New Round

JAYB

Thats excellent news.I know from membership of some american sites, that the 5mm rimfire was a very highly regarded cartridge, and its good to see its revival. Variety is the spice of life.

I think personally that I would prefer to have something I can reload, 20AH maybe looks pretty similar.

But I suppose for non reloaders it would fit betwen 17HMR and .22WMR, seems a bit like re inventing the wheel. Just look how many 17HMRs are for sale on Guntrader.

A

Alycidon,

I can't quite see how the most powerful rimfire available will fit in between a 17 HMR and 22WMR. I don't really think it is a case of re inventing the wheel, more a case of giving it another turn. This round is quite a big deal in America and will cause quite a stir, I just thought it would be of interest especially as a board member had such an integral part in it's re emergence.

John

Alycidon,

I can't quite see how the most powerful rimfire available will fit in between a 17 HMR and 22WMR. I don't really think it is a case of re inventing the wheel, more a case of giving it another turn. This round is quite a big deal in America and will cause quite a stir, I just thought it would be of interest especially as a board member had such an integral part in it's re emergence.

John

5mm is 20 cal, hence between 17 and 22. Energy & velocity wise the 20 is a beauty efficiency wise and may very well exceed the other two.

The round is very much of interest and I would thank you for posting on it.

A

• 2 weeks later...

I have read a large a number of articles written by american gun writers over the last few years about this round. They have always raved about it being the best rimfire cartidge ever produced. If it became popular it will probably oust 17hmr. I for one would be first in the que for one of them. The photos I have seen of its terminal ballistics are mighty impressive. I just hope we get the chance to get hold of it in this country. If not well where their is a will theirs a way. JAYB are they going to produce large amounts of this ammunition?

This cartridge will be massed produced, it's future is rosy. One main difference between the introduction of this cartridge as opposed to other "new" calibres is that this is not new, it is being re-introduced and improved. The bonus is that there is already somewhere in the region of 50,000 guns already in existence, that have been gathering dust in gun safes in America.

John

JAYB

Its good to hear that it has a good future. For all the information that has been published about it over the years, it would be nice to see commercial firearms produced in this calibre soon. It was a new product well ahead of its time. With the sales of .17hmr booming it could and should be the right time for it now. We wait and see which manufacturer swallows it pride and jumps in first. The others will follow very quickly after that. Lets hope we in blighty get a chance to use this fabulous little cartridge! The americans cant have all the fun all the time lol. I look forward to more information filtering through over the next few months.

There will be new rifles available. At the SHOT Show (Shooting Hunting and Outdoor Trade Show) in Las Vegas I talked to many makers, big and small, who were interested in making guns for this round and who picked up pressure curve specs and chamber drawings. T/C already catalogs barrels for their single shot frames. Who will not make guns?? Remington and probably Ruger. Remington is on their way out (in my opinion) and Ruger is too deeply involved with Hornady. ~Andrew

Andrew Thats good to hear, now all we are going to have to do is convince the FEO's over here to let us have it when it becomes avialable. It does from all the info I have read appear to be an extremely effective round. Lets hope it lives up to all the expectation. REmington may be blushing from their own cockup here so your probably right they will not want to admit they were wrong to drop it from their line up. Ruger may be forced into a change if this round becomes as popular as it could. Well I shall be keeping an eye out for it anyway.

Archived