Steyr Aug trigger tamer

maxxis35

Having a Steyr AUG soon and want to put a trigger tamer on it, Low Mill Ranges won't have them for around three months, can anybody tell me if i could source one from Europe as the USA don't ship here.

Yrs ago I did a mod that quite a few shooters where doing to the NZ Service AUGs , real simple fix to make the trigger MUCH better in feel etc .

Trigger parts are molded as such they have a spree line down the center .

Take phots of trigger mech as you pull apart so you can re-assemble it afterwards .

Only 2 things needed to fix the trigger pull .

1 ) Take a sharp knife/fine file/1200 wet & dry paper , and carefully cut/remove the spree mold line from all trigger parts .

2 ) Shake some powdered graphite into trigger mech , DONE .

You will not believe who good that makes the std AUG trigger pull , so as far as I am concenred YOU donot need the USA trigger kit .

Later Chris

Yrs ago I did a mod that quite a few shooters where doing to the NZ Service AUGs , real simple fix to make the trigger MUCH better in feel etc .

Trigger parts are molded as such they have a spree line down the center .

Take phots of trigger mech as you pull apart so you can re-assemble it afterwards .

Only 2 things needed to fix the trigger pull .

1 ) Take a sharp knife/fine file/1200 wet & dry paper , and carefully cut/remove the spree mold line from all trigger parts .

You will not believe who good that makes the std AUG trigger pull , so as far as I am concenred YOU donot need the USA trigger kit .

Later Chris

Hi Chris, you know i was thinking on similar lines regarding these triggers, i didn't know of the mould line in the unit, but i was thinking about a polishing job on the trigger with some kind of dremmel hand tool and the appropriate tool on it, will certainly give it a go when you think the tamer is £60 for a little piece of plastic, thanks for the info.

Hi Chris, you know i was thinking on similar lines regarding these triggers, i didn't know of the mould line in the unit, but i was thinking about a polishing job on the trigger with some kind of dremmel hand tool and the appropriate tool on it, will certainly give it a go when you think the tamer is £60 for a little piece of plastic, thanks for the info.

.... TT does work reasonable well-I don't know if it's possible to get say a 3 lb smooth release by any method.Be interesting to find out...now,that slide back bit for ejecting the cases...a mini bullworker...and how to fit a bipod....otherwise,quite a nice,slightly overweight rifle!

george

You cannot reduce the pull on an AUG below 5lbs safely, because one of the other springs in there overides the trigger spring.

I have an AUG which i bought s/h from a friend. He is a handy lad and made several "tamers" up from delrin. The weight being dictated by the length of a slot, and the spring position in it. He got the weight down to 3lbs, but the hammer was dropping on bolt going into battery.

Wet and dry and a home made jobby made mine so sweet.

IMG_1372_crop.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a neu-trigger for my AUG, which is essentially a laser cut stainless steel shape which clips round the hammer release slider. Improved the pull significantly just through the friction surface change, now nice and smooth with no stacking and a shade lighter without messing with the spring tensions. Combined with a trigger tamer and it's sweeter than your average AR. I have yet to measure it lb pull wise but it's as good as it gets safely.

http://www.neu-trigger.com/

Now then, while neutrigger and trigger tamer are US delivery it's easy enough to use a service like http://www.shipito.com/ to have items forwarded on from a US box address, I think I paid $35 shipping by Fedex.

If you want to ease the straight pull work out a bit, try taking one of the two hammer springs out, a popular mod amongst US AUG shooters. Still handles civvy primers just fine, I'm not too concerned about having to punch military primers in arctic conditions!

:)

1in9sAug.jpg

The polishing and flashing removal trick definitely helps. I would also suggest using a ladies synthetic nail buffer for a final finish, you can get it quite shiny with a buff after the wet and dry.

Graphite wise be very wary of Aluminium parts, not sure if there are any in the Aug but worth checking carefully before adding any as galvanic corrosion is no fun.

I bought a neu-trigger for my AUG, which is essentially a laser cut stainless steel shape which clips round the hammer release slider. Improved the pull significantly just through the friction surface change, now nice and smooth with no stacking and a shade lighter without messing with the spring tensions. Combined with a trigger tamer and it's sweeter than your average AR. I have yet to measure it lb pull wise but it's as good as it gets safely.

http://www.neu-trigger.com/

Now then, while neutrigger and trigger tamer are US delivery it's easy enough to use a service like http://www.shipito.com/ to have items forwarded on from a US box address, I think I paid $35 shipping by Fedex.

