.17 HMR vs. .22 lr

Hi,

I've been contemplating getting a rimfire here in the UK, and need a little input regarding the calibre.

I'll use it for rabbits, crows etc. and want to be able to eat the rabbits. I'll probably not have opportunity to shoot beyond 150 meters.

I have a .22 lr in Denmark, and think it's a great little gun, but have never used it for rabbits. I've done a bit of desktop research and these are my conclusions so far.

.17 HMR

Pros: Longer range, more accurate

Cons: Still not centre fire wind performance, significant meat damage when taking body shots on rabbits, louder than a .22 lr, even when moderated

.22 lr

Pros: Very quiet when moderated, little meat damage when taking body shots on rabbits, can be used at Bisley if I want to do a bit of gallery rifle

Cons: Shorter range, not as accurate as a 17 HMR

I'm probably leaning towards a .22 lr, but am a little intrigued by the .17 HMR. Just not sure if it will be a lot better than the .22 lr for what I'll use it for.

I'd be grateful for your input - am I correct in the above assumptions and what is your experience?

Thanks in advance,

Christian

Hi,

I've been contemplating getting a rimfire here in the UK, and need a little input regarding the calibre.

I'll use it for rabbits, crows etc. and want to be able to eat the rabbits. I'll probably not have opportunity to shoot beyond 150 meters.

I have a .22 lr in Denmark, and think it's a great little gun, but have never used it for rabbits. I've done a bit of desktop research and these are my conclusions so far.

.17 HMR

Cons: Still not centre fire wind performance, significant meat damage when taking body shots on rabbits, louder than a .22 lr, even when moderated

.22 lr

Pros: Very quiet when moderated, little meat damage when taking body shots on rabbits, can be used at Bisley if I want to do a bit of gallery rifle

I'm probably leaning towards a .22 lr, but am a little intrigued by the .17 HMR. Just not sure if it will be a lot better than the .22 lr for what I'll use it for.

I'd be grateful for your input - am I correct in the above assumptions and what is your experience?

Thanks in advance,

Christian

HI C,

That's rasonably fair comment.Differences inaccuracy are marginal to rabbiting,17hmr will add 50 yards to range,approx-in good conditions.There are a few other newish 17 options -17 Hornet eg,and a 17 Win sm on the way.None so far rival the 224 cfs for effective range,if/when itis needed. But a lot of people find the 22 rf-esp with subsonics and moderated,a grand little cartridge,and very economical and excellent for rabbits at sensible ranges,as you say.You can always get another cartridge/rifle when you feel you need it,and the current flurry of new ones has settled down.

george

Hi,

.17 HMR

.22 lr

Thanks in advance,

Christian

PS 150 m is too far for reliable 22rf performance- if you try to shoot at that distance ,you will be disappointed by the 22rf -check the trajectory tables-can you judge wind/distance that well? 75 m is more realistic.150 is into 17 Hornet territory.

If you have a lot of rabbits get a .22 sub, get closer to your target. 17hmr to loud to expensive, split case issues (hade them myself). Went for a 1 for 1 variation with my .22 for my 17, v bad decision. Just my personal views others will put forward the merits of the .17 which it has If you really need to shoot Rabbits past (this is my opinion) 80 yds, others will say nearer others will say futher

Also you can practise and zero a lot cheeper with a .22 sub, (dont forget pc plod do"s not like us to have fun) It your decision.

The .17hmr is a cracking round (literally even with a suppressor) and outstrips the .22 in performance for sure. However there are pros and cons to both. I shot many a rabbit with the 17 and it made a mess of every one of them, headshots only if you wanted to eat them. I'd ideally still like to have one but gave up the slot for a reloadable centrefire which suited my purpose more. With the .22 know your range and drops and watch for ricochet. Ive probably shot just as many with the 22 at the same ranges i used with the 17 - anything further id limit to a c/f. On accuracy a good .22 can group inside an 1" at 100 (even a semi auto - that being another plus...)

PS 150 m is too far for reliable 22rf performance- if you try to shoot at that distance ,you will be disappointed by the 22rf -check the trajectory tables-can you judge wind/distance that well? 75 m is more realistic.150 is into 17 Hornet territory.

Check the wind tables again there aint a lot in at at 100yds wind wise., I think we must also consider the fact that many can now "ping" their quarry. I know were your coming from though if your talking point and shoot

I was forced into selling my HMR by licensing, who said I had too many Vermin rifles listed. Any how its something I am glad has gone The std .22 Hornet does everything it could do plus more and far better. 22 rf for me if range is an issue get closer, if you cant get a small centre fire and be done with it. I can also hand load the hornet for as makes no matter the same cost as factory hmr and my wife says its quieter shot off the driveway she cant hear it in the kitchen ( that could be the better c/f spec mod though)

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for your comments.

It sounds like the .22 LR is the better choice in my case. If I need to shoot beyond 100 meters I might as well use my .223 instead of a .17 HMR.

Again, thanks for your help.

Christian

Check the wind tables again there aint a lot in at at 100yds wind wise., I think we must also consider the fact that many can now "ping" their quarry. I know were your coming from though if your talking point and shoot

OK- sort of agree at 100y-I was talking 150m.For me ,that's too far a 22rf under any circumstances.(22mag excepted-just,if you can find a really accurate one).Drop of course is knowable,but wind eludes any known pinger so far.The 22rf is just not the humane tool for 150m (165 yards). If 150m is the modal distance,you need a better cartridge than the 22rf,and there are plenty available.I rather think relative beginners should have a performance margin-inded everyone should,as no-one can judge field wind that well,and a relatively small error can mean a non fatal shot-which I can't recommend.

george

im thinking 17HM2 - maybe as the range you say might be up to 150, so 100-125 should be fine , but im thinking the wind might be an issue . i use the HMR but want to change to something less wind sensitive , and i bet you dont get the split case problem with HM2 as the HMR some times does . then theres the 17wsm suppost to be comming out ! but we dont know if that will have problems either ! id say wait if you can and see if the 17wsm is a goer or not ..

im thinking 17HM2 - maybe as the range you say might be up to 150, so 100-125 should be fine , but im thinking the wind might be an issue . i use the HMR but want to change to something less wind sensitive , and i bet you dont get the split case problem with HM2 as the HMR some times does . then theres the 17wsm suppost to be comming out ! but we dont know if that will have problems either ! id say wait if you can and see if the 17wsm is a goer or not ..

The HM2 will be worse not better as its the same bullets as the HMR but slower. Get a small centre fire like the Hornet etc. for the more distant stuff and use a .22 lr for inside 100 yds

Hi all, Thanks a lot for your comments. It sounds like the .22 LR is the better choice in my case. If I need to shoot beyond 100 meters I might as well use my .223 instead of a .17 HMR. Again, thanks for your help. Christian

Ah,you have a 223.That changes it all..22rf for the 50 +yarders (subsonics,moderator,sight in zero at the modal distance,check drop/windages ),223 for anything beyond 75 y.As you say,sorted.The sensible intermediary would be the 17 Hornet,if it works out well,but you rally don't need it unless there are severe noise etc issues.

george

The last 4 rabbits I have shot with my .22Lr using winchester subs have been, 85,86,103 and 125 yards, all head shots! The 125 yarder there was absolutely no wind and conditions were perfect, 12.5MOA was dialled for the necessary elevation dialled in adjustments.

I sold my HMR, like others have said, the HMR seems to be unreliable, and not as accurate as my .22Lr out to 120 yrds.

I sold my HMR and bought a .22 Hornet and never looked back.

Out to 100 yards + a little more when the conditions are good the .22lr is great, past that I use my .22 Hornet out to 250 yards.

Steve.

The last 4 rabbits I have shot with my .22Lr using winchester subs have been, 85,86,103 and 125 yards, all head shots! The 125 yarder there was absolutely no wind and conditions were perfect, 12.5MOA was dialled for the necessary elevation dialled in adjustments.

I sold my HMR, like others have said, the HMR seems to be unreliable, and not as accurate as my .22Lr out to 120 yrds.

I sold my HMR and bought a .22 Hornet and never looked back.

