.22LR military clones

Si-Snipe

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can someone experienced give me some feedback on which are good and not so good. They all look similar to me and there are a few 2nd hand ones about but I know nothing about their accuracy, reliability and longevity.

Thanks

Si

Si, Some of the one that i have looked at look nice, but the accuracy is crap to say the leased,,,,

you like myself would not be happy???.

Darrel

Can someone experienced give me some feedback on which are good and not so good. They all look similar to me and there are a few 2nd hand ones about but I know nothing about their accuracy, reliability and longevity.

Thanks

Si

Hi Si,

I went into this subject at great length along with some of my customers. The brief was military looks, reliable functioning with subsonics and target ammo, accuracy. All this to be achieved out of the box, no expensive after market parts, modifications or 'tuning'. The cheapest viable option was the various models of the Sig 522. This was the reason I imported several batches of all available models and a wide range of accessories, items that the larger importers were reluctant to handle.

At this point I will declare an interest and say that at the moment I have no rifles in stock but have a reasonable selection of accessories, more rifles are on order. The Sig typically shoots 'one ragged hole' at 25 yards, under 1" at fifty and has been known to put 3 rounds 'off the bench' with target grade ammo around 1" at 100 yards. The trigger pull is long but smooth ( and can be lightened if required) and most of them can go at least 500 rounds before cleaning. All this in a rifle that typically costs from £675 new,

Alan

I have a ruger 10/22 fully kitted out with every aftermarket upgrade on in a nordic components stock to take an ar15 accessories and it will put bullet on bullet almost at 60 yards but not cheap!

I have the H&K 416 made by Walther, i have shot just under half inch at 25 yards just resting on the mag and using a Bushnell T dot sight, very well made with no plastic rubbish where it should be metal, i use mine for two gun comps and it's not let me down .

BAR 22 very good rep when mark was making them Genuine AR upper/lower
Spikes Tactical ,When they are a genuine whole spikes are very good genuine AR upper/ lower
sig reliable but cant swap uppers .shite trigger .22 lr dedicated
10/22 Can be very good but you will spend more money on upgrades obviously 22 dedicated
Don,t get a gsg or urma they are crap
Aggy
if shooting mini rifle i would go hands down for a AR type rifle no doubt about it

I have a spikes tactical st22. most reliable .22 semi auto at my gun club thats including the serious custom 10/22's. Ive just had the barrel cut down to 12.5" with a 10" handguard fitted, sound mod reflexed so it sits in the handguard. I have a EOTech red dot ( genuine ) with 5x clone magnifier behind it and its a caker to head shot rabbits out to 80-90 yards with it. Lots of extras you can buy for this. If you want some pics, ill happily send a couple over ( I am the one that emailed you other day re 6.5x47 )

Craig

BAR 22 very good rep when mark was making them Genuine AR upper/lowerSpikes Tactical ,When they are a genuine whole spikes are very good genuine AR upper/ lowerrsig reliable but cant swap uppers .shite trigger .22 lr dedicated10/22 Can be very good but you will spend more money on upgrades obviously 22 dedicatedDon,t get a gsg or urma they are crapAggyif shooting mini rifle i would go hands down for a AR type rifle no doubt about it
Good post. Agree with all comments

i also agree with AGGY with the GSG comment. I had a GSG5 -SD , looked the part but it was a total nightmare, started off working with subs then slowly got worse and worse and then would only work with HV .22 ammo, pointless having the suppressor on it which was really expensive. Stay clear of them mate

I don't build them as often as I used too.

Partly because parts were hard to come by.

Partly because getting barrels made in the configuration I use became an exercise in frustration.

And partly because they were more a labour of love and I ended up not making much money and was forced to compete with all the Mickey Mouse plastic Lookeylikeys.

There's still none better though :-)

I don't build them as often as I used too.

Partly because parts were hard to come by.

Partly because getting barrels made in the configuration I use became an exercise in frustration.

And partly because they were more a labour of love and I ended up not making much money and was forced to compete with all the Mickey Mouse plastic Lookeylikeys.

There's still none better though :-)

How very true... ;)

I have a spikes tactical st22. most reliable .22 semi auto at my gun club thats including the serious custom 10/22's. Ive just had the barrel cut down to 12.5" with a 10" handguard fitted, sound mod reflexed so it sits in the handguard. I have a EOTech red dot ( genuine ) with 5x clone magnifier behind it and its a caker to head shot rabbits out to 80-90 yards with it. Lots of extras you can buy for this. If you want some pics, ill happily send a couple over ( I am the one that emailed you other day re 6.5x47 )

Craig

I bet that looks sweet mate.