If you want to ease the straight pull work out a bit, try taking one of the two hammer springs out, a popular mod amongst US AUG shooters. Still handles civvy primers just fine, I'm not too concerned about having to punch military primers in arctic conditions!

1in9sAug.jpg

Thanks Iin9

I think Armalon in UK will Have a kind of 'easy cam' (aka AR15) assist on the market pretty soon,but not cheap?

The other challenge is a bipod attachment,stud,rail,picatinny with adaptors etc-is there anything you can suggest ? Or detail,as the photo seem to have such that retains the forward grip-excellent.

g

What on earth do you want to put a bipod on a Steyr Aug for?

I have an interest in hitting where I aim,rather than within a foot or so. And I can't shoot off hand well enough to hit tennis balls at 500 yards. Being an atheist,spray and pray won't work for me,I don't think. It would just be nice to have the option. Just as a better trigger helps.Bipods usually come off too,quite easily.

These are some of my reasons.If you don't like them,I have some more,and am always open to informed advice.

Let's start with why you would not want a bipod.

g

Well, they're a light and handy rifle, suited ideally to the action disciplines (they are a service rifle after all), and should have the minimum adornments. This is my opinion.

They're not really cut out to be a prone only gun, there's better ones available for that.

For positional shooting they're up there with the best of them and a trigger improvement is certainly a nice thing but strapping a bipod on and dedicating it to prone shooting is not keeping "within the spirit of the original"

Besides, with practise whatever advantage you think a bipod gives diminishes.

Thanks Iin9

I think Armalon in UK will Have a kind of 'easy cam' (aka AR15) assist on the market pretty soon,but not cheap?

The other challenge is a bipod attachment,stud,rail,picatinny with adaptors etc-is there anything you can suggest ? Or detail,as the photo seem to have such that retains the forward grip-excellent.

g

Ratworx in the USA do a beautifully made double picatinny rail to replace the front handle with, which simply allen keys on and is very solid. Allowing you to add your own handle (I prefere a magpul angled grip) or a bipod.

As it's an accessory under $99 and not a component part they will ship to the UK. Mine arrived in just four days. You can see one fitted in Baldies pic.

http://www.ratworxusa.com/pagDetail.aspx?SKU=RW-TR-1A-Grip-Rail-2020-Precision

TR-1A-Grip-Rail-Steyr-Aug.JPG

My other top tip is a flash hider. You can't get UNF flash hiders for love nor money it seems, however Jon at CPG Design makes them and very nice they are too. (again also seen in Baldie's pic - great minds)

http://www.cpgdesign.co.uk/#!muzzle-brakes

The big headache for the AUGs is the handles which are too damn small and close to the scope. There are some aftermarket ones available in the US but they are designed for the spring folding A2 handle and we have the A1 on the European Aug Z. It is possible to modify an A2 handle slider to fit (by dremeling a few thou of it to fit the smaller A1 slot) but trying to get one out of UK Steyr distributors the Sportsman Gun Centre has proved impossible, I gave up after 10 months of emails.

A thoroughly nice bloke in the US who makes the low profile Gear Head handles is looking at doing an A1 version sometime this year, I live in hope - http://gearheadworks.com/

Well, they're a light and handy rifle, suited ideally to the action disciplines (they are a service rifle after all), and should have the minimum adornments. This is my opinion.

They're not really cut out to be a prone only gun, there's better ones available for that.

For positional shooting they're up there with the best of them and a trigger improvement is certainly a nice thing but strapping a bipod on and dedicating it to prone shooting is not keeping "within the spirit of the original"

Besides, with practise whatever advantage you think a bipod gives diminishes.

Thanks,helpful but not really a surprise-obviously I rather like the Aug too.My Aug is not a service rifle-man op for a start,and I've taken off the silly flash hider,as I don't expect return counterfire.Trigger really is poor,not altogether by design,but it needs some improvement. I hope the bipod will not be welded on,but as readily detached as most bipods are.It just adds some choice. You must have bigger (tennis) balls than I have-practice does help,but it won't outdo a bipod-though I don't intend the Aug to be an exclusively prone rifle.And I don't want a bipod on the winchester l/a. Re the redundancy of bipods- the Fclass and BR shooters seem hesitant-indeed want ever better front rests.Of course,you are a service rifle fan,which I accept,with all its satisfactions and limitations/challenges The spirit of most such is to kill/wound the enemy.I don't get that. buzz. But it would do so better in some situations if it had a bipod.I don't scope my 9x56 M/S carbine-not in the spirit of the original,a gentleman's rifle.If someone gets their kicks from original service rifles,fine by me.When they say they are just as accurate etc, it is demonstrably optimistic.I believe the military also have a policy of improving their rifles. And "within the spirit of the original" has the clear ring of a civilian phrase,for those who want a reasonably level playing field,even if it isn't Eton,and that is fine,too.It also reduces greatly the 'equipment race' aspects.But 'live and let live' surely,if no harm ensues?

