Jump to content
UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, Reloader54 said:

skinning and old male is like pulling the tread off a tractor tyre:P

I chuckled, bravo.

Squirrels; my old boys dog isn't keen, that's enough of an indicator for me to steer clear,  as he considers some other pretty nasty xxxx as delicacies ;s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sneaked a squirrel into the slow cooker when the wife was making a chicken stew, and was at work.

 I took all the meat off just before the wife returned and mixed it in. It Fooled the Mrs and kids, as it was white meat very similar to chicken anyhow. Everyone thought it was great! (Which it was!) Until i told them...

The kids were fine about it, but it took a few days for the wife to come around....:(

She was just as uninterested when i cooked a Pheasant stew a few months back. Until she tasted it. Now shes hooked! She's a typical, 'Doesn't meat grow off sheets of polystyrene wrapped in cling film type. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chaz said:

I sneaked a squirrel into the slow cooker when the wife was making a chicken stew, and was at work.

 I took all the meat off just before the wife returned and mixed it in. It Fooled the Mrs and kids, as it was white meat very similar to chicken anyhow. Everyone thought it was great! (Which it was!) Until i told them...

The kids were fine about it, but it took a few days for the wife to come around....:(

She was just as uninterested when i cooked a Pheasant stew a few months back. Until she tasted it. Now shes hooked! She's a typical, 'Doesn't meat grow off sheets of polystyrene wrapped in cling film type. :rolleyes:

Brave! My other half would cut my nuts off if she found out I'd done that ;p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sneaked some venison into a beef stew once.

The lad loved it. He asked what is was, so I said "its what your Mother , calls me "

He said to the wife "don't eat it..its arsehole" :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crow sounds  brave ,carrion  peutrid meat I reckon I'd go for the squirrel if I had to choose, but only have reds where I live so of the menu ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Squirrel is good. All I use is the back legs, just roll them in flour and fry them, quick , easy and tasty. Kentucky fried squirrel.

I have asked several people to try them without telling them what it is, and they have all liked it. Apparently prepared squirrel is selling for £8 a time in London.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did squirrel in a stew , with wood pidgeon and rabbit thrown in . It was very nice from memory haven't done one since but plan on doing squirrel and rabbit on the bbq this summer:) hopefully my taste buds haven't changed lol... Your lucky if you have reds , the blasted greys pushed em out . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do reds taste better than greys :D

In all serious, no greys over here. Just reds but no one eats them and few shoot them.

Have eaten crow, fieldfare, jay before, all good.

Crow actually similar to grouse. Drew the line at gulls and fox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Toby said:

Do reds taste better than greys :D

In all serious, no greys over here. Just reds but no one eats them and few shoot them.

Have eaten crow, fieldfare, jay before, all good.

Crow actually similar to grouse. Drew the line at gulls and fox.

reds are protected. [endangered species ] http://www.rsne.org.uk/squirrels-and-law

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I grew up eating squirrel. The region of the US I lived in had really large, heavily bodied grey squirrels we hunted with .22's in hardwood groves. We would lightly brine them and either stew or fry them. No one ever complained.~Andrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrew said:

I grew up eating squirrel. The region of the US I lived in had really large, heavily bodied grey squirrels we hunted with .22's in hardwood groves. We would lightly brine them and either stew or fry them. No one ever complained.~Andrew

Well of course they would be bigger in the USA,,,, is this you? 

giantsquirrelshotandkilled.jpg

I guess you need one hell of a pan to fry that up.:P

 

is  this you??

images (2).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Genius 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Reloader54 said:

Well of course they would be bigger in the USA,,,, is this you? 

giantsquirrelshotandkilled.jpg

I guess you need one hell of a pan to fry that up.:P

 

is  this you??

images (2).jpg

Naw! That's one of those scrawny reds. The greys are MUCH bigger.

Not me but I like the pan.~Andrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I  remember  looking  forward  to  a  rabbit  and  squirrel  stew  I'd  done  in  the  slow  cooker. By  the  time  I'd  got  in  from  work my partner had  woofed  all  the  small  pieces of  'rabbit'.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

RifleMags_200x100.jpg

Northallerton NSAC shooting.jpg

border_ballistics_UKV_ad.jpg

dolphin button4 (200x100).jpg

CASEPREP_FINAL_YELLOW_hi_res__200_.jpg

rovicom200.jpg

BHTargets200.jpg

Lumensmini.png

CALTON MOOR RANGE (2) (200x135).jpg

bradley1 200.jpg

NVstore200.jpg

Danny Trowsdale 200.png

safeshot 200.jpg

tacfire 200.jpg

blackrifle.png

jr_firearms_200.gif

valkyrie 200.jpg

tab 200.jpg

 

 



×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy