centrefire for foxing

^varmints^

I use a Lica rangemaster 1200. And my lamp is a 170 lightforce. With no filter. My scope is a zeiss victory 6-24x56. On a good clear night you will see a fox out to 500y.

Sorry dead eye, I'm not saying you can't see that far under a lamp (without a filer) but 500 yards is just too far for me.

Don't want to take this off topic though as its been interesting so far.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For the guys that claim to shoot foxes at 300-400yds regularly, I suggest they invest in a rangefinder. :D :D :D

Who quoted they shot foxes regularly at 3-400 yards regularly? I cant see any mention of it in this thread?

Deadeye,

I have a 170lightforce and 6-24x56 Zeiss Victory with FL glass too. I go out lamping regularly and my eyes are 20-20 without glasses, If you think you can make out a fox at 500yds with that set up your dreaming.

If you care to ask DazB or minkstone on here they can vouch for me having the same set up.

Let me get this right,

You see a fox under the lamp at 500yds, range it, dial it in, then take the shot, all done at night under lamp and the fox is good enough to wait around for you ??? All that being done with little regard for the wind too ???

When I go out I see a fox and usually have a few seconds at most to take a shot before he is on his toes. If I am lucky I will get a confident one to wait around for a few more seconds but I have never in all my years had such obliging foxes as you seem to have.

My 20cal is set up for foxing, zero'd at 170m and still able to take a fox at 300m with a 3-4" holdover. I know its 300m because thats the limit of my Lightforce 170, if I cannot see clearly, it its out of range.

Just for your information.

If you shot a 22-250 with a 53 grain V-Max at 3800fps with a 180yd zero at a fox 500yds away you would have to give it 23" holdover and 14" windage, and that is with only a 6mph wind??????

This is getting even more unlikely the more I listen.

You need to practice more Ronny, my .22lr does this with boring regularity....

At the ranges we shoot fox under the lamp any of the centrefires mentioned will do the job if the person behind it knows how to drive it.

Deadeye,

I have a 170lightforce and 6-24x56 Zeiss Victory with FL glass too. I go out lamping regularly and my eyes are 20-20 without glasses, If you think you can make out a fox at 500yds with that set up your dreaming.

If you care to ask DazB or minkstone on here they can vouch for me having the same set up.

Let me get this right,

You see a fox under the lamp at 500yds, range it, dial it in, then take the shot, all done at night under lamp and the fox is good enough to wait around for you ??? All that being done with little regard for the wind too ???

When I go out I see a fox and usually have a few seconds at most to take a shot before he is on his toes. If I am lucky I will get a confident one to wait around for a few more seconds but I have never in all my years had such obliging foxes as you seem to have.

My 20cal is set up for foxing, zero'd at 170m and still able to take a fox at 300m with a 3-4" holdover. I know its 300m because thats the limit of my Lightforce 170, if I cannot see clearly, it its out of range.

Just for your information.

If you shot a 22-250 with a 53 grain V-Max at 3800fps with a 180yd zero at a fox 500yds away you would have to give it 23" holdover and 14" windage, and that is with only a 6mph wind??????

This is getting even more unlikely the more I listen.

You shouldn't mark others by your own limitations.

Most of my shots are taken between 100-200 yards. But there are often situations when a long shot is called for.

If you have never seen a fox that won't come in and just sits out there thinking he is safe. Then you are not getting out shooting enough.

I am not trying to insult you but I won't be called a lier.

Ok, If you can see foxes under 170 lightforce lamp and hit them at 500yds in normal UK conditions taking account of range and wind I am very very very very impressed.

I will leave it there.

Well Done.

Less said the better. ;-)

I see you are a 20 practical shooter. Is ther much difference between 20 tac and yours or are they the same thing.

Did you have a tikka tac first and re barrel it to 20 cal. Or what.

Either one is something I would like to try In the future.

Less said the better. ;-)

I see you are a 20 practical shooter. Is ther much difference between 20 tac and yours or are they the same thing.

Did you have a tikka tac first and re barrel it to 20 cal. Or what.

Either one is something I would like to try In the future.

Stick with .22/250 much better!

hi this thread is hot..., didnt expect so much info and opinions on each caliber, its funny with the 20cal and 22cal guys firing the facts and the opinions Lol. Im going with something factory not wildcat as i dont know enough about wildcats. want to go with 204 or 22-250 whatever is the best deal.

The 20Tac is a wilcat with a 20cal bullet sat in a necked down .223rem case with the shoulder very slightly changed.

The 20Practical is another wildcat with a 20cal bullet sat in a necked down .223rem case.

I chose the 20 practical because there is no messing around with fireforming cases or having toget hold of 20TAC dies. If you look at the video below it shows how easy it is to make 20practical rounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afKwDWHcrP8

Ballistically I am pretty sure there is very little if anything between them, I am getting 3800-3900 fps out of mine using 39grain SBK's.

Impressive. They are supposed to be more economical that a .204 to reload for. It is on he list for my next caliber.

I used a 6mm ppc for the last 8 years, now sold sadly,,,, but to be honest my drop tables for it were not much different than my 223??, but the accuracy of a 6mm ppc is awesome,,

I did have a look at the new 17 hornet round at the show yesterday, NOW that looks interesting especially for my smaller farms, just don't like the appearance of the savage that they all seem to be chambered in??, that is until the CZ comes on sale,,, i know that mike Norris of Brock and Norris does a really nice tuned up CZ now that would be nice in 17 hornet,,,,

I have also been looking at the ballistics of the 20 ppc and i think that one of these would be a good choice for my next go-to fox rifle and have the ability to perform in BR comps as well due to its ppc heritage,,, two jobs in one????