We don't have a Bisley in my neck of the woods for 'service rifle' and similar. But troops on the military ranges-they are rather extensive-seem quite taken by the Aug,though whether they would like the service SA80 so improved seems a sensitive issue. I hope you are generous enough to accept my peculiarities,and leave me a leg (preferably two) to stand on.I just wish we could get some 'as issue' mil surplus,instead of all this accurate hand loaded and commercial ammo- it's not in the spirit of the original,either.Do you agree? :)

Ratworx in the USA do a beautifully made double picatinny rail to replace the front handle with, which simply allen keys on and is very solid. Allowing you to add your own handle (I prefere a magpul angled grip) or a bipod.

As it's an accessory under $99 and not a component part they will ship to the UK. Mine arrived in just four days. You can see one fitted in Baldies pic.

http://www.ratworxusa.com/pagDetail.aspx?SKU=RW-TR-1A-Grip-Rail-2020-Precision

TR-1A-Grip-Rail-Steyr-Aug.JPG

My other top tip is a flash hider. You can't get UNF flash hiders for love nor money it seems, however Jon at CPG Design makes them and very nice they are too. (again also seen in Baldie's pic - great minds)

http://www.cpgdesign.co.uk/#!muzzle-brakes

The big headache for the AUGs is the handles which are too damn small and close to the scope. There are some aftermarket ones available in the US but they are designed for the spring folding A2 handle and we have the A1 on the European Aug Z. It is possible to modify an A2 handle slider to fit (by dremeling a few thou of it to fit the smaller A1 slot) but trying to get one out of UK Steyr distributors the Sportsman Gun Centre has proved impossible, I gave up after 10 months of emails.

A thoroughly nice bloke in the US who makes the low profile Gear Head handles is looking at doing an A1 version sometime this year, I live in hope - http://gearheadworks.com/

HI 1 in 9-thanks-I saw Dave's too. If Bradders lets me,I'll chase this ratworx picatinny rail one up- at least,I have a flash hider,though it's surplus with a mod on(sorry Bradders,fait accompli,but it screws off too) :) Armalon's 'handle' is due to be released soon-maybe reviewed in next month's Shooting Sports mag .I haven't yet stripped my fingers,despite a quite big scope(Burris laser),but I'll check gearhead too-it really is a bit of a mini bullworker as is!

atb

george

Thanks,helpful but not really a surprise-obviously I rather like the Aug too.My Aug is not a service rifle-man op for a start,and I've taken off the silly flash hider,as I don't expect return counterfire.Trigger really is poor,not altogether by design,but it needs some improvement. I hope the bipod will not be welded on,but as readily detached as most bipods are.It just adds some choice. You must have bigger (tennis) balls than I have-practice does help,but it won't outdo a bipod-though I don't intend the Aug to be an exclusively prone rifle.And I don't want a bipod on the winchester l/a. Re the redundancy of bipods- the Fclass and BR shooters seem hesitant-indeed want ever better front rests.Of course,you are a service rifle fan,which I accept,with all its satisfactions and limitations/challenges The spirit of most such is to kill/wound the enemy.I don't get that. buzz. But it would do so better in some situations if it had a bipod.I don't scope my 9x56 M/S carbine-not in the spirit of the original,a gentleman's rifle.If someone gets their kicks from original service rifles,fine by me.When they say they are just as accurate etc, it is demonstrably optimistic.I believe the military also have a policy of improving their rifles. And "within the spirit of the original" has the clear ring of a civilian phrase,for those who want a reasonably level playing field,even if it isn't Eton,and that is fine,too.It also reduces greatly the 'equipment race' aspects.But 'live and let live' surely,if no harm ensues?

We don't have a Bisley in my neck of the woods for 'service rifle' and similar. But troops on the military ranges-they are rather extensive-seem quite taken by the Aug,though whether they would like the service SA80 so improved seems a sensitive issue. I hope you are generous enough to accept my peculiarities,and leave me a leg (preferably two) to stand on.I just wish we could get some 'as issue' mil surplus,instead of all this accurate hand loaded and commercial ammo- it's not in the spirit of the original,either.Do you agree? :)

Actually the idea isn't to kill/wound the enemy, the idea is to get a better score than your competitors (while shooting at a paper target) and have fun along the way.

