Barrel choice

johnd

I started a topic a little ago about weight and choice of equipment. I was told initially to start with barrelled action including rings, trigger and rail and then work your way out by adding the stock, bipod and scope.

But wih you, you got to work the other way around. I guess you just got to weigh all stuff that you already have. My barrelled action complete is around just under 10.5lbs and that with a 32" F class barrel.

• 2 months later...

I got my FTR in build as we speak. I have 32" true-flite barrel 1:10" F class contour. I intend to push 155 to 185gr to try out what suits me as I am beginning in FTR. Although this twist rate works with the lighter bullets I should a fair spin drift. Apparently the gain twist thing from what I heard doesn't make much difference but I have no experience so can't tell you much. I have asked for a standard 308 chamber and tight neck tolerances as I will be neck turning. I also asked to screw cut for mod so that I can practice at home and load developing.

What action are you going for?

Weight of your 32" True Flite barrel?

Cheers,

Amleto

I see you are going with a tight neck reamer, I don't shoot ftr but I thought the chamber had to be a certain size by the regs, surely if you neck turn on a spec'd chamber things are going to get a bit baggy?

Redshift

I had to change the choice of the reamer as I had to order one but would have taken for ever to get one so got the option for a reamer which suits the 185 hybrid, maybe a little long for the smk's 2256 Palma but I guess I'll see once the rifle is ready.

The throat diameter is standard but still neck turned my cases while waiting patiently :) .

Just for your info tight neck chambers are not permitted in FTR

A standard SAAMI spec round must be able to chamber in your rifle.

So be wary

Dave

Archived