have to get mine from Brownells. They aren,t cheap, and are rarely available these days, due to the current US situation.

I have them in stock to fit the Remington at £10 a set of four. 3 long, and 1 short so the barrel thread doesn,t get damaged.

Even then they're not necessarily the right length depending on the thickness of the rail.

I've got a couple of the Brownells selection boxes. Very handy, but it's always the common ones that get used up first!

Archived