You mention F Class, could you show me a pic of a F Class shooter using an Aug? ;-)

Mine is pretty handy for foxing and I've won a couple of minor club comps with it. Sadly there isn't much modern service rifle shooting in my neck of the woods but I'd definitely like to have a go at a multi range course sometime. The flash hider is more for show really, looks nicer than a thread protector when I haven't got the A-TEC on it.

I've shot it out to 350 yards at Catton and it was dinging kill zone gongs merrily with 75gn PRVI match. The trigger improvements have made quite a difference so now dedicating some time to find a nice homeload.

One other interesting note is I've got the barrel quick release fully operational, care of some parts off some AUG shooters across the pond, it certainly makes cleaning easier!

Out of interest do you straight pull shooters crimp your rounds? Just musing about the effects of brass being hurled into the breech.

Anyone use N135 with .223 for straight pull?

Used to be popular with 80's many years ago, but the recipe changed and it fell out of favour.

Popular powders now are N140 and RL15

Used to be popular with 80's many years ago, but the recipe changed and it fell out of favour.

Popular powders now are N140 and RL

Mine is pretty handy for foxing and I've won a couple of minor club comps with it. Sadly there isn't much modern service rifle shooting in my neck of the woods but I'd definitely like to have a go at a multi range course sometime. The flash hider is more for show really, looks nicer than a thread protector when I haven't got the A-TEC on it.

I've shot it out to 350 yards at Catton and it was dinging kill zone gongs merrily with 75gn PRVI match. The trigger improvements have made quite a difference so now dedicating some time to find a nice homeload.

One other interesting note is I've got the barrel quick release fully operational, care of some parts off some AUG shooters across the pond, it certainly makes cleaning easier!

Out of interest do you straight pull shooters crimp your rounds? Just musing about the effects of brass being hurled into the breech.

There's no reason to crimp, there's plenty of tension already.

Re the barrel release mod, I've been doing that to AUG's since they became available here as well as cocking handle conversions.

Re the barrel release mod, I've been doing that since they became available here.

HI 1 in 9-thanks-I saw Dave's too. If Bradders lets me,I'll chase this ratworx picatinny rail one up- at least,I have a flash hider,though it's surplus with a mod on(sorry Bradders,fait accompli,but it screws off too) :) Armalon's 'handle' is due to be released soon-maybe reviewed in next month's Shooting Sports mag .I haven't yet stripped my fingers,despite a quite big scope(Burris laser),but I'll check gearhead too-it really is a bit of a mini bullworker as is!

atb

george

UK spec AUG's didn't come with flash hiders. If yours has one it's been done by someone else.

Armalons easy cam won't be ready any time soon, Peter told me so today as he's got far better things to concentrate on.

Besides, I can't see how it needs it.

t to AUG's since they became available here as well as cocking handle conversions.

Re the barrel release mod, I've been doing tha

atb

george

UK spec AUG's didn't come with flash hiders. If yours has one it's been done by someone else.

Armalons easy cam won't be ready any time soon, Peter told me so today as he's got far better things to concentrate on.

A simple charging handle conversion using parts that cost less than £1.60 will make life a lot easier, or you could bite the billet and go for a right handed conversion.

That's what all the cool kids do

A simple charging handle conversion using parts that cost less than £1.60 will make life a lot easier, or you could bite the billet and go for a right handed conversion.

Hi Bradders-thanks for an informative reply- you would be better informed,just that Peter/Armalon told me yesterday the charging handle would be ready in less than a month.Do some of us need it-well,every reviewer has commented on it being a bit heavy,the ones I've tried were too.Most who try say a jewel trigger on almost any trigger rather like them,and they sell well,or say Giselle in the black rifle-why-it's better!! If there is nothing with the Aug trigger, ,why does a simple conversion 'will make life a lot easier'-seems to conceede something is harder than it should be,at least for others.You may be happy without it-fine..A right handed option would be nice,irrespective of the effort issue.OK-forget the inconsistencies/quibbles-where do these 'cool kids' get this kind of work done? Mature shooters-some of them-might like the ideas too,functionally.I think some information would be welcomed by quite a few Aug owners.If you want to 'shoot from the hip' with your personal preferences,ok-but it would be appreciated if you could share your obvious knowledge too.The barrel release mod would facilitate cleaning,and would also be 'in the spirit of the original',so no problems with that! Radway Green is sometimes in the spirit of the original too-a kind of longer range Brown Bess.No shame to improve on that!

g

Glad I'm on the right track then, I've been using N140 thus far!

A simple charging handle conversion using parts that cost less than £1.60 will make life a lot easier

Please tell me more about the the charging handle conversion, sounds interesting.

Archived