.22 lr, to clean or not to clean, that is the question???????

Fair enough-would 'totally seized up' be a factor in easy removal,anyhow?.If it's not broke,though,don't fix it.,at least until another million rounds,or the other kind of silly groups appear! 22 rfs and maybe old PH moderators do seem quite resilient-my PH is perhaps 40 years old,and trying a new state of the art one didn't make a huge difference.

George

Lordy no its not seized on the barrel that might be unforgivable!

I think most people donot clean their rimfire barrels at all , BUT most have not access to a borescope or know exactly the number of rds fired , over on rimfirecentral , a comp shooter says he has noticable wear like sand blasting on the bottom of the rifling from the chamber for about 10 inches , and puts this down to the abrasive glass in the primer , this after 10,000rds .

So it looks like the US made ammo is to blame , good idea to use non- US made ammo as far as I am concerned .

Later Chris

I think most people donot clean their rimfire barrels at all , BUT most have not access to a borescope or know exactly the number of rds fired , over on rimfirecentral , a comp shooter says he has noticable wear like sand blasting on the bottom of the rifling from the chamber for about 10 inches , and puts this down to the abrasive glass in the primer , this after 10,000rds .

So it looks like the US made ammo is to blame , good idea to use non- US made ammo as far as I am concerned .

Later Chris

10 K rounds? Is that all?? I wonder.

I put 7.5 K of CCI ammo through my 1952 BRNO last year alone and the bore is till bright and it still shoots sub MOA at 100M. One of my .22s was purchased for me on the day I was born some 56 years ago. Care to venture how many rounds this rifle has had through it? I know I put 2 K through it last year. I shoot 2 to 2.5 bricks of .22 a week on an average. If my barrels are wearing out, they are not showing the symptoms.~Andrew

my clubs anchlutz rifles never ever ever get cleaned if you mention it you dont just get funny looks.

My semi auto requires cleaning every 200 rounds minimum to prevent cycling issues with subs.

my clubs anchlutz rifles never ever ever get cleaned if you mention it you dont just get funny looks.

My semi auto requires cleaning every 200 rounds minimum to prevent cycling issues with subs.

Might be time for your club rifles to get a little consonant clean up-even jerman engineering can only take so much abuse! :) .

Semi autos will befefit from cleaning the action,and chamber Barrels -well,it's if not broke...?

Just out of interest I pushed a dry patch through my CZ Super match before visiting the range this weekend.

POI at 30 yards had moved just over 1.5". As I continued to shoot it slowly started to move back to it's original zero. After 15 rounds it was back to normal.

Just out of interest I pushed a dry patch through my CZ Super match before visiting the range this weekend. POI at 30 yards had moved just over 1.5". As I continued to shoot it slowly started to move back to it's original zero. After 15 rounds it was back to normal.

Hmmm.anyone shooting bunnies etc AND cleaning,take note-and at least check what your rifle does!!

george

I watched repeated ammo batch testing at the Lapua Nammo ammo facility in Phoenix AZ yesterday and talked to their test technicians, and see no need to worry about cleaning .22lr barrels again.

100M pipe range

C2F297C3-76B6-4C0D-B5F5-F6B1A822F96A-974

2E105E63-E7CC-49E9-B851-16DB5D725DA6-974

100M on left, 50M on right

DF814933-B6B1-498B-8906-0F2DE7923AE1-100

F9BF519B-5D77-490C-8676-79E6583A868B-100

I remember replacing two ruger 10/22 barrels on 2 clubs guns that had had, 150,000 documented rounds down them. They were shot out and would no longer group.

Only 150,000 ? That's bad. I'd want at least 160,000. Seriously though, that's a huge amount and your average shooter isn't likely to get through that many in a hurry.

Out of interest baldie, how was the rest of it doing with that sort of use ? I should imagine it was looking a bit tired by then.

Regards

Pete

Yes, factory barrels Andrew.

The rest of the guns were smooth as silk Pete. A combination of ammo crud and oil had polished them internally like glass. Always a good bet for a project, an action like that.

Yes, factory barrels Andrew.

The rest of the guns were smooth as silk Pete. A combination of ammo crud and oil had polished them internally like glass. Always a good bet for a project, an action like that.

I've done many a project on a 10/22 action. My current test ammo "mule" has a Green Mountain 1-18" twist barrel and all the bells and whistles. A lot of money into that gun. My $120, 1952 BRNO #2 shoots as well....Go figure! I get bored with 10/22 tinkery. I designed and tested a drop in unit that allows safe firing of the 17M2 in a 10/22. I got so bored with the project that I shelved it.~Andrew

I remember replacing two ruger 10/22 barrels on 2 clubs guns that had had, 150,000 documented rounds down them. They were shot out and would no longer group.

so if you shot 300 bricks of ammo you could wear your bore similar. 20 yrs at just 15 bricks pa. that's like £500 + in ammo each year at current rates :o , so it sort of pails buying a new gun now and again ;)

Archived