.17 hornet

I've heard a lot about this calibre and I'm thinking it could be a good upgrade from a HMR. What sort of money does it take to get a rifle in this calibre? I assume it has to be a custom job? Are the cases made from standard hornet stock?

:lol::lol::lol: You were warned this site could be addictive :o:unsure:

Brass is made from necked down .22hornet, fire formed to .17ackley hornet, cheapest way?? source a .22 hornet donor rifle, hand it over to the likes of Col48 with a bit of cash he will chamber / thread etc a .17 cal blank barrel and fit it, or if like some of the lads on here, you are good on a lathe do the work yourself. :lol:

A 4000 fps Fireball is a bit of a step up from a HMR at 2400 or so.

If you want an easily modified so pretty quiet round other than the crack then a Hornet is a nice case to build on. If you go the .17 Hornet of any type you will need to reload as there is no factory ammo as far as I am aware. reloading is not a problem, you will pick that up in half a day. Only downside is the capital cost to set up and it is also adictive !!.

If you want to go factory only then either a .22 Hornet or the 17 Fireball.

A

I've got a lee press and some scales already for the 6.5x55, so I guess all I'd have to buy is another set of dies and a case holder? I do like reloading. I'm not totally tricked up on the fine tuning of a load yet but I can follow instructions from a manual ok. I think the main point of wanting a small cased centrefire .17 is so I can load my own ammo. HMR ammo is a rip off, so if I could make something better for the same cost I'd rather do that!

.17rem is a bit of a barrel burner isn't it? I think I would rather have something like a .22-250 or .220 swift if I was going to take that route?

A quick look in my reloading manual shows a .17 ackley bee? That looks cool. At 1cc case capacity, it's not far off the hornet (although the capacity of .17 hornet isn't listed, I assume it's somewhere near the .22 version?).

I am told that due to its tiny capacity and size this is a fiddley case to reload and maybe not one for a beginer. Might be as well to get reloading well under your belt while it is being built. Doner rifle is the way to go.

A

I find the 6.5 takes concentration, so you may be right there!

I'm thinking the cheapest way to do it would be to get hold of a well used CZ with a near shot out barrel and have that worked on. I guess the barrel would be the expensive bit anyway? What sort of cost would you put on the work, not including a donor rifle? I wouldn't want top of the range craftsmanship on the barrel, just something that would do the job.

I find the 6.5 takes concentration, so you may be right there!

I'm thinking the cheapest way to do it would be to get hold of a well used CZ with a near shot out barrel and have that worked on. I guess the barrel would be the expensive bit anyway? What sort of cost would you put on the work, not including a donor rifle? I wouldn't want top of the range craftsmanship on the barrel, just something that would do the job.

It depends who you get to do it, Callum or Norman are around £750 fitted and proofed. Others are somewhat cheaper.

A good barrel from the US is about $350, to that you have to add carriage,. VAT & import duty. £350 should cover it providing you do not get hit with a US export licence requirement, some barrel makes say they want one, others say not.

You pays your money etc.

A

Still much cheaper to buy the 17 fireball Rem and ready to go with factory ammo. They are not fiddly to do either, just buy the correct funnel to drop the powder in. I can do 20 17 rem in the same time I can do 20 6.5x 55 or 243 win, just use a hell of a lot less powder!

The secret with reloading is dont rush, do it when you have time to think what your doing and set your stall out neatly. I do not now load a big pile of ammo for anything, I do enough for what I think I will actually shoot and if a couple or so are left I shoot them first on the next outing. That way it is easy to do and doesnt take hours and you dont have ammo lying around, because as we have alreasy discussed it does change with time.

Redfox

Archived