Steyr Aug trigger tamer

maxxis35

Ratworx do a good charging handle at a good price, not sure whether it can be fitted by us mere mortals or a gun smith, it comes out at a 9 o clock angle and big enough for two fingers, when my ticket comes back i will look into one of these for mu AUG.

• 3 months later...

maxxis35, on 25 Mar 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

Ratworx do a good charging handle at a good price, not sure whether it can be fitted by us mere mortals or a gun smith, it comes out at a 9 o clock angle and big enough for two fingers, when my ticket comes back i will look into one of these for mu AUG.

The Ratworx handles are good but only fit the Aug A2 handle which is common over the pond where they were developed, unfortunately the majority of AUGs in the UK feature the A1 handle which has a different sized bar inside the plastic handle as it connects to the slider. It is possible to dremel and fill your way to a close-ish fit but it won't be perfect.

Armalons easy cam won't be ready any time soon, Peter told me so today as he's got far better things to concentrate on.

Besides, I can't see how it needs it.

A simple charging handle conversion using parts that cost less than £1.60 will make life a lot easier, or you could bite the billet and go for a right handed conversion.

That's what all the cool kids do

The easy cam for the Aug is now on sale at £147 and selling fast. I've just ordered one from the few they had left. I feel some faster loads coming on!

• 9 months later...

Well, they're a light and handy rifle, suited ideally to the action disciplines (they are a service rifle after all), and should have the minimum adornments. This is my opinion.

They're not really cut out to be a prone only gun, there's better ones available for that.

For positional shooting they're up there with the best of them and a trigger improvement is certainly a nice thing but strapping a bipod on and dedicating it to prone shooting is not keeping "within the spirit of the original"

Besides, with practise whatever advantage you think a bipod gives diminishes.

Bi pods do have their place on a bull pup , I used to carry one of these and they are usefull at times ,they would have been more useful if they were telescopic like a Harris. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAMAS

Anyone use N135 with .223 for straight pull?

I use N135 for my 1in8 .223 Rem, but it's a bolt action rifle.

If it's of any use, I've found 25.1 grains with a 55 V-Max the best, followed closely by 25.4 grains of the same.

Cheers

Jamie

• 1 year later...

Hello guys,

I stumbled upon this forum in my search of a few Steyr AUG parts.

I want to replace the civilian barrel release button with the militairy one.

To me these parts seem hard to find...

any help would be apreciated :)

Thanks

I too have a Steyr Aug and Low Mill Ranges fitted the following for me last year:

1) Trigger tamer fitted £59.95 (inc trig tamer)
2) Cocking handle £29.95
3) Quick release barrel modification £99
Trigger is now bearable and you do not need to be a body building to pull it: still not brilliant if I am being honest, but much better with it than without it.
The cocking handle modification is well worth the money and is much easier to pull back.
Also have one of baldies' muzzle brakes
223Muzzlebrake_zps8c6e17fc.jpg

Hello guys,

I stumbled upon this forum in my search of a few Steyr AUG parts.

I want to replace the civilian barrel release button with the militairy one.

To me these parts seem hard to find...

any help would be apreciated :)

Thanks

Low Mill Ranges fitted mine, see my post above.

The std triggers on those are unbelievably heavy. I was allowed a go on an NZ Army one on full auto. The guy showed me the "controls" and passed it over. I got ready and squeezed the trigger -> nothing. Pulled harder on it and still nothing. I asked the Army guy if I'd misheard him and I actually had the safety on. No, he replied, Just pull harder. Sure enough.. ;-O

The NZ/AUS AUGs are a 1-7 twist barrel , when they 1st came into service , most would shoot 1-2 inches , with a good one & shooter 1 inche was easy with a 1.5x sight , & the unique diamond zeroing targtets at 100m .

It's really not that hard to do any of the mods, I was the one who showed them how to do it inc the QR barrel upgrade.

Cocking handle's dead simple too

I do have a trigger Tamer here for sale if anyone is interested

Steyr Aug before and after pictures.

Before modifications and muzzle brake

Sections1-SteyrAug_zps2d6f8d9a.jpg

Barrel and charging handle modifications

Steyr%20Aug%20barrel%20modification_zpsx

• 3 months later...

Just re-found this thread.

Could I check my understanding of trigger improvements:

1. remove mold marks and polish

2. fit neu-trigger - a sear surface

3. fit trigger tamer - a delrin thing that changes the coil spring tension (alternative was the K&M that gave a choice of 3 positions)

And/ or

4. fit this thing from ratworx: http://www.ratworxusa.com/20-tsm-auga3

I'm confused!

The polish, neu and tamer can be used together. Where does the ratworx fit in all this? Does it remove the need for 1 & 2?

(Now that I've read up on it, the tamer looks the most insanely overpriced piece of plastic I've ever seen!)

Just re-found this thread.

Could I check my understanding of trigger improvements:

1. remove mold marks and polish

2. fit neu-trigger - a sear surface

3. fit trigger tamer - a delrin thing that changes the coil spring tension (alternative was the K&M that gave a choice of 3 positions)

And/ or

I'm confused!

The polish, neu and tamer can be used together. Where does the ratworx fit in all this? Does it remove the need for 1 & 2?

(Now that I've read up on it, the tamer looks the most insanely overpriced piece of plastic I've ever seen!)

With 2020 precision trigger sear mod U don't need the neu trigger,it replaces the original plastic sear with a smooth surfaced aluminum sear.

And/ or

I got one of those, a beautifully made replacement sear 'sled' with a slippery finish that removes the need for polishing and neu-trigger and reduces the take up a bit. It's basically an aluminium version of the existing sled shaped sear inside the trigger pack.

However, it doesn't fit the A1 trigger pack. As found in the Steyr Aug Z SPs supplied via Sportsman. It's overall length is about 3 mm too long for the designed travel with the trigger pack meaning the trigger release doesn't have enough room to release properly. Which was a real shame. I passed it on to a guy with an A2 (semi) and it works nicely.

You could mill the back a bit shorter of course but the trigger release surface benefit was about the same as the neu-trigger so I didn't see the point. The only benefit then was marginally less travel on the pull and it being a finely made bit of kit.

In summary:

• Polishing the hammer plastic locking surface and adding a neu-trigger to encase the sear release with shiny stainless will iron out the 'plastic on plastic' sticking problems making for a smooth pull.
  • The trigger tamer takes some of the pressure off the trigger pull, though worth noting they benefit from smoothing off the edges and sides. The spring pressure also holds in the rear locking pin so reducing the pressure further wouldn't be ideal (i.e. with one of the multiple spring point versions of the tamer you can get).
  • Taking out one of the hammer springs makes the cocking significantly easier.
  • You can optionally fit a pin or small block in the stock above the trigger housing to reduce trigger travel.

Archived