Out to 100 yards + a little more when the conditions are good the .22lr is great, past that I use my .22 Hornet out to 250 yards.

Steve.

Good on you Steve-we are close enough-just remember you can really shoot,and it wouldn't do for just everyone to think they can do it. I'm beginning to think a good Hornet with these new fangled bullets etc has regained it's place,but the 222 fills my nostalgia/250 slot.

george

Gbal, gunner, Kent, Ronny and 247, thanks for following up.

I've now applied for a .22 lr. Local force happy, so it's just a question of how long time the paperwork will take.

I'll probably go for a CZ 452 and get Alan Wey to tune the trigger. Considering a replacement stock.

Not sure about the mod, but has seen people in here seem to like the Ase Utra one. I'm also intrigued by the small size of the LEI.

Scope will probably end up being a Hawke or MTC, just don't want to spend too much.

Will report on my purchase.

Regards,

Christian

Gbal, gunner, Kent, Ronny and 247, thanks for following up.

I've now applied for a .22 lr. Local force happy, so it's just a question of how long time the paperwork will take.

I'll probably go for a CZ 452 and get Alan Wey to tune the trigger. Considering a replacement stock.

Not sure about the mod, but has seen people in here seem to like the Ase Utra one. I'm also intrigued by the small size of the LEI.

Scope will probably end up being a Hawke or MTC, just don't want to spend too much.

Will report on my purchase.

Regards,

Christian

Very sound decisions-a rim fire mod is of course all you need-ASE are good.Nor do you need a heavy upmarket scope on a 75 y 22rf .I've shot rabbit until duskish,and never thought I needed the possible last 2 minutes of light that a £1000+ scope might have given.Try a few,pick the reticule you like.Avoid gimmicky features that detract-two illumination colours are at least one too many,esp if they fuzz up the reticule.I doubt that you will have any use for more than about 12x max.but if so get a variable-they do usually get set about 6-9x,as maturity sets in.

Those who shoot long range varmints/targets with accurate cfs can benefit from top scopes-indeed need their precision of adjustment.and high mag,Odds are they will not have them on their 22rfs.Enjoy.

george

After having allsorts on top of a .22 I have gone for a fixed 6X42 S+Bender ( only because I took it off a stalking rifle I sold) its been the best by far . I dislike fancy reticules and keeping to what I see through the scope I can judge range pretty good now just though image size (remember you soon get used to the single 6x image) and apply hold over / hold off to quite distant ranges. Might I suggest buying one with a decent stock in the first place putting a cheap moddy on (coz they all work with subs) and investing the rest in good glass and then putting a lot of quality ammo down it till you get fully " intuitive" and competent with the calibre and your limitations. Stocking and bedding don't improve .22 rf much anyhow IMO, I adapted my std walnut stock to suit me

Hi all, Well, that answered my question about selling my 22lr for a 17. I'm going to keep my 22lr. It's a 1710 HB and shoots lovely. Good luck in your new purchase.

Thanks a lot guys, your input is much appreciated.

Kent, you refer to good ammo, were you thinking of any particular brands? It would be good to have an idea of which brands to test when I get to that stage.

I've had very good experience with Eley in handguns in the past and it looks like their subsonic hollow is getting positive reviews for both accuracy and performance on small game.

The HM2 will be worse not better as its the same bullets as the HMR but slower. Get a small centre fire like the Hornet etc. for the more distant stuff and use a .22 lr for inside 100 yds

yes i knew the bullet was the same 17 grain as the hmr ! you say the HM2 will be worse ? surley its flatter shooting and less wind drift than the 22lr ? wasn't that the point of the new 17 cal rimfires to better the 22lr ? from memory the HM2 is about 2100fps and the 22lr upto 1450fps i thought , in my eyes id have one of those over the 22 ! but the main factor would be saftey as the 22lr ric-ochet's badly ! actually im not sure on the wind drift on these two compairing them , which one is better or worse ! as for the 17 hornet , id just use that for distant stuff and under 100 yrds as it'd mean two rifles , scopes , moderators , sod that !

Archived