Thanks for all replies guys. Plenty of good for thought.

ATB

Si

• 11 months later...

Mine always goes back in the cupboard with the hammer cocked and on safe, just like all M16 rifles are designed to do

? I'm no expert, but I carried a Diemaco for 2 years, and that was certainly not 'the done thing' in the military environment I was in. The command, "Clear. Ease springs." has a clue in the last 2 words :P ...........guessing you call your trigger finger your safety too ? :lol::)

? I'm no expert, but I carried a Diemaco for 2 years, and that was certainly not 'the done thing' in the military environment I was in. The command, "Clear. Ease springs." has a clue in the last 2 words :P ...........guessing you call your trigger finger your safety too ? :lol::)

If you insist on easing springs on your .22 AR, two things are going to happen.

1) you're going to peen the edge of the chamber with the firing pin

2) you're going to accelerate the wear on the firing pin and break it.

The country that uses the M16 most is the Good ol' US of A, and from what I've seen from shooting with them and being in their armouries is that all M16 type rifles go back into the armory (US spelling there) with them on safe, and that means hammer cocked.

The springs don't care and neither do I.

You can by all means ease yer springs till the cows (or even last patrol) come home, but there's no reason to not then return the condition to "safe".

It's what I do when I'm Tier 1 operating with my beard on.

You have just cleared the firearm so how will having the safety applied make it any more "safe" ?

It will make it less safe, because you have to cock it to do so; it will have the external appearance of a weapon 'made ready'.

No idea how our colonial cousins play it ('Guard' armories?) nor on the requirements of 22 clones. Did spend 7 weeks on the board of a courts martial that still pops up on things like Panorama, the case was entirely about loss of life due to confused weapon states.

It's what I do when I'm Tier 1 operating with my beard on.

:lol:

On a lighter note guys, anybody have any experience of the Anschutz MSR RX22. Particularly interested in accuracy, not so worried about sub sonic ammo performance.

Mike

If you insist on easing springs on your .22 AR, two things are going to happen.

1) you're going to peen the edge of the chamber with the firing pin

2) you're going to accelerate the wear on the firing pin and break it.

Personally I avoid this by first pulling the cocking handle back until the bolt contacts the hammer, then pull the trigger to release the hammer, and let the bolt forward gently, that eases the springs without any possibility of damage doesnt it?

I've no idea why you'd want the safety on on an unloaded gun in your cabinet, so I've never tried to engage it in that condition.

I have the "Colt" M4 (Umarex), despite using a very thin barrel in an aluminium sleeve, and having a trigger that often makes people believe they must have left the safety on the first time they fire it, it delivers good accuracy, 0.5" 10 shot group at 25yd easily. It is extremely reliable, whan fed Mini Mag in my experience it NEVER jams.

I use it for mini rifle and when shooting against the clock I never notice the trigger pull, it works great.

If I was buying again I would consider the Smith &Wesson version, for:

1) improvable trigger

2) working bolt release button

3) the thin barrel means if you want to use a moderator you need an adapter, and in my experience unless you use a light moderator, the groups are rubbish and zero shift can be large. S&W uses a solid barrel.

On a lighter note guys, anybody have any experience of the Anschutz MSR RX22. Particularly interested in accuracy, not so worried about sub sonic ammo performance.

Mike

I tried one recently as I'm in the market for one of these. It has a nice barrel and with good ammo is very accurate. It lost out to the S&W M&P for me though. Bear in mind that it's not a real Anschutz, just a joint venture.

Well I'm not one for going on about me being safer than thou, but with my method the only time my rifle actually comes off safe is when it's being fired.

Think about that.

Mag goes in, gun's on safe.

Bolt gets cycled, gun's on safe.

On ranges where you have to display a chamber flag/open bolt indicator, the gun gets proved clear by both yourself and your RO, ease springs is then performed (last point of safety procedure, just in case there is a rd in there) bolt gets locked back and flag/mag block inserted and gun goes back on safe.

I have a Anschutz MSR RX22 and have sold 2 to others.

It will with good ammo like CCI standard velocity put 10 rounds off a rest at 25m under a 10P piece, have done it several times.

It has even put 10 under a 5P a couple of times with R100 ammo at 25m, and shoots well out to 100m.

It is a bit short in the stock without a thick jacket on, but easily sorted, mine has just done about 600 rounds over the last 3 months with

no cleaning and has not had one jam or miss feed.

Nice rifle for the money.

Archived