squirrel eating

Made a squirrel pie last year, it was delicious. I quite often use them in game terrines that I make. It helps that I have an elderly friend who traps them and freezes them for me, as one is rarely enough.

Made a squirrel pie last year, it was delicious. I quite often use them in game terrines that I make. It helps that I have an elderly friend who traps them and freezes them for me, as one is rarely enough.

ahh cool.

i just found mine really strong tasting, maybe what they was eating down here?

have you a cooking method for them mate?

old chap i know will eat anything,when i used to work with him one break time he pulled out a pocket knife and began trimming his toe nails i think he would have been better with a 9" grinder.anyway when he'd done he pulled out an apple and started to peel and eat it,also he asked my lad to get him some crows as he's started to eat them aswell,but he once prepared and cooked a squirrel but counld'nt bring him self to eat it for him to draw a line and not cross it must say something

old chap i know will eat anything,when i used to work with him one break time he pulled out a pocket knife and began trimming his toe nails i think he would have been better with a 9" grinder.anyway when he'd done he pulled out an apple and started to peel and eat it,also he asked my lad to get him some crows as he's started to eat them aswell,but he once prepared and cooked a squirrel but counld'nt bring him self to eat it for him to draw a line and not cross it must say something

fair comment dude!

i have heard the ole tree rats are 'not good'.

(i was young and silly).

as for crows, jees!

i was told once a young rook is ok, ish?

not for me i must say!

i am kinda drawing a conclusion here that any , erm, 'non vegatarian' quarry is not so good to dine on.

i do know of a story from an old old boy i know, where it involved cooking a badger leg, all done like a lamb joint!

from what i was told, they went hungry that night.

good stuff!!! :-0

ahh cool.

i just found mine really strong tasting, maybe what they was eating down here?

have you a cooking method for them mate?

I usually Confit them first and then shred it like duck in a Chinese restaurant. You can then use it in pies etc pretty easily.

You can follow the recipe below but substitute squirrel for rabbit.

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/games-on/topnav/recipes/rabbit-recipes/wild-rabbit-confit-with-garlic.cfm

Flea ridden little shites! Skinning is the worst bit.

Poach them for 2hrs with usual stock veg and herbs then remove the meat. Stock can then be reduced and thickened. fry off some bacon,onions,garlic add white wine or cider then cream and the stock with new veg and the meat. Pastry on top... Bosh Squirrel pie! :-D

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds gaggin to me but I suppose it's a bit like the horse meat controversy. It's a question of trying before criticising. I ate a horse steak once when in France on holiday (I didn't know it until after I paid the bill so that teach me to learn the language better) and enjoyed it.

fair comment dude!

i have heard the ole tree rats are 'not good'.

(i was young and silly).

as for crows, jees!

i was told once a young rook is ok, ish?

not for me i must say!

i am kinda drawing a conclusion here that any , erm, 'non vegatarian' quarry is not so good to dine on.

i do know of a story from an old old boy i know, where it involved cooking a badger leg, all done like a lamb joint!

from what i was told, they went hungry that night.

good stuff!!! :-0

There used tone organised rook shoots-while they were branchers- out of nest,not flying

And there were some lovely single shot " rook and rabbit rifles",many made/ sold by very prestigious London gun makers.valuable collectors items now.

Rook pie was a country staple,in the branchers season just before too many leaves were out.

"Fox" is the classic "uneatable"......

(Oscar) Wilde fox,of course.

Gbal

Sounds gaggin to me but I suppose it's a bit like the horse meat controversy. It's a question of trying before criticising. I ate a horse steak once when in France on holiday (I didn't know it until after I paid the bill so that teach me to learn the language better) and enjoyed it.

I can't think of anywhere on the world where horse is a legitimate game harvestable species for shooters.

Even where it is on the menu.Is it unique in that?

Gbal

Dont see what the fuss is.............

Years ago I skinned a couple and boiled squirrels up on my ex in-laws front patio as they wouldn't allow me to cook them in the kitchen. Luckily I just happened to have a camp stove in the back of the landie.

Tasted very nice :D

Latter, as in years latter, I did some again but now I only bother with the back legs and leave the rest for the foxes.

I can't think of anywhere on the world where horse is a legitimate game harvestable species for shooters.

Even where it is on the menu.Is it unique in that?

Gbal

I think they shoot feral horses in Australia. Whether they eat them or not, I don't know...

Best wishes,

Finman

Zebra .....

Yes,ok.but I meant horse,as in horse, Caballus..Not just any generic solid hoofed ungulate of the genus Equus(ass,zebra etc).

Red Rum,Charge of the Light Brigade mounts ,would be clear examples,though I could stretch to the Pony Club,or Dartmoor ponies etc.

One idea might be that they are just too valuable alive for indigenous peoples,like Mongolians,or Plains Indians ( or Red Rums!),but I am not convinced,Nor are they some kind of holy cows, as far as I know and are eaten - but not farmed for food anywhere.

Humans as a species are seldom so much in agreement about an animal.I just wonder why?

Gbal

Yes,ok.but I meant horse,as in horse, Caballus..Not just any generic solid hoofed ungulate of the genus Equus(ass,zebra etc). Red Rum,Charge of the Light Brigade mounts ,would be clear examples,though I could stretch to the Pony Club,or Dartmoor ponies etc. One idea might be that they are just too valuable alive for indigenous peoples,like Mongolians,or Plains Indians ( or Red Rums!),but I am not convinced,Nor are they some kind of holy cows, as far as I know and are eaten - but not farmed for food anywhere. Humans as a species are seldom so much in agreement about an animal.I just wonder why? Gbal

good point!

i worked in france many yrs ago for well over 6 yrs.

we often had la 'viande de cheval' on display in any good boucherie.

not a problem for me, tasted quite nice, and if i can explain, a 'cleaner' meat , hardly any gristle/fat.

there are dedicated horse butchers out there 'boucherie chevaline'.

not old retired show jumpers! usually a breed 'ardenes' i believe, almost all are free roming.

it's a touchy issue here in the uk, why? well, who knows.

different cultures i suppose.

i have a local butcher literally 200 yrd s from my place, he sells allsorts, zebra,gator etc!

i feel this is mainly due to the large 'non uk' residents which we have the pleasure to host in this town.

which is great i actually must say. as i must try some of this 'queer gear' soon.

I used to have a good tester for new (read dubious) meat tasting. He was a patterdale border whippet. If he wouldn't eat it neither would I. Only things I tried him on that he refused were starling,fox and a chinese that gave me food poisoning.

Take note Gandy; Fox is definitely off the menu even for me ....LOL

The little dog once ate a full packet/box of oxo cubes although I think he struggled with the silver foil so promptly deposited the whole caboodle on the landrover front seat..... nice.

there are a lot of surplus horses and ponies they were making as little as ten pounds last year at auction. there are a few licensed abattoirs but I believe most of it goes abroad.

never had squirrel

kangaroo's not bad

Archived