But i already own a set of 20 br dies,,, choices choices choices,,,,,,, might have to spend a bit of money this year :mad::mad:

Foxing2night

If you used a 6PPC for that long I would definitely go with the 20PPC for your next fox gun!

As you know the brass quality is greart and the accuray is unbeliveable.

The 20BR is good for the heavier projectiles, 50 and 55's.

Glenn

A friend of mine is building a .22-250 on a 1-8 twist. He wants to shoot 53g V-Max and 75g A-Max. I will know more by next week.

deadeye wanting to do the same in 223 been told by some one who knows a thing or to that its best to chose one or the other

hi this thread is hot..., didnt expect so much info and opinions on each caliber, its funny with the 20cal and 22cal guys firing the facts and the opinions Lol. Im going with something factory not wildcat as i dont know enough about wildcats. want to go with 204 or 22-250 whatever is the best deal.

hi buddy ive not used the 22 250 but do have 22br and 204 ,personally i think both are fine but if it was one or the other it would be the 22br the 204 can be a bit exslosive with a poorly place shot {before any body pulls me up on bad shots we have all done it at some point} where with the 22 cals they can be a bit more forgiving.so id go 22 250 out of the two

hi buddy ive not used the 22 250 but do have 22br and 204 ,personally i think both are fine but if it was one or the other it would be the 22br the 204 can be a bit exslosive with a poorly place shot {before any body pulls me up on bad shots we have all done it at some point} where with the 22 cals they can be a bit more forgiving.so id go 22 250 out of the two

hi yeah there seems to be more 22-250 about and less 204, im looking a light walking rifle so maybe a sako finnlight or hunter stainless, glass wisemaybe nightforce nxs or sightron. i intend to reload, the .22-250 gains 400fps over a 223, is the recoil really harsh on them, have never fired one, there isnt much recoil on 223

hi yeah there seems to be more 22-250 about and less 204, im looking a light walking rifle so maybe a sako finnlight or hunter stainless, glass wisemaybe nightforce nxs or sightron. i intend to reload, the .22-250 gains 400fps over a 223, is the recoil really harsh on them, have never fired one, there isnt much recoil on 223

like i said not used 22 250,my 22br fires 32 gr of powder in 18 pound rifle so its quite tame,all i know about the 22 250 is what ive read and in a light weight rifle it may be a little jumpy

like i said not used 22 250,my 22br fires 32 gr of powder in 18 pound rifle so its quite tame,all i know about the 22 250 is what ive read and in a light weight rifle it may be a little jumpy

My .22/250 is a tikka t3 lite with a jetz compact suppressor, using 36.5grns of varget, no recoil to speak of and always spot my shots.

Makes a superb foxing setup as 90% of mine is done on foot. Shoots just as good off the back of a truck aswell!

My .22/250 is a tikka t3 lite with a jetz compact suppressor, using 36.5grns of varget, no recoil to speak of and always spot my shots. Makes a superb foxing setup as 90% of mine is done on foot. Shoots just as good off the back of a truck aswell!

hi mate,do you think its the mod that tames the recoil all ways thought they jump a bit

hi mate,do you think its the mod that tames the recoil all ways thought they jump a bit

Yes the mod tames it, but even with the mod off its not really noticable, think its more to do with how you load the bipod. I don't even think about it, it all just happens when the shot is on.

OK-but remember the 22/250 has been around 40 years more than the 204 (ie since 1964),so the numbers reflect that,probably more than any particular advantage. The 22/250 has a bit more recoil than the 223,fair bit less than 243.Not a huge amount more,but a moderator would certainly reduce muzle jump-which is the issue-unless you are one of the supershots,you might need to see bullet splash from your first shot sometimes....and if you are a supershot,you need to see the hit to confirm your prowess! As many have said,any of these cartridges do just fine,as do quite a few others-you can choose how much bang for your buck you want.Sako is a good choice,doubt you need nxs/similar-it's 'too good' and heavier,but nice!

george

Foxing2night

If you used a 6PPC for that long I would definitely go with the 20PPC for your next fox gun!

As you know the brass quality is greart and the accuray is unbeliveable.

The 20BR is good for the heavier projectiles, 50 and 55's.

Glenn

Cheer,s Glen,, I have had a long hard think about this and i will be going down the 20 ppc route,,,

RGDS Darrel ;)

as foxing to night and tackb say nothing wrong with .223 i used to shoot a .223 and was delighted with it untill Dave (valkerie) pointed me in the direction of .20tac absolutely fantastic calibre but you have got to roll your own to have this cal but what a cal.

i would say .20tac as i remember asking a gunsmith friend what is his choice for a foxer = the .20tac !! hees built a few and think hes building his second one for himself ! but iv never shot one ! i now use 223AI & VLDs but only because thats the caliber i allready had !

Hi I currently use a .223 for foxing. A friend is considering a new rifle prob a 1000 budget hes unsure of calibre hes torn between .204 and .22_250 he intends to reload any suggestions

Consider going up to a .243" or down to a .22 hornet. Not as daft as it seems hard to beat a .243 at long range foxing especially in wind and it can also be used for all deer, very little can compare with the ease of moderation and long barrel life and cheap shooting etc of the old .22 hornet that is also good for small game. One needs to get their priorities in order and get the gun that suits them